• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Ditko inspire Venom

19 posts in this topic

I was reading a reprint of the story "I Come From The Shadow World" from  Tales of Suspense 7 and struck me how similar this story was to the Venom symbiote. Even the way the figure is drawn resembles the later creation even down to the Spider-man eyes and as the story unfolds it reminded me of when Peter was being taken over at night without him being aware that anything was happening. Of course I know that this is impossible however what do any of the members think. 

I agree that it could be an amazing coincidence (thumbsu wasn't there a thread early last year that spoke of the person who created the thought of venom? I wish i could find the name of it, but the gist of it was there was a marvel contest that wanted the best idea and the Guy's venom won? It might have just been the symbiote, I'd be curious to read it again.... he had no control over the property so he didn't get any royalties....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Actually I viewed a video on Youtube tonight that mentioned that very story it was a contest and Jim Shooter offered him $250 or a chance to write the story which he choose to do however Tom Defalco was not impressed.  They mention a book called Comic creators on Spider-man and that they wanted Venom to be a woman. 

2 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Actually I viewed a video on Youtube tonight that mentioned that very story it was a contest and Jim Shooter offered him $250 or a chance to write the story which he choose to do however Tom Defalco was not impressed.  They mention a book called Comic creators on Spider-man and that they wanted Venom to be a woman. 

Didn't venom as a woman eventually happen? I don't know that story line, I'd be curious if the eventually ran with it... I'll try and watch the video and find out :)

45 minutes ago, tv horror said:

It was Eddie's wife who became She-Venom when he sent her a piece through the mail I think it was in Venom lethal protector 1.

I've read a few venom books but have managed to hold on to very little. 

3 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

The origins of Venom trickle all the way back to Iron Fist...believe it or not.

Do you remember around what books? That would be quite a plot twist...

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've read a few venom books but have managed to hold on to very little. 

Do you remember around what books? That would be quite a plot twist...

It's indirect, so there's no specific books I can point out.

Here's a link:

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/FAQ/listing.asp?ID=7&T1=Miscellaneous+Questions#96

9 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

It's indirect, so there's no specific books I can point out.

Here's a link:

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/FAQ/listing.asp?ID=7&T1=Miscellaneous+Questions#96

Interesting..... so John Byrne is the "JB"? Well it sounds like a lot of collaborative factors. It doesn't really say but I would think that when it was an idea for iron fist was before the time of venom by quite a bit? Must have been a real winner for them to remember when it came time for venom...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Spelling

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I agree that it could be an amazing coincidence (thumbsu wasn't there a thread early last year that spoke of the person who created the thought of venom? I wish i could find the name of it, but the gist of it was there was a marvel contest that wanted the best idea and the Guy's venom won? It might have just been the symbiote, I'd be curious to read it again.... he had no control over the property so he didn't get any royalties....

Here's the link to the thread.

There's also an article from the fan himself that i found interesting as well.

Has anyone an opinion on  "I Come From The Shadow World" from  Tales of Suspense 7?   I would love to hear what other fans thought about this story. It would be great if someone edited this story and the origin of Venom together just to see the result, my skills are useless on the PC.

0ee31f2d6a82d8f086b373aa2f5290c6.jpg

8 hours ago, tv horror said:

Actually I viewed a video on Youtube tonight that mentioned that very story it was a contest and Jim Shooter offered him $250 or a chance to write the story which he choose to do however Tom Defalco was not impressed.  They mention a book called Comic creators on Spider-man  and that they wanted Venom to be a woman. 

I heartily recommend the 'Comic Creators On' series if you haven't read them. They're nothing but interviews by Tom DeFalco with various creators of that specific series. There's some great stuff. I know of at least 3: Spider-Man, X-Men, and Fantastic Four. 

The issue also has the Molten Man-Thing.  Interesting mash-up there.

To me, the alien just looks and behaves like DC’s Shadow Thief, with TOS 7 being the first of the two to use the idea.

Interesting that the room it’s captured in resembles a Tardis.