• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bagged Grail, Selling Whales ! NEW BOOKS ADDED PAGE 11
11 11

248 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2018 at 10:21 PM, Bunky Brian said:

DETECTIVE COMICS #31
CGC Grade: 0.5 PR
Price: $26,000

SEP. 1939; Cream To Off-White Pages. Spine of cover completely split and cover detached. Classic Bob Kane cover and art. First appearance of the Batplane, the Monk and Julie Madison. Gardner Fox and Jerry Siegal stories. Fred Guardineer and Joe Shuster art.

tec_31_05_cgc_2016.jpg

Great books .

Edited by Timely

1 hour ago, Timely said:

Great books, but how can this book only be a .5 when the Tek #35 is missing the entire back cover and it too is a .5, makes no sense at all to me! 

The cover is detached according to the label.  Doesn’t that almost automatically mean a .5?

6 minutes ago, Changer said:

I have seen a cover detached as high as a 3.0. Depending on the condition of the cover. I have a pretty cover that is split and detached 1.0 (all-star 8), so that Tec should at least be .75 if they made those.

I own a detached cover at CGC 1.5, so as you say the detached cover does not automatically make a book a 0.5.

Sorry to the owner of the sales thread for posting.

Bunky, good luck with the sale, and FANTASTIC books. Just wow.

Edited by Artboy99

2 hours ago, Timely said:

Great books, but how can this book only be a .5 when the Tek #35 is missing the entire back cover and it too is a .5, makes no sense at all to me! 

Agreed and I made these same remarks the other day. This should in a 1.0 holder at the very least as long as it is complete. I know buy the book not the grade but it’s confusing now that CGC is putting more and more complete books in 0.5 holders that for the most part were once reserved for incomplete books. 

Edited by gino2paulus2
Also just to add look at the last 2 GPA sales of a 1.0 which this should be (this is a great deal wish i had the money!!)

13 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Agreed and I made these same remarks the other day. This should in a 1.0 holder at the very least as long as it is complete. I know buy the book not the grade but it’s confusing now that CGC is putting more and more complete books in 0.5 holders that for the most part were once reserved for incomplete books. 

Well in CGC defense, the BC looks the same, as FC, with lots of paper loss on the spine area, its a rough, but complete book, so ... (shrug) 

And Not going to derail this AWESOME thread but just look at this example currently up for auction. What is the major difference? btw got to hold this copy in Cleveland last year thanks to a boardie!! As you can see i am pretty passionate that this Tec 31 should be a 1.0 if you can’t tell!! As a collector of low grade GA Classic covers Please Revisit this policy CGC!!  

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=758969

4 minutes ago, Bunky Brian said:

Well in CGC defense, the BC looks the same, as FC, with lots of paper loss on the spine area, its a rough, but complete book, so ... (shrug) 

Sooooo...should be a 1.0 ? and your price is VERY reasonable!! again great books bro!!

26 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Sooooo...should be a 1.0 ? and your price is VERY reasonable!! again great books bro!!

OK, you the man, I will raise the price, accordingly, the boardies can thank you for that Gino heheheheh 

kidding,

Edited by Bunky Brian

This thread was a weekend treat for sure...to watch these whales sell one by one.  In complete awe!

Congratulations Brian on securing a grail.  Like most, I’ve only experienced that thrill on smaller levels, but you sure must’ve gotten one of the big two as has been speculated to hold this kind of sale. If so I (worship) to you. 

Great guy, congrats again!

Edited by DST

5 minutes ago, Bunky Brian said:

OK, you the man, I will raise the price, accordingly, the boardies can thank you for that Gino heheheheh 

kidding,

? you da man!!

I just follow these lower grade books so closely and thought I had my head wrapped around the grades and this one throws me for a loop. We can all agree not all 1.0s are built the same presentation and PQ wise but at least we KNOW they are complete even with some paper loss as seen in the link as well. I have quite a few 1.0s and 1.5s with complete spine splits so it must be the paper loss. I would just like to know what the max is allowed to sneak it into the 1.0 holder. If this was on a wall at a show I would assume the BC was missing or something based on the # (as Timely mentioned as well) 

So I guess it just all goes back to the buy the book not just the grade and we will have to live with that for now...

Now more importantly when do we get to know what the grail is I know i’m not the only one who has this going...:popcorn:

40 minutes ago, Shawnismaximus said:

The fact that one person owned all these (and is selling them to buy something even more expensive) is completely mind blowing to me.

Here I thought I was pretty cool for owning a copy of New Mutants 98 lol.

^^^^^^^^^^^

Puts my TMNT 3 Laird sign and Miller sketch cover into perspective