• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I find it's b s that major AHs won't purchase graders notes for auctions 5k+
1 1

46 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2018 at 8:55 AM, Pirate said:

So the AH should pocket the cost?

Because they could make more money once a person knows if a press, etc... would help. But who wants to make more for a few dollar investment?

The detriment would be that it actually will only go as high as the grade. (What they were getting already):gossip:

Edited by ygogolak

1 hour ago, Knightsofold said:

I think graders notes should be free to anyone with a cgc membership.  But I understand they have no reason to throw away profit.  

Someone said the notes cost $5, anytime I bought em they were $15, not $5.  Did the price go down?

It depends on the original submission level(?).  I bought them for a B&B 44 and they were $5.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=2826

4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

It depends on the original submission level(?).  I bought them for a B&B 44 and they were $5.  It was a book I was looking to buy off ebay, but the photos were wonky and the seller was unresponsive.

18 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
37 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

It depends on the original submission level(?).  I bought them for a B&B 44 and they were $5.

That's the prices of your own book you're submitting. Not for someone else to buy the notes of your book.

Unless I'm missing something.

I'm not sure.  I just plugged in the cert # and credit card info, and was charged $5 for the information.  Maybe it is a straight $5 fee for any book, I do not really know.

Sorry, I'm not a CGC member, nor do I submit books.

The notes on the B&B 44 were emailed to me in about 24 hours.

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/cgc-grader-notes.aspx

Edited by lizards2

46 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I'm not sure.  I just plugged in the cert # and credit card info, and was charged $5 for the information.  Maybe it is a straight $5 fee for any book, I do not really know.

Sorry, I'm not a CGC member, nor do I submit books.

The notes on the B&B 44 were emailed to me in about 24 hours.

https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/cgc-grader-notes.aspx

The prices vary.  I paid $10 for a book I recently purchased.  Some notes cost $5, other's $10.  I've never paid more than $10 though. 

11 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Because they could make more money once a person knows if a press, etc... would help. But who wants to make more for a few dollar investment?

The detriment would be that it actually will only go as high as the grade. (What they were getting already):gossip:

So AH should pocket the cost?:gossip:

On 2/27/2018 at 12:02 PM, Knightsofold said:

I mean come on...

"We do not have access to the grader notes since this item was submitted on consignment and we did not submit it for grading. You can get them through CGC though.<--  ???

I haven't read the thread, but its not their responsibility, nor should they offer.    The consignor to whom notes may be damaging will be displeased.   If the notes are "good" someone will be happy, and someone will be pissed off.   If the notes are "bad" someone will be happy, and someone will be pissed off.    Best the auction house can do is stay the heck out of it.   It is and should always rest on the buyer to purchase notes if they desire.

Edited by Bronty

22 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I haven't read the thread, but its not their responsibility, nor should they offer.    The consignor to whom notes may be damaging will be displeased.   If the notes are "good" someone will be happy, and someone will be pissed off.   If the notes are "bad" someone will be happy, and someone will be pissed off.    Best the auction house can do is stay the heck out of it.   It is and should always rest on the buyer to purchase notes if they desire.

Just for the sake of discussion, what if:

You were browsing a dealers books, the books are priced with a grade and minimal and sometime inconsistent notes.  When you ask the dealer for more specifics on the notes and why the grade, (where's the color touch? etc, general questions), he says:

"If you want more info on the grade and notations, you can pay $15 to my grader and he'll email you whatever notes he wrote while grading.   Thanks!"

6 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

Just for the sake of discussion, what if:

You were browsing a dealers books, the books are priced with a grade and minimal and sometime inconsistent notes.  When you ask the dealer for more specifics on the notes and why the grade, (where's the color touch? etc, general questions), he says:

"If you want more info on the grade and notations, you can pay $15 to my grader and he'll email you whatever notes he wrote while grading.   Thanks!"

Typical of most collectors, you're only seeing it from a buyer POV.

What about the seller POV?    You consign to a house and the house does something which hurts your bottom line.   Are you happy?

What about the house's POV?   They don't want any part of it.    They'd like to stay neutral and collect their commission.

What about the fact that probably 95/100 collectors won't ask for the grader's notes anyways?   Or care?

Edited by Bronty

49 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Typical of most collectors, you're only seeing it from a buyer POV.

When I sell books, I think full disclosure creates a trust and confidence essential for repeat customers.

What about the seller POV?    You consign to a house and the house does something which hurts your bottom line.   Are you happy?

I wouldn't favor consigning to a AH that won't provide graders notes. 

What about the house's POV?   They don't want any part of it.    They'd like to stay neutral and collect their commission.

I would prefer to do business with trustworthy and knowledgeable AH/sellers which is exactly the image Heritage, ComicConnect, and ComicLink portray.  

I think ebay is closer to what you're talking about.

What about the fact that probably 95/100 collectors won't ask for the grader's notes anyways?   Or care?

Given a choice when selling, I'd always pick the customer that understands the questions and answers they need to buy/bid with confidence.

Edited by Knightsofold
grammer

You can pick answers that in your mind support your position, but I'd challenge you to this:   take a sampling of 20 books from a heritage auction, and ask cgc how many times they sold those notes in the auction window.    I bet you the answer is none.   Nobody cares 2c

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

You can pick answers that in your mind support your position, but I'd challenge you to this:   take a sampling of 20 books from a heritage auction, and ask cgc how many times they sold those notes in the auction window.    I bet you the answer is none.   Nobody cares 2c

I just think the notes should be free. 

1 minute ago, Knightsofold said:

I just think the notes should be free. 

So... someone else should pay for something nobody cares for.   Got it.  :baiting:

3 hours ago, Knightsofold said:
3 hours ago, Bronty said:

So... someone else should pay for something nobody cares for.   Got it.  :baiting:

If CGC wasn't making $ on graders note they would be free. 

Confused Did you just answer your own sort of question?

12 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

If McDonald's didn't make money on Big Macs, they wouldn't sell them.

If cable companies didn't make money on providing internet service, it would be free.

If nobody was interested in having comics graded, CGC wouldn't exist.

If gravity wasn't a thing, you could float.

22 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Hmm, not really. They are already doing it as a part of the slabbing service. They are doubling dipping and waiting for someone to buy them. They could sell one a month and it would still be worth it. They just have to pay for the overhead of setting the ecommerce section up.