• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM TTA #97
1 1

17 posts in this topic

A lot of the bells and whistles of 9.0 and better books, but a little edge wear + edge tone + that top spine corner should bring it into 8.0 perspective. Horrendously misfolded, with the eye appeal compromised due to it, the market price will suffer. It'll bring a 7.0 to 7.5 price when resold, if slabbed 8.0. Then, sometime after, another 8.0 will be offered for sale, hobbyists will reference GP Analysis, and see a substantial dip for TTA 97 in 8.0 and wonder why!

lol I will surely not slab this one and cause the unavoidable dip. That was very well put BTW. :)  I noticed the poor wrap when I was bidding for it on the Bay but didn't think it was that bad. Now its all I see.

I have seen many high grade copies of this issue, i think it is a warehouse find issue, there are 80+ copies in the CGC census at 9.0 and above including five 9.8's

i can only see this copy as in a 6.5 ish range at best,... does have a great "Hulk Smash" cover though.......

Edited by 1950's war comics

8 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

I have seen many high grade copies of this issue, i think it is a warehouse find issue, there are 80+ copies in the CGC census at 9.0 and above including five 9.8's

i can only see this copy as in a 6.5 ish range at best,... does have a great "Hulk Smash" cover though.......

It's a double printed issue, like Amazing Spider-man 33, 45, Avengers 24, Fantastic Four 48, 66, and many, many others.  There's a reason why so few Avengers 23s and 25s exist compared to Avengers 24. Avengers 24 was the byproduct of three print runs. yes. A triple print, thus the availability. Each of the three runs of Avengers 24 is slightly different! In color, and in printing spots. Comics were double printed, and in some extreme cases, like Avengers 24 and FF 59, were triple printed. This was done to meet a certain contractual circulation guarantee for advertisers who demanded a minimum print run. In some cases, the press had to be fired up more than once or twice to satisfy that contract agreement, the plates being good for a finite amount of production.

8 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

It's a double printed issue, like Amazing Spider-man 33, 45, Avengers 24, Fantastic Four 48, 66, and many, many others.  There's a reason why so few Avengers 23s and 25s exist compared to Avengers 24. Avengers 24 was the byproduct of three print runs. yes. A triple print, thus the availability. Each of the three runs of Avengers 24 is slightly different! In color, and in printing spots. Comics were double printed, and in some extreme cases, like Avengers 24 and FF 59, were triple printed. This was done to meet a certain contractual circulation guarantee for advertisers who demanded a minimum print run. In some cases, the press had to be fired up more than once or twice to satisfy that contract agreement, the plates being good for a finite amount of production.

excellent information !  i now think that TTA 97 is a double printed warehouse find

Thats some interesting info. So does that make my comic worth a Gabillion or more like Tree Fiddy? ;)

I really wish I had paid more attention when bidding on this book. It was still a good deal but the wrap issue looks worse every time I look at it. I know it was a common thing back in the day but this book is really an extreme case.

18 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Thats some interesting info. So does that make my comic worth a Gabillion or more like Tree Fiddy? ;)

I really wish I had paid more attention when bidding on this book. It was still a good deal but the wrap issue looks worse every time I look at it. I know it was a common thing back in the day but this book is really an extreme case.

It doesn't affect the grade. I've seen worse, and folded/cut way off to boot and seemingly, that was not a factor in the CGC grade. Production rarely does, unless it's a production defect that compromises the paper itself, like chips, tears, etc.  Even paper pleats (what most call printing creases) since the ream of paper fed into the machine already has these pleats/tight folds, doesn't affect the CGC grade unless at the tippity top end of the spectrum. I can't tell you how many AS 66 and AS 67s I've seen that were CGC graded 9.2 with one or multiple paper production pleats on front and back covers. AS 76 is another one that seems prone to having been printed on largely defectively produced paper.

8 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Quick question. Does the paper quality affect the grade in books below the NM grades? I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't factor into the grade as much as it used to. I could be wrong.

It does factor into the grade if the pages are tan.  Note, the inside of the covers are not considered part of the Page Quality but are factored into the grade. If the inside covers have edge tanning, that will affect the grade.  I'm sorry but I'm seeing 6.5/7.0 range here if the inside cover edges are tanning.  Before I joined the Boards, I did not pay much attention to a miswrap. Now, I avoid them. I suspect the sight of this book will drive you crazy. Move it along. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

It does factor into the grade if the pages are tan.  Note, the inside of the covers are not considered part of the Page Quality but are factored into the grade. If the inside covers have edge tanning, that will affect the grade.  I'm sorry but I'm seeing 6.5/7.0 range here if the inside cover edges are tanning.  Before I joined the Boards, I did not pay much attention to a miswrap. Now, I avoid them. I suspect the sight of this book will drive you crazy. Move it along. 

Bob's right. Of course the toning on the covers, inside and out affect the grade. Most of the Mannarino collection CGC 8.0s have very little defect other than the moderate to severe tanning of the cover margins, inside and out.

In the above post, I was referring to the "paper" with respect to the misfold. Thinking we were still debating that subject, I didn't notice that we had moved on to a different aspect.