• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures into the Unknown #49

28 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Some of the Adventures into the Unknown have such awesome covers...look at the issue 63, for example (image from GCD):

AitU63.jpg

Yeah, I don't collect much ACG, but I picked up one of those. 

AvUkn_63_70_zpsjk6t4b0p.JPG

16 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

I've always had a penchant for these, though sold all mine long ago. Ogden Whitney is underrated I think. Charming stories by Richard E. Hughes!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_E._Hughes

32876.jpg

32686.jpg

I agree with you about Whitney.  I used to look out for ACG books as a kid, largely because I admired his art, particularly the covers.  The stories were pretty good, but I thought on average they were a cut below the Marvel pre-hero stories (in those days we called them fantasy stories -- so, apparently, did Marvel, hence the title of the Fantasy Masterpieces reprint series).

Anyone else notice their stories,fantasy or horror ,always had a slight romantic angle to them?Vampires loving werewolves,aliens loving  humans..I even remember reading one about two male zombies(or mummies?) fighting over a female.

10 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yeah, I don't collect much ACG, but I picked up one of those. 

AvUkn_63_70_zpsjk6t4b0p.JPG

The detail is amazing on that cover made me get a copy also.I with you on Whitney as being underrated after seeing more of his work.

4 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Issue 27, one of the all-time classics! :golfclap:

And just one of the ones I was thinking of.Such a great cover-when I got it home and read it,I felt deceived lol Now,not disappointed,but,deceived.