• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Al Jaffee is ...
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I saw him at a convention panel a few years back and he was awesome. He had everyone laughing telling tales of his adventures in the early comics industry. He seemed oldish, but definitely not that old!

Happy birthday, Al!

22 hours ago, EC ed said:

There is a really cool story about Bill Gaines' initial reaction to the "fold-in" idea. I love it....this is a quote from Jaffee:

"I showed it to Al Feldstein, and the first thing I said was, 'Al, I've got this crazy idea, and you're not going to buy it, because it mutilates the magazine.' So I put it in front of him, and the thing about Al was, he liked things that intrigued him. The mechanics of it intrigued him. He said, 'You mean, you fold it, like this . . . ? And then . . . ?' He folded it, he unfolded it, he folded it, and then he said, 'I like this!' But I said, 'Al, it mutilates the magazine.' And he said, 'Well, I'll have to check it with Bill.' He takes it, runs it to Bill's office, and he was there a little while, and he comes back and he says, 'We're going to do it! You know what Bill said? Bill said, "So they mutilate the magazine, and then they'll buy another one to save!"'

Genius. 

Great story! Thanks for sharing.