• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bagged GI Joe's

10 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone could help out. I was at a local show recently and picked up a 3 pack of GI Joe 3,4, and 5. They are all 60 cent covers and are gorgeous. I don't usually collect Joe's, but for some reason these looked too cool to me. Any ideas as to scarcity, value, etc? I don't have too many bagged set or GI Joe's, so I'm fairly clueless. Thanks.

I know marvel put out a 3 pack consisting of 2,21 and one other book(maybe 27) in a 3 for 1.99 bag. These were reprints.Not sure but suspect all the bagged GI Joes are 2nd prints. Jim Shooter said ,in a speech, that Marvel would reprint any book if they could presell 50,000 copies. A large New England based firm took him up on it,ordered 50,000 Joe 2s and then tried to sell them thru CBG for crazy money. Marvel revised its policy and refused to do special printings only for one person. The end result was a flood of second print Joe #2s,and the attempt to move them in multibags.

Need to recant some of the above. The 3 pack I' referring to contained 2,26,and 27. However these are .75 cent copies. If your copies are .60 they are from a different time/place. I believe first print joes have either a swinging Spidey or a upc code, whereas reprints contain a Blank box in the lower cover. This is the criteria that was used when I was dealing, its possible new developments have proven this wrong. What does the bag look like? Is it a Marvel bag or just a comics bag. What was the price on the bag?

Yeah, I knew of the 3 pack you're describing and always thought they were reprints. I picked this one up because it was so different. It is a Marvel bag and the books have the Spidey head in the "UPC" box, much like the direct market books. I always thought the Spidey head meant it was not a reprint. I'll have to double check, but I believe the price was 1.79.

It is a Marvel bag and the books have the Spidey head in the "UPC" box, much like the direct market books.

Is it the traditional Spidey head or the black costume Spidey head? If it's the latter, then they are reprints. I believe I have an issue #7 2nd printing with a 60 cent cover and a black Spidey head.

Also, I have a 2nd printing of issue #3 that I believe looks identical to the first printing except it says "Second Printing" in the indicia (unfortunately, that book is stored in California while I am here in New York, so I can't check to confirm)...guess you won't know for sure about your copies unless you open up the 3-pack or unless someone has specific knowledge of whether the 1st prints were ever resold as such.

Gene

THey're definitely the former--the white spidey with black outline. Unless someone has some definitive info to the contrary, I think the data everyone has supplied plus what we all know about the appearance of Marvel reprints has convinced me they're original. I might be able to get another pack-if so, anyone interested should let me know what they would offer.