• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to prove/submit a raw file copy?

7 posts in this topic

Last fall I bought 3 comics from a seller who had stated in his auction that he purchased a large lot of Harvey romance/other file copies from Heritage Auctions in... 2015 maybe? I can no longer read the auction description.

He was selling a TON of these, hundreds.

The 3 I bought aren't particularly valuable, I got them because I like Lee Elias's work, and the idea of them losing their provenance is sad to me. I'd like to get them graded, and retain their "File Copy" status.

All I have for proof is screenshots of the auctions stating so in the title, I did purchase one more from him that was already graded, and has the File Copy note on it.

Thoughts?

leeeliasfilecopies.jpg

8 hours ago, wikked said:

Last fall I bought 3 comics from a seller who had stated in his auction that he purchased a large lot of Harvey romance/other file copies from Heritage Auctions in... 2015 maybe? I can no longer read the auction description.

He was selling a TON of these, hundreds.

The 3 I bought aren't particularly valuable, I got them because I like Lee Elias's work, and the idea of them losing their provenance is sad to me. I'd like to get them graded, and retain their "File Copy" status.

All I have for proof is screenshots of the auctions stating so in the title, I did purchase one more from him that was already graded, and has the File Copy note on it.

Thoughts?

leeeliasfilecopies.jpg

@4GEMWORKS is a boardie and knows his stuff.  Sending in the screenshot of the auctions is not a bad idea.  On unmarked file copies I assume that the CGC graders have to rely on the books' provenance. 

As luck would have it I was the seller of all those issues.  I bought them in a bulk lot from Heritage and still have access to the original listing if anybody would like a copy of it for prominence purposes.

They went way cheaper than I had hoped actually.

9 hours ago, 4GEMWORKS said:

As luck would have it I was the seller of all those issues.  I bought them in a bulk lot from Heritage and still have access to the original listing if anybody would like a copy of it for prominence purposes.

They went way cheaper than I had hoped actually.

Some of the other Elias books went for at least $60+ if I remember, because that was my max, and had to let a few go.

Not sure why the others went so low, but I'm not complaining :)

If you could send me any screenshots that would help when I send them in, I would really appreciate it!  I'll pm you my email address.

12 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

And $15.36 for that graded issue is quite the deal! :)

I was pretty shocked myself, I didn't think any slabs went for less than $30-40. Should have bought some scratch-offs after that.

I submitted a couple of file copies to CGC a few years ago, and they added the notation without asking for proof. 

The next time I submitted a file copy, they did not note it on the label and did not contact me to ask for more information.

None of the file copies I submitted were marked, and I had no proof beyond the word of whatever dealers the books came from.

File Copies don't command a premium, so I didnt really care whether they made the notation on the label.

I got those 3 books back in my original post, from CGC today, all came back 9.0, but none of them were noted as File Copies :(

Only 1 of the 3 were even credited as Lee Elias covers, even though you can clearly see his trademark circle signature plain as day... pretty unhappy about that. I don't think people should be grading golden age books if they don't even know such a prominent name as Elias... sheesh.