• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shock Suspenstories 6 or Chamber of Chills 19? Which one and why?

25 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Never really impressed with the stories in Harvey horror comics, compared to EC’s books.  Howard Nostrand was a fairly decent copyist of EC artist Jack Davis’ style, but the rest of COC 19’s content is quite mediocre.

The artwork in SSS 6 is vastly superior throughout; Wally Wood, Jack Kamen, Joe Orlando and Graham Ingels.  Also, Gaines and Feldstein’s stories are consistently well-written, if sometimes preachy.  Top quality pre-Code. 

What Ken said.

I went ahead and secured this copy this morning (4.0 OW).  I figured I better get one now before the demand/price made one unattainable.  Judging by most of your comments, I shouldn't have much trouble securing a SSS 6 at some point down the road.  Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

IMG_1747.PNG

I know my opinion won't be popular but SS6 never really did anything for me. I love horror books and while I understand that SS6 is not necessarily a horror cover and there are subtle horrific elements to it, the woman's face seems to say; "Ho-hum, just another Saturday night whipping." Guys in hoods just don't compare to some of the other over the top covers out there. For that reason alone CoC19 gets my vote!

I like both books, but I prefer the SS6. I greatly prefer the art on the cover. While I completely agree that the idea of the CoC19 is fantastic, I find the art of the cover is too "cartoony" in comparison. Hopefully you guys know what I mean.

I think you made a better choice though, the CoC19 is harder to attain as there does seem to be less of them around. I have owned 10 different copies of SS6 but I have never pulled the trigger on a CoC19.

1 hour ago, TheDarkestKnight said:

I went ahead and secured this copy this morning (4.0 OW).  I figured I better get one now before the demand/price made one unattainable.  Judging by most of your comments, I shouldn't have much trouble securing a SSS 6 at some point down the road.  Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

IMG_1747.PNG

Smart move if you want them both anyway. SS6 is a lot more available. And this seems to just keep tracking upward in price. Now go out and snag the SS6, crack this one out, read 'em both and report back as to which one you like better content wise. I suspect it will be SS6... Both are real cool covers if that is what you are after.