• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best all-around Dr. Who message board?

14 posts in this topic

I can’t recommend any message boards but you might want to check out the series of books called About Time. Each book covers a different group of season/series. 

I got the one that covers 1975-1979. It’s unauthorized so there’s no pictures. But in addition to a plot break-down, review, etc of each story there’s also a section where they examine how the story coincides/contradicts established Who cannon. 

I enjoyed it, might be something you want to look at if you want to get into the nitty-gritty. 

A bit off topic, I just discovered they’re releasing the 1st Tom Baker season (season 12) on blu-ray. 

I don’t expect any massive improvement in picture quality. Footage shot on video is pretty much what it is. 

But I might plunk down for this and replace my DVDs for 2 reasons:

1) having an entire season on blu-ray is probably going to take up a lot less room than all those stories on DVD. 

2) I’m REALLY hoping the blu-rays maintain the original aspect ratio. One of the things that’s always bugged me about the DVDs is they’re formatted to fit my TV screen. And since screens are now rectangular that means the image gets cropped. Hoping they correct that. :wishluck:

On 3/21/2018 at 2:18 PM, Number 6 said:

A bit off topic, I just discovered they’re releasing the 1st Tom Baker season (season 12) on blu-ray. 

I don’t expect any massive improvement in picture quality. Footage shot on video is pretty much what it is. 

But I might plunk down for this and replace my DVDs for 2 reasons:

1) having an entire season on blu-ray is probably going to take up a lot less room than all those stories on DVD. 

2) I’m REALLY hoping the blu-rays maintain the original aspect ratio. One of the things that’s always bugged me about the DVDs is they’re formatted to fit my TV screen. And since screens are now rectangular that means the image gets cropped. Hoping they correct that. :wishluck:

I hope they have all the fun extras that were in the dvds too.

1 hour ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

I hope they have all the fun extras that were in the dvds too.

The pre-sale listing on Amazon says it will have all the previous special features plus more. 

We’ll see. I know the Spearhead From Space blu-ray has new special material and some - but not all - of the previous special features. 

One thing I don’t like is that they used the new Who logo from the new series. I know it’s a nitpick but I’d have preferred they use the diamond logo used during the series at the time. 

I started watching the show at the beginning of Tom Baker and you couldn't take your eyes off the television for one second. Man I had a childhood crush on Sarah Jane Smith (RIP) :{  The Genenesis of the Daleks was the coolest program to date I had scene in the sci-fi category. I believe you can watch some of the episodes on Demand somewhere but alot of them were missing.

17 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I started watching the show at the beginning of Tom Baker and you couldn't take your eyes off the television for one second. Man I had a childhood crush on Sarah Jane Smith (RIP) :{  The Genenesis of the Daleks was the coolest program to date I had scene in the sci-fi category. I believe you can watch some of the episodes on Demand somewhere but alot of them were missing.

Me too. 

but...

Louise Jameson. :luhv: 

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 6:18 PM, Number 6 said:

What... no 4:3?! That's just not cricket!

9 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

doctors.jpg

Five Doctors... With Richard Hurndall as the first Doctor (William Hartnell died in 1975) and a waxwork of Tom Baker (who declined to appear).