• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Typing "ebay" creates a link to ebay?

17 posts in this topic

Maybe I haven't been paying attention and it's been like this since the new boards rolled out.  Every time you type ebay in a post, it links to eBay's site. 

How long has this been going on? :ohnoez:

1 minute ago, Turtle said:

Maybe I haven't been paying attention and it's been like this since the new boards rolled out.  Every time you type ebay in a post, it links to eBay's site. 

Ha, I actually just noticed that yesterday, because I kept seeing the link pop up in posts, but I thought that the poster was trying to link to a specific auction that they were referencing, and somehow screwed up the link. Of course, I'm not the most observant guy in the world, it's likely that this has been going on for a long time. But you're not alone!

Yeah, I mentioned it a few days ago in another thread. Hasn't been going on long, less than a week, I think, but I noticed it in my posts and it doesn't show up in previews, only after you post. @Architecht Is this an agreement with our hosts and the bay or some larger, more nefarious scheme? Can't say I like it nor do I think it's necessary.

I think we need to come together and create a codename like Voldy to avoid these unwanted links.

6 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Yeah, I mentioned it a few days ago in another thread. Hasn't been going on long, less than a week, I think, but I noticed it in my posts and it doesn't show up in previews, only after you post. @Architecht Is this an agreement with our hosts and the bay or some larger, more nefarious scheme? Can't say I like it nor do I think it's necessary.

I think we need to come together and create a codename like Voldy to avoid these unwanted links.

Yeah, about a week. It's obviously just an addition to the way actual eBay links are filtered through the company's affiliate account.

It does seem unnecessary, but also really easy to implement, with no downside. (shrug)

19 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, about a week. It's obviously just an addition to the way actual eBay links are filtered through the company's affiliate account.

It does seem unnecessary, but also really easy to implement, with no downside. (shrug)

The links to individual auctions have been filtered through the affiliate account for years, but that requires the .com and the item number, and board members expect to be able to click those... etc. 

Just the word alone is a weird way to remind people there is a website called that and that the referral needs to be credited to the CGC board.

(I feel like this would be the time to add that my post was "brought to you by Carl's Jr.")

Edited by valiantman

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:05 AM, Turtle said:

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:58 AM, Martin Sinescu said:

My typing ebay does produce a line underneath, but for me at least, it does not create a hyperlink. On my PC, the underlining is being interpreted as a misspelled word, like typing the word erer instead of error. Underlined, but not a link on the posting form. Odd though that once posted, typing ebay does create the hyperlink!

Edited by James J Johnson

8 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You'd think...nah, nevermind.

I think we both know, none of the folks here are slow enough to think that these boards are completely altruistic.   Wait, what?

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

My typing ebay does produce a line underneath, but for me at least, it does not create a hyperlink. On my PC, the underlining is being interpreted as a misspelled word, like typing the word erer instead of error. Underlined, but not a link on the posting form. Odd though that once posted, typing ebay does create the hyperlink!

Likely affiliate revenue as it links to :

https://outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed.ebay.com/outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2F&campid=5338116315&customid=CGCForum%toolid=10001

guessing "campid" stands for (Sales) Campaign ID and "customid" stands for Customer ID.

The "toolid" - well, that's pretty open to interpretation with this group :insane:

-bc