• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action 1 Cgc 8.5 white in next CC auction
1 1

160 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, lou_fine said:
21 hours ago, rob_react said:
21 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

My take is that Metro would love to say who it was, but has been instructed by his family not to.  Not that I actually know anything!

That would be my guess. they are going to sell as best they can, and this seems like the best they're going to be able to do in this particular case.

+2

This would definitely be my guess also, as the auction house really has to go with what the consignor wants to do.  (thumbsu

There are millions of reasons why the auction houses prefer not to identify their consignors. One could be that there are more items in the estate that could possibly be auctioned in the future. Another possibility is that the auction house doesn't want to deal with nosey competitors or bidders trying to influence the family to withdraw lots before the auction takes place. My personal favorite theory is that the auctioneers get a kick out of watching goofballs make wild and unsubstantiated claims and guesses about the consignor, the collection, and possible final results on internet chatboards. But that is just my theory and I couldn't imagine it having any basis in reality.

47 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

There are millions of reasons why the auction houses prefer not to identify their consignors. One could be that there are more items in the estate that could possibly be auctioned in the future. Another possibility is that the auction house doesn't want to deal with nosey competitors or bidders trying to influence the family to withdraw lots before the auction takes place. My personal favorite theory is that the auctioneers get a kick out of watching goofballs make wild and unsubstantiated claims and guesses about the consignor, the collection, and possible final results on internet chatboards. But that is just my theory and I couldn't imagine it having any basis in reality.

Stop hyperventilating. I think you got your sarcasm across....

4 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Stop hyperventilating. I think you got your sarcasm across....

Wha...whoo...me?

23 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

My personal favorite theory is that the auctioneers get a kick out of watching goofballs make wild and unsubstantiated claims and guesses about the consignor, the collection, and possible final results on internet chatboards. But that is just my theory and I couldn't imagine it having any basis in reality.

Aren't all guesses "unsubstantiated"?  After all, a "guess" is defined as a "suppose (something) without sufficient information to be sure of being correct" and "unsubstantiated" means "not supported or proven by evidence."  LoL!

But, hey, since one point of a message board is to entertain, I'm ok if my guess about the identity of the consignor causes the auctioneers to have a bit of a laugh.  They can always quash any confusion caused by my guess, assuming it is wildly wrong (and based on my March Madness bracket I CAN be wildly wildly wrong), by just saying so.  So could the poster who indicated he knew who the consignor was and threw out the hint that he was shocked the consignor had died so young. 

1 hour ago, szavisca said:

I’m not seeing enough baseless conjecture in this thread about the Tec 33 cgc 9.2 highest graded for my liking.  That looks like the number 2 book in the auction.  

Sure not a classic cover, but with the origin story it seems like the 2nd most important Batman book to me.  I’ll start the wild guessing at $420,000.

If I were bidding on a big expensive comic that would be the big expensive comic I would bid on. I think it will go in the $300K range.

4 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

If you had to take a wild guess.  How may Action 1's do you think are still out there that have never seen the light of day and are just waiting to be found?  25 or 50...more?

All depends on what you mean by never seen the light of day.

If you are talking copies owned by original owners... I'd say less than 25.

If you mean copies that have been in a private collection for many years, that's totally different

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

All depends on what you mean by never seen the light of day.

If you are talking copies owned by original owners... I'd say less than 25.

If you mean copies that have been in a private collection for many years, that's totally different

undiscovered and unheard of that may still be out there.  In an attic or basement...

3 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

undiscovered and unheard of that may still be out there.  In an attic or basement...

So, original owners and/or copies owned by people that don't even realize what they have.  

Boy, can't be many.   A dozen?

Edited by Bronty

2 minutes ago, Bronty said:
4 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

So, original owners and/or copies owned by people that don't even realize what they have.  

Probably at most.  I'd guess, maybe, five.  Not zero, though, I think. 

6 hours ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

If you had to take a wild guess.  How may Action 1's do you think are still out there that have never seen the light of day and are just waiting to be found?  25 or 50...more?

Given the lack of fresh copies being brought to market in recent years (just recycling of already-known copies), even though prices are at serious money levels, I would say much much fewer than that.

What's the last truly fresh to market copy we've seen?  The one that graded out around 5.0 or so, that was in the collection of stuff left by a father to his daughter?

On 2018-04-04 at 6:51 PM, Bronty said:

That seems high to me...  

Let's say that you bought Action 1 on the stands at the time you were 10 years old.  That would mean that you were born in 1928 and that would also mean that you will be 90 years old sometime this year.  Chances are pretty slim on this scenario.

Even a copy in the hands of the deceased original purchaser's family is still a very long shot in my opinion.  Not out of the realm of possibility mind you just a very long shot...

Edited by pemart1966

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:50 AM, tth2 said:

Given the lack of fresh copies being brought to market in recent years (just recycling of already-known copies), even though prices are at serious money levels, I would say much much fewer than that.

What's the last truly fresh to market copy we've seen?  The one that graded out around 5.0 or so, that was in the collection of stuff left by a father to his daughter?

..... this may simply mean that people just don't want to sell. For example, my friend Jerry passed recently and his copy was sold.... but only because he died. It had been off the market for almost two decades. For many collectors who have scored an Action 1, it can be worth more than money to them....and they may be very disinclined to mail it off to be slabbed..... still occasionally taking it out to leaf through. People like Mitch, Gary, Harley, or Richard (Yellow Kid) might be the best folks to addess this type of question to. There really was a time when Action 1 was a wall book .... I saw my first of several(and that's just me on the East coast).... in the mid 70's, and it was in the 1000 dollar ballpark, and, no, it didn't fly off the wall at that show. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

4 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

There really was a time when Action 1 was a wall book .... I saw my first of several(and that's just me on the East coast).... in the mid 70's, and it was in the 1000 dollar ballpark, and, no, it didn't fly off the wall at that show.

Didn't Danny Boy have a whole row of them including the other GA keys in that classic Fantazia ad photo that he used to run in the pages of CBG back in the late 80's and early 90's?  :jaws:   lol

On 4/4/2018 at 3:51 PM, Bronty said:

Aside from whatever copies have never been "discovered" by the market, there are copies which appeared on the market only briefly, scored by a dealer from the original owner and then sold to someone who has kept it all this time, not selling because they like it and/or figure it will never decrease in value so they might as well hang onto it because it's virtually liquid.   It's hard to put a number on that.

14 minutes ago, bluechip said:

Aside from whatever copies have never been "discovered" by the market, there are copies which appeared on the market only briefly, scored by a dealer from the original owner and then sold to someone who has kept it all this time, not selling because they like it and/or figure it will never decrease in value so they might as well hang onto it because it's virtually liquid.   It's hard to put a number on that.

Agreed, which is why I pressed him to define what he might by undiscovered copies, which he never really answered.   I had to answer for him.

I chose to define it as... OO copies and/or Billy Wright type copies... where it passed in the family from OO to a relative without every hitting the market.   Copies that have never once sold for any sum except 10 cents you might say.    And I think a dozen is the upper limit for that.

Edited by Bronty

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Didn't Danny Boy have a whole row of them including the other GA keys in that classic Fantazia ad photo that he used to run in the pages of CBG back in the late 80's and early 90's?  :jaws:   lol

He had it all. And I fell for his sales pitch hook, line and sinker. I can't get too angry though, his restored books were some of the earliest cool GA I owned, imagining myself a high grade collector because I had so many of his undisclosed books that looked like a million bucks. lol