• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action 1 Cgc 8.5 white in next CC auction
1 1

160 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

...AND that it's in both person's will as to what happens to their half...

A good attorney will draw it up correctly and cover all the bases. You just need to define the terms to them first and they’ll look at it from all possible sides. Usually not that difficult.

14 hours ago, rob_react said:

Get two people like that and a $2,000 VG copy can suddenly turn into a $3-4000 book because two whales looking for a NM copy decided not to wait.

That's so alien to me I just can't comprehend it.  

18 hours ago, clarkkentdds said:

I was shocked to hear about the passing of this collector. I believe he was a member of the boards very briefly. I didn't think he was that old...

Who are we talking about here?

3 minutes ago, fishbone said:

I think we are talking about the owner of this book, who has passed, and now the book is up for auction...is that correct ?

The person's name - is it a secret?

42 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

The person's name - is it a secret?

hoping someone more in-the-know can tell us the name, or maybe family wants it to remain private which we must respect.

Either way, a freakin' beauty of a book !!

Edited by fishbone

1 hour ago, fishbone said:

hoping someone more in-the-know can tell us the name, or maybe family wants it to remain private which we must respect.

Either way, a freakin' beauty of a book !!

The description of the collector as being someone who died recently and relatively young would fit Verzyl ... but I don't think that is right.  He doesn't appear to have been secretive about the big books he owned.

6 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

The description of the collector as being someone who died recently and relatively young would fit Verzyl ... but I don't think that is right.  He doesn't appear to have been secretive about the big books he owned.

It's labeled the "Second City" collection.

If this were Verzyl's collection we'd have a lot more to talk about beyond a boring old, rusty-stapled Action #1. zzz

21 hours ago, rob_react said:

It doesn't potentially have rusted staples. It has rusted staples. 

Somehow this reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld's line about the laissez faire attitude his parents had towards what he ate as a kid:  "Cookie Crisp cereal isn't like cookies; it is cookies."

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

C-connect announced the collection on their website weeks ago and the first books from it were included in the last week's auction.

4 minutes ago, fishbone said:
1 hour ago, Yorick said:

If you owned this Action 1, would you have the staples removed to prevent rust staining the pages?

Replace with vintage staples, could still get blue label

If they detect the replacement, the book would end up in a Conserved slab.  If there's been any rust migration, which I imagine there would be if the staples are actually rusted, then it would difficult to conceal that the staples had been replaced.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4083&

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

If they detect the replacement, the book would end up in a Conserved slab.  If there's been any rust migration, which I imagine there would be if the staples are actually rusted, then it would difficult to conceal that the staples had been replaced.

Yes, good point, it would have had to done before it’s first slabbing and the rust would have had to be limited to staple (s) only

Just now, fishbone said:
5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Yes, good point, it would have had to done before it’s first slabbing and the rust would have had to be limited to staple (s) only

That's also true -- not much chance that this particular book could fly under the graders' radar!