• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I cancel bidder on Ebay?

11 posts in this topic

Hi.

I am new to this message board but you guys seem to know alot about ebay and selling higher end books. In anyones opinion should i cancel this bidder on ebay. he clearly did not read item description (no zero feedback bidders) and never emailed me. He also is high bidder on about 6 hulk 181's right now. but since he didnt hit reserve, should I just let it go and hope someone else wins item? any suggestions?

My hulk 181 auction.

and since I am new to posting, I am not new to reading these posts. looking forward to hearing from some of the more experienced sellers here. Thanks again

cancel the zero bidder and block him. It is not fair to those who can abide by the auction terms and rules to have the price driven up by a "non-factor"; most zero bidders are thrill bid aliases but once in a while there are some good ones ( we all started as zero at one point); but the good ones will have contacted you first to let you know they are for real

Welcome doyle...

My opinion is that there is no reason to cancel this bidder since the reserve has not been met...in the meantime contact the bidder to get a feel for whether he is serious or not....

If he ends up meeting the reserve and you are uncomfortable with that, at least you are justified in cancelling his bid but you will also be tallying up bids for your book that I am sure you want to sell at a decent price....

You're well within your rights to cancel him if your auction rules state a certain feedback requirement that he does not meet the criteria on. On the other hand, since he has bid on your item, if you'd like to take an alternative route first, request his contact info (which will include a telephone #) by accessing the "HELP" icon on the top of each Ebay page and type in the search phrase "contact information", then follow the instructions, filling in the forms that follow. You'll have his phone number in minutes, by Ebay email. Give him a courteousy call, ask who he is, etc., "feel" him out, so to speak. Everybody starts on Ebay with ZERO. Let your instincts dictate whether you allow him to continue bidding on it, or not.

That is my moral dilemma precisely. Since this bidder was not welcome (did not contact) I am only beefing up my auction price by letting the bid stand. Good for the wallet, bad for the soul (like I have one lol). But by letting bid stand I am probably encouraging Ebay users to disregard the terms of sale set up by a buyer in the first place. Next it'll be negotiating S&H and Payment options. Or worse yet It opens the door to the old "I didnot mean to bid that much, but I will still buy it for This much (always way less than final bid). I am not kidding about that by the way, just happened to me on an auction and while the buyer was nice and paid auction fees for the mistake, and I let him out of auction, It makes me worry about the future credibility of the whole Ebay system. too much slides. any how thanks for the responses. I guess if I let bid stand then I am no better than the bonehead who bid without reading description. but would like to have reserve cherry popped.

I see your postion but I believe that you are overthinking this....If you feel so strongly about people adhering to you're terms then cancel the bid...

However...if you want to go the extra mile and feel this person out to see if he is a valid bidder then do so now before the bidding gets down to the closing hours...

Your listing says not to bid unless they contact you first...well... the only people that know that he did not adhere to this are members of this forum...the general Ebay public haven't a clue...

I'd say do exactly what you say in your auction description about neg/low/zero feedback users: "email me first or I will cancel your bid. I reserve the right to cancel any bids I am uncomfortable with." And you are also obviously uncomfortable with this so again, cancel the bid.

If that were me having this auction with those rules, I would have no problem cancelling the bid and, if a problem came up, blocking the bidder.

If the bid is causing you this much heartache, then cancel it. The guy has not adheared to your auction rules, so as others has said, you will be within your rights.

Peace of mind is more important than the extra few dollars currently on your item.