• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art that you disliked..

29 posts in this topic

But now kinda dig. 

It may have been art from decades past or last year.

One of my examples: When I first saw this Superman image from Frank Miller, my first thought was wtf. Fist as large as his head and that obscuring splatter effect that went out in the 80’s. So why do I keep going back to view it? It’s growing on me for Gods sake!  But the asking price is more than I’m willing to pay when I’ve picked up published work by FM for half that. 

So what art have you reversed positions on?

CBA7A6A2-283A-4983-9C34-0BC650623DB2.jpeg

Edited by Reader

56 minutes ago, Reader said:

But now kinda dig. 

It may have been art from decades past or last year.

One of my examples: When I first saw this Superman image from Frank Miller, my first thought was wtf. Fist as large as his head and that obscuring splatter effect that went out in the 80’s. So why do I keep going back to view it? It’s growing on me for Gods sake!  But the asking price is more than I’m willing to pay when I’ve picked up published work by FM for half that. 

So what art have you reversed positions on?

CBA7A6A2-283A-4983-9C34-0BC650623DB2.jpeg

Moebius Superheroes. I hated the way he drew them when I was a kid. I remember an IronMan that to me looked like he was strung out on heroine. I've reversed my position. Especially on Silver Surfer. I disliked his Surfer but today I'm fascinated by his work. He was simply ahead of his time and I just didn't understand what he was doing. Truly was a master!!! 

Krazy Kat by Herriman.  When I first encountered his strips, via the Russ Cochran Comic Art Auctions during the early 1980s, I didn't get the adulation.  After a number of years of exposure to the work I gradually began to appreciate the magic of the strip.  Last time I was in LA, I got to see a number of framed originals hanging on the walls of a high-end collector and I was in awe of seeing the original artworks 'in the flesh'.

29 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

The first one that springs to mind is Sieniewicz on New Mutants. 

I was probably 13 years old when he started on that title, and I remember picking up and reading issues 18 and up and just not digging it.  Sal buscema had preceded him on the title and his style is very very straightforward superhero stuff. Then, bam, Sienk drops in and flips the art table over. It was so out there and stylized and only got more stylized as it went on that my hormone wracked pubescent brain wasn’t ready for it. 

Years later I came back to it, in my 20’s, and I’ve been in love with it ever since. It’s now in my top five of favorite artist on title runs that I had personally picked from the stands as they were published. Even if it did take me a decade or so to be mature enough to really appreciate it. 

Better late than never. 

Mine too.  It hit me like a ton of bricks. One of the reasons I had loved him was him 'Adams-esque' style, and this was INSTANT.  My 13 year old hand began churning out letters to him asking him to stop.  Begging him to not ruin 'my X-men'.  I corrected that later by apologizing profusely, acknowledging my youthful idiocy, and getting the only commission I have ever ordered since 1985.  Change complete, just took me a lot longer than he.

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

The first one that springs to mind is Sienkiewicz on New Mutants. 

I was probably 13 years old when he started on that title, and I remember picking up and reading issues 18 and up and just not digging it.  Sal buscema had preceded him on the title and his style is very very straightforward superhero stuff. Then, bam, Sienk drops in and flips the art table over. It was so out there and stylized and only got more stylized as it went on that my hormone wracked pubescent brain wasn’t ready for it. 

Years later I came back to it, in my 20’s, and I’ve been in love with it ever since. It’s now in my top five of favorite artist on title runs that I had personally picked from the stands as they were published. Even if it did take me a decade or so to be mature enough to really appreciate it. 

Better late than never. 

Jim Shooter interview in that topic last year:

“And we’d experiment–Bill Sienkiewicz is a genius artist. Chris [Claremont] wanted to do the New Mutants together. Bill said, ‘I really want to go experimental, I know you want everything clear, but I want to try some stuff.’ I thought Sienkiewicz was a genius, Claremont–he’ll pull it together. I said go for it, swing for the fences, you’ll never hear from me that it’s not clear enough, and boy did they swing for the fences.

AiPT!: And now there’s a New Mutants movie coming out.

Shooter: Yeah and the stuff was fantastic. On the newstands where the readers tended to be younger–they didn’t get it at all. But this market, they loved it, sales shot up.”

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2017/11/19/interview-legendary-marvel-comics-editor-in-chief-jim-shooter-on-the-current-state-of-marvel-creator-incentives-and-more/

2 hours ago, williamhlawson said:

Mine too.  It hit me like a ton of bricks. One of the reasons I had loved him was him 'Adams-esque' style, and this was INSTANT.  My 13 year old hand began churning out letters to him asking him to stop.  Begging him to not ruin 'my X-men'.  I corrected that later by apologizing profusely, acknowledging my youthful idiocy, and getting the only commission I have ever ordered since 1985.  Change complete, just took me a lot longer than he.

So YOU’RE the 13-year-old kid Jim Shooter was talking about in that interview excerpt I just posted. lol

Jim aparo on the batbooks.  When i started reading them, aparo and breyfogle traded art duties.  My love for breyfogle was so absolute that i cringed whenever it was aparos turn.   

Now im constantly searching for aparo art from that time period.

It took me until revisiting the Fourth World books in my 30s to finally 'get' what Kirby was doing with his 70s DC work. As a kid, I was completely turned off by it. When I re-read the series and saw the art through more experienced eyes, I was floored. 

I also didn't get Sienkiewicz on New Mutants, either. Took me years to finally appreciate how insanely creative that run was.

Only in the last few years have I come to appreciate Mignola's "new" (nearly thirty-year old!) style. This year the complete Hellboy in reading order will be released. Looking forward to reading it. For the first time :)

Oddly, at roughly the same age as comix4fun, 13 or so, I instantly "got" Sienkiewicz and have been a tremendous fan of his NM run ever since.

I hated New Mutants then, and I don't know that I particularly like it now- I think part of it is a function of my complete and utter disdain for 80's style and fashion, which very much influenced Bill's work. It also infected JRjr's run on X-Men and between the two, I stopped collecting both titles for a time.  Any character created or expanded on during that era very much suffered from 80's fashion, and it took years to grow out of it. I think Rachel Summers/Phoenix was a lousy character and it had a lot to do with her look. Rogue almost suffered the same fate, but Lee reinvented her "look." Dazzler faded to nothing for the same reason, she went from flashy Disco look to a bad Jazzercise Work-out Video Star.

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

16 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

I hated New Mutants then, and I don't know that I particularly like it now- I think part of it is a function of my complete and utter disdain for 80's style and fashion, which very much influenced Bill's work. It also infected JRjr's run on X-Men and between the two, I stopped collecting both titles for a time.  Any character created or expanded on during that era very much suffered from 80's fashion, and it took years to grow out of it. I think Rachel Summers/Phoenix was a lousy character and it had a lot to do with her look. Rogue almost suffered the same fate, but Lee reinvented her "look." Dazzler faded to nothing for the same reason, she went from flashy Disco look to a bad Jazzercise Work-out Video Star.

That very much parallels my experience with comics during that era.  Sienkiewicz on NM was so utterly jarring for a comic that I avidly followed that I couldn't hold on for more than a few issues.  I know that Sienkiewicz is considered a genius, but to this day I can't stand his style.   And over on the X-Men, the weird fashion and design choices were beginning to get out of hand: remember Magneto's purple suit with the flared collars and huge white M?   I stuck with it for a while, until it morphed until that 90's lineup that is so revered today, but for me, it was pouches, giant guns and Liefeld, So with the sole exception of Love and Rockets, I didn't read a comic book for five or six years.  And although I continued going to SDCC, unfortunately, I sort of forgot about the original art aspect, so I totally missed those early 90's prices.