• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Copper/Modern Comics Ever Be “Scarce”?
1 1

76 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Almost like books from "The 90s" should be called "The 1990s" and then "The 2000s" and then "The 2010s"... but if we let the industry 'experts' decide we'll get something about decreasingly-valued metals. :kidaround:

Agree. The funny thing is after copper they stopped using metals and just called everything after 1992 a modern comic.

How can a comic that came out in 1993 which is 25 years ago be considered a modern comic?

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Just now, ComicConnoisseur said:

Agree. The funny thing is after copper they stopped using metals and just called everything after 1992 a modern comic.

How can a comic that came out in 1993 which is 25 years ago be considered a modern comic?

Remember back in 1993 when we referred to comics from 1968 as "Modern"?  No?  Me neither. :bigsmile:

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Remember back in 1993 when we referred to comics from 1968 as "Modern"?  No?  Me neither. :bigsmile:

mod·ern
ˈmädərn/
adjective
adjective: modern
  1. 1.
    relating to the present or recent times as opposed to the remote past.

My auction house calls anything over 25 years old Vintage. I get a kick when they advertise a lot of Vintage Modern  comics.

At one point, CGC was putting "modern" books in Red Labels.

3 minutes ago, shadroch said:

My auction house calls anything over 25 years old Vintage. I get a kick when they advertise a lot of Vintage Modern  comics.

It's a rampant term on online advertising and auction sites as well, like Craigs List.

Edited by ygogolak

45 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I put out a Craigslist ad last years selling 25 year old bulk comics and had 15 responses within 2 days.  Not one sale and not one responses after I changed it to say 90s overstock. 

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:
2 hours ago, valiantman said:

mod·ern
ˈmädərn/
adjective
adjective: modern
  1. 1.
    relating to the present or recent times as opposed to the remote past.

2018 - 1993 = 25 years

1993 - 1968 = 25 years

That's my point. What's yours?

32 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I put out a Craigslist ad last years selling 25 year old bulk comics and had 15 responses within 2 days.  Not one sale and not one responses after I changed it to say 90s overstock. 

Oh, so you're that guy!

23 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
25 minutes ago, valiantman said:

2018 - 1993 = 25 years

1993 - 1968 = 25 years

That's my point. What's yours?

That no matter what period, comics that come out in the year that you are in are modern.

Gotcha - so what should comics from 1993 be called?  "Modern" being applied to 25 year old comics doesn't work very well, since we wouldn't have called 1968 comics "Modern" in 1993.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Gotcha - so what should comics from 1993 be called?  "Modern" being applied to 25 year old comics doesn't work very well, since we wouldn't have called 1968 comics "Modern" in 1993.

I agree, and how long have we been debating about it on here? lol

I am kind of partial to Chromium myself.

15 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Funny thing is that in 1993, books from 1968 were selling about as well as books from 1993 do today. 

I remember setting up at a show with original owner runs of Submariner, Iron Man, Cap and Silver Surfer. All anyone was looking for was X-Men 201( Baby Cable) and various early Valiants. 

Saw a dealer trade a bunch of Spideys in the 12cent-15 cent range to a guy for a Valiant Gold something, which he sold a few minutes later, his biggest sale of the day. 

Late SA,BA Marvels and DC  were treated as lepers for a few years there.

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

Funny thing is that in 1993, books from 1968 were selling about as well as books from 1993 do today. 

I remember setting up at a show with original owner runs of Submariner, Iron Man, Cap and Silver Surfer. All anyone was looking for was X-Men 201( Baby Cable) and various early Valiants. 

Saw a dealer trade a bunch of Spideys in the 12cent-15 cent range to a guy for a Valiant Gold something, which he sold a few minutes later, his biggest sale of the day. 

Late SA,BA Marvels and DC  were treated as lepers for a few years there.

Interesting... most people didn't get in and out that fast.  He should have bought the Spideys back and kept the profit. lol

Perspective:

When Detective Comics #27 was 25 years old...1964...it was about $100 to buy a "nice copy"...roughly 1,000 times cover price.

When Amazing Fantasy #15 was 25 years old...1987...it was about $1,000 to buy a "nice copy"...roughly 8,000 times cover price.

When bagged Superman #75 was 25 years old...2017...it was about $10...4 times cover price.

There has never, in the entire history of the hobby, been more money in it than there is now. Ever. The greatest excesses of the early 90's are dwarfed, by orders of magnitude, by the market of 2018.

But Superman #75 is a "$10 book."

That should encapsulate the era for everyone.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus
I really hate not being able to hide edits.

21 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Perspective:

When Detective Comics #27 was 25 years old...1964...it was about $100 to buy a "nice copy"...roughly 1,000 times cover price.

When Amazing Fantasy #15 was 25 years old...1988...it was about $1,000 to buy a "nice copy"...roughly 8,000 times cover price.

When bagged Superman #75 was 25 years old...2017...it was about $10...4 times cover price.

There has never, in the entire history of the hobby, been more money in it than there is now. Ever. The greatest excesses of the early 90's are dwarfed, by orders of magnitude, by the market of 2018.

But Superman #75 is a "$10 book."

That should encapsulate the era for everyone.

Edited by porcupine48
I like leaving silly stuff in here,like Lizards is a pervert.Also,I think you can swear in here.