• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Copper/Modern Comics Ever Be “Scarce”?
1 1

76 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

It sounds like the biggest too many were purchased and protected got in the way of these books and now they are too available 

So if that’s true then silver/golden age books that have become scarce are due to materials not being available to protect them as future investments

to the time machine with some mylites!

A major reason for GA/early-SA scarcity is mass-destruction events. Predating organized fandom didn't exactly help, either. Anything later has generally only been subject to normal attrition rates.

Better supplies and knowledge about proper storage methods certainly help with preservation of both the comics in general and their condition, but that is a relatively minor factor.

52 minutes ago, djpinkpanther67 said:

@Lazyboy, lack of HG IS scarcity, especially for books published in the last 20 years. Who wants a VG copy of any CA/Modern books?

They are getting tougher to find as we speak

Again, that's not the topic. If 99.99% of whatever random CA/MA book you wanted were destroyed, you would pray for one of the remaining copies to become available in any condition. People will gladly take VG TMNT 1s because, though they are not actually scarce, there are relatively few copies.

43 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

I think it is far more likely that demand will die way before the comics do.  Copper/Moderns are eras after the idea of them being collectible existed.  They were bought and bagged/boarded new.  Kind of like baseball cards too.  Kids used to stick them in the spokes of their bike wheels.  Comics in the Silver age and before weren't considered valuable, other than for the kids who swapped them with friends for other stuff.

No, I think there won't be a scarcity of Copper/Moderns, as too many people had already realized they were of value.  There would need to be a lot of throwing away of comics that people just don't do as much anymore

I consider this the Spawn #1 of baseball cards. A whole bunch printed but the demand always is there. 

1989 Upper Deck Baseball 1 Ken Griffey Jr

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Okay, so you're asking about marketplace scarcity rather than actual scarcity?

Yes and no. I took marketplace scarcity because of the current volume initially produced. That makes them unscarce??? What would need to happen to make Spawn 1 scarce?

copper/modern comics will have demand  (some great, some not so much) but if you have money you can almost always procure one (there are a few outliers of course, low production runs, regional distribution).

i love when a "scarce" copper/modern book gets hot (and starts to sell for big $$) and they start coming out of the woodwork.

id actually love someone to look at how different collectors move books at different frequencies.

are copper/modern books moved with a greater frequency  than silver/bronze books? and if so what does that say about the copper/modern collector or those booms?

Just now, miraclemet said:

id actually love someone to look at how different collectors move books at different frequencies.

are copper/modern books moved with a greater frequency  than silver/bronze books? and if so what does that say about the copper/modern collector or those booms?

That would be fascinating to know. 

1 minute ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

The Spawn Animated show is fondly remembered. Up there with the Batman animated series.

Children had no business watching that cartoon though, way grimmer than batman. It was a late night niche. I watched it once and was like WTF?  The scene where his nemesis (i forget his name) who has HIV is sleeping around... Honestly, there is more of a market for that cartoon now than 20 years ago, why haven't they tried it again?

Just now, the blob said:

Children had no business watching that cartoon though, way grimmer than batman. It was a late night niche. I watched it once and was like WTF?  The scene where his nemesis (i forget his name) who has HIV is sleeping around... Honestly, there is more of a market for that cartoon now than 20 years ago, why haven't they tried it again?

The upcoming Spawn movie will be R rated.I think they will most likely try for something like that again after the Spawn movie.

Doubtful.  I just went through about 10 long boxes at a Flea Market today & there were 3 Spawn #1's sitting in there.  Nice shape.  Priced at $15 each.  Not my idea of scarce.  Doesn't McFarlane have a pallet of #1's in his storage? 

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

That would be fascinating to know. 

A quick look at ebay

Gold: 103,587 listings, 1668 being bid on. (1.6%)

Silver: 318,114 listings, 3,368 being bid on (1.06%)

Bronze:  463,788 listings,  3,881 being bid on (0.837%)

Copper: 285,361 listings 1483 being bid on (0.52%)

Modern: 1,634,594 listings  4,775 being bid on (0.292%)

Don't know what this says about demand or scarcity, but it's interesting that the demand interest (percent of books being bid on) is (generally speaking) linear, decreasing as we move from older to newer.