• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM SS 3 Mephisto

6 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Opinions would be appreciated as I may be submitting this in my next Run.   

I see edge defect, flakes and small chips that pressing will not alleviate. There's also a lot of the usual color scuffs that Silver Surfer 1-4 incur in production, mostly near the bottom, again as usual, and won't be helped by a press. The bad news is that I've seen CGC graded 6.0s with these same type and degree of manufacturing-incurred scuffing/rubs that didn't seem to have much else wrong other than that. The good news is that I've also seen 9.0s that looked the same!  Your book's main aesthetic pediment are those scuffs/rubs, and try as I may by examining CGC graded copies of SS 1-4, over the long haul, with and without these scuffs, basing my observations on the absence or presence of other visually distractive flaws on them, comparatively, I can't seem to find the pattern of logic on whether or not these factory-induced scuffs/rubs affect their decision making with respect to the assigned grade. It is a manufacturing defect, but unlike many other of the wide range possible in factory defects, like centering, miscut, etc., etc., these rubs are physical defects as injurious to the overall appearance as creases or spine stresses, IMO.

Edited by James J Johnson

Thank You.  This to me is a Good Book with some Minor defects.  The Pressing / Dry Clean is just because ...welll by not doing I hear Im leaving money on the Table.  I have another Im Going to Post in a few days.  Pretty much deciding what in my group is time to CGC and What isnt CGC worthy