• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Art Mylars
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Hi all,

After reading some of the suggestions, I ordered some mylars from Blue Line Pro on Nov 29, 2017 and they have still not arrived.  I emailed several times and they said they are on back order.  I called and it sounded like a little girl answered who told me to call in the morning between only a few hours.  Has anyone else had this kind of problem with them?

Who else can I buy mylars from who I don't have to waste my time just getting the things I purchased from them?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I am sure this has been asked a million times, probably at least once by me already, but what sizes do you buy for normal OA and twice up art (and do they accommodate backing boards, ie. do you use backing boards when you buy the sleeves, and if so, do they fit)?  Thanks in advance.

10 hours ago, inovrmihd said:

I am sure this has been asked a million times, probably at least once by me already, but what sizes do you buy for normal OA and twice up art (and do they accommodate backing boards, ie. do you use backing boards when you buy the sleeves, and if so, do they fit)?  Thanks in advance.

I cannot help with advice about mylars for normal OA as I do not use them for that sized art. But I really do not see any problem. Just measure your art and pick a size that is at least slightly larger. Mostly I use mylars for Simon & Kirby art which is done on illustration boards. Illustration boards are actually thicker than backing boards. But I do have some delicate art that requires backing boards and they work fine.

Wondering if anyone else has used ClearBags for “supersize” art.

Some artists like Frank Cho often work on 19x24 or slightly smaller “XL / XXL” sizes.

I find the really big mylars to be unwieldy  (and can’t fit in a portfolio). But the ClearBags are a bit easier to work with and seem to have every conceivable dimension available.

They are not Mylar but ClearBags claim to be Archival safe, anyone else use them?

10 hours ago, romitaman said:

EVERY OTHER company in the hobby buys their mylar bags from egerber and they add their extra profit fees....buying from anyone else you are paying extra fees for no reason.

Yep, it can be a big savings in most cases by ordering through E Gerber. 

The only exception is a smaller order where the $15 min shipping charge makes it a wash with a company like Bags Unlimited that has shipping included in most of their orders. But even that is going away as their prices on 4 mil mylar aren't even close to competitive like they used to be. Only the 2 mil bags with a flap are in the same general range on a small order when factoring in shipping. 

For almost every other order it's E Gerber. 

I've bought mylars and boards from Bill Cole Enterprises (BCE) and Blue Line Pro.  Gerber does not seem to have the same variety of mylar sizes for art as either BCE or Blue Line and also does not seem to sell any backing boards for art.

As an aside, I cannot say definitively but I don't believe BCE gets their supply from Gerber.

2 hours ago, Ironmandrd said:

As an aside, I cannot say definitively but I don't believe BCE gets their supply from Gerber.

Who knows about 2018 but my recollection 'back in the day' of the 1980s mylar wars as that both Ernst Gerber and Bill Cole each claimed to have the superior product and there was a patent fight etc. All IIRC and all ancient history, just bringing it up as historically these two companies sold similar but not the same product.