• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC ERROR?? Is it possible?

11 posts in this topic

I got into collecting CGC graded books over a year ago and I was curious. Is it possible for them to make a mistake? I have an issue of XO Manowar # 0 that appears to be the Error but isn’t marked as such. Is it possible it’s something that was overlooked in the grading process? 

8453FE0A-0ECD-48FA-BE57-4C5027FDDCAC.jpeg

it is possible they made a mistake.  If you think there's an issue, just email cgc your question with a picture and a description of the issue and see what they say.

If you didn't submit the book yourself, then it's likely that the submitter did not indicate the "error" on their submission form.  Unless there's some clear mistake on the part of the submitter, CGC doesn't automatically change the label for books that aren't officially-recognized errors/variants. In the case of the X-O Manowar #0 book, the print run was nearly 1,000,000 copies and the full chromium cover process was new (X-O #0 was the first comic in the industry to have the full chromium cover). The fact that the 1,000,000 comics from a new production process do not all look identical is not surprising, however, there was no differentiation made by Valiant when the books were produced so there's no "official error" for X-O #0 (in the way that Valiant issued Magnus #57 with the pages out of order, then they officially corrected it, so there really is an "official error" for Magnus #57 and an "official correct" Magnus #57).

That's really a long way of saying, yes, CGC probably messed up, but CGC "created" this error in 2007 by putting it on the label for a submitter who sent them a copy and a note about the error.  I'm not surprised that CGC missed the error if another submitter didn't mention it.

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

... and one that is noted on the CGC label.

0249366011_1200.jpg

Cool. A structurally perfect mistake! Love it :grin:

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

:bigsmile: A reasonable estimate would be that probably 100,000 copies of the "error" exist... so the mistake outsold most current comics from Marvel and DC.  Not rare... that's for sure.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:
5 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

:bigsmile: A reasonable estimate would be that probably 100,000 copies of the "error" exist... so the mistake outsold most current comics from Marvel and DC.  Not rare... that's for sure.

Oh, really? I don't much care for it now :p

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Oh, really? I don't much care for it now :p

:p Me either. There are 3 CGC 10 (of the error) on the census. I only bought it to have a pair with the old label. :wink:

0062501012_1200.jpg

Edited by valiantman

Are you referring to the whole "Ivory logo"? That debate is still up in the air as to whether or not these are real errors. There was a theory that the way the book was stored could change the white color. As in, possibly being stored in a hotter than usual environment. I don't think it was ever resolved.