• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For those that enjoy topics like the Art of the Steal documentary

5 posts in this topic

There’s been a legal battle going on for a few months between the folks at the Berkshire Musem and people who didn’t want to see the trustees of the museum liquidate works that were donated to said museum including works by  Rockwell and Calder.

That battle is now over. The implications to the arts over donated works may prove interesting in the years to come.

http://www.artnews.com/2018/04/05/ending-lengthy-legal-battle-berkshire-museum-sell-off-approved-top-massachusetts-court/

6 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

There’s been a legal battle going on for a few months between the folks at the Berkshire Musem and people who didn’t want to see the trustees of the museum liquidate works that were donated to said museum including works by  Rockwell and Calder.

That battle is now over. The implications to the arts over donated works may prove interesting in the years to come.

http://www.artnews.com/2018/04/05/ending-lengthy-legal-battle-berkshire-museum-sell-off-approved-top-massachusetts-court/

I have been reading about this for a while, and it is actually not as rare as you may think. There is something in the law called the "cy pres" doctrine, from Wikipedia, generally meaning: "When the original objective of the settlor or the testator became impossible, impracticable, or illegal to perform, the cy-près doctrine allows the court to amend the terms of the charitable trust as closely as possible to the original intention of the testator or settlor to prevent the trust from failing." Cy pres covers more ground than just trusts or wills, but you get the idea.

For people who do want to make a donation to charity, they have to be dam'n clear that cy pres will not be utilized (get a lawyer on this), and even then, a court will sometimes bend what the donor wants in order to preserve the charity. Certainly, do not sign something the charity/museum gives you because the odds are pretty good the paperwork will allow future "de-acquisition." That's because lawyers write things to help their clients, like, the charity/museum. 

Thanks for the pictures. These are so...pure. I've never seen either, I see a lot more NC Wyeth in his work than I usually do in that bottom piece.  Just incredible.  I mean, the chipping paint, the perfect brick colors, the way you can feel the texture of the chair's foot rest if you imagine sitting in it...just...everything...even the Ducks...Thanks.

Edited by williamhlawson
sunday

7 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

And this; to me, is a matter of great concern if it is indeed upheld.