• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for European Art Collectors

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Looking for insight on Italian comic art. Toying with the idea of getting a Diabolik cover or Dylan Dog Cover. Not in a hurry. Just trying to learn -as this is early stages. Seems like there have been tons of artists on both of these. Wondering who are the best known names/artists on these characters? is there certain runs that are better?

images shown are random - to add interest for those who don't know what I am talking about. color image is Dylan Dog and the 2nd is Diabolik.

dyaln.jpg

diabolik.jpg

Hi there from Italy!

You're trying to get covers of two of the most popular Italian "heroes", so be ready to pay some cash.

Dyd has been around from 1986. More than 300 issues and still going. The first 41 covers were done by Claudio Villa and are almost impossibile to find (black hole collections); when this happens, prices are very high. Then Angelo Stano jumped on board and he was the regular cover artist till 300-ish (but he switched to digital somewhen). Now you have Gigi Cavenago, who is really great but it's all digital.
You can get other covers from specials, annuals, reprints, etc., but people are craving for the first covers up to issues #100. Price range for a Stano cover 1.200€ for the crappy ones to 4.000€ for the top ones. I saw one Villa cover recently for 9.000€. Reprints, specials etc are far less expensive (Bruno Brindisi or Corrado Roi). It all depends on what you are looking for... The image you are showing is the Dyd cover done by Mignola for the US edition of Dylan Dog (Dark Horse).

Diabolik has been published since the 60ties, but, if my memory helps me, all the published material is owned by Astorina, the publishing company. They have a huge vault full of OA that are never going to sell. Sometimes you can find some nice illo et similia, but not original covers done for the original series. Specials and reprints may be available (but I don't think so). You might be able to find some art from the French edition.

Anything else, just ask!

PS: I used to own a nice Stano cover that I sold to get a very important panel page from issue 100 featuring Dyd, Xabaras and Morgana... It's like trading a nice Spidey cover from an anonymous number for a wondeful panel page from a key issue featuring MJ and Goblin. Same rules of the US market apply here as well!

Hey, I used to own that Mignola Dylan Dog cover. It was pretty keen. Bought it from Mike at SDCC way back when. Sold it when I determined it didn't really nestle in well with my collection. It sold to (dun dun dunnnn) an Italian collector. Kinda miss it some times, but when I had it, it felt like a bit of an outsider somehow, and I'd always intended to end up with a different piece from Mike. Still haven't scratched that itch.

I'm done rambling. Back to your thread...

DSCN2439.JPG

Edited by ESeffinga

6 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

Hey, I used to own that Mignola Dylan Dog cover. It was pretty keen. Bought it from Mike at SDCC way back when. Sold it when I determined it didn't really nestle in well with my collection. It sold to (dun dun dunnnn) an Italian collector. Kinda miss it some times, but when I had it, it felt like a bit of an outsider somehow, and I'd always intended to end up with a different piece from Mike. Still haven't scratched that itch.

DSCN2439.JPG

You sold it to my friend Alberto!

6 hours ago, pestonaccio said:

Hi there from Italy!

You're trying to get covers of two of the most popular Italian "heroes", so be ready to pay some cash.

Dyd has been around from 1986. More than 300 issues and still going. The first 41 covers were done by Claudio Villa and are almost impossibile to find (black hole collections); when this happens, prices are very high. Then Angelo Stano jumped on board and he was the regular cover artist till 300-ish (but he switched to digital somewhen). Now you have Gigi Cavenago, who is really great but it's all digital.
You can get other covers from specials, annuals, reprints, etc., but people are craving for the first covers up to issues #100. Price range for a Stano cover 1.200€ for the crappy ones to 4.000€ for the top ones. I saw one Villa cover recently for 9.000€. Reprints, specials etc are far less expensive (Bruno Brindisi or Corrado Roi). It all depends on what you are looking for... The image you are showing is the Dyd cover done by Mignola for the US edition of Dylan Dog (Dark Horse).

Diabolik has been published since the 60ties, but, if my memory helps me, all the published material is owned by Astorina, the publishing company. They have a huge vault full of OA that are never going to sell. Sometimes you can find some nice illo et similia, but not original covers done for the original series. Specials and reprints may be available (but I don't think so). You might be able to find some art from the French edition.

Anything else, just ask!

PS: I used to own a nice Stano cover that I sold to get a very important panel page from issue 100 featuring Dyd, Xabaras and Morgana... It's like trading a nice Spidey cover from an anonymous number for a wondeful panel page from a key issue featuring MJ and Goblin. Same rules of the US market apply here as well!

Thanks for all the insight!

4 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

DSCN2439.JPG

Cool. These boards have so many stories to tell.  Can' believe you had the Art!