• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay seller Tonfulle-84. $357 for a Stan Lee forgery

142 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

kav, those you posted are really hard i think,,,, now here is one hard to decipher in my opinion , but a famous person

Image result for tough to read presidential autographs

@James J Johnson do you have one of these?

your are easy cause I can just reverse google image search-Trump

ps this one I didnt need to search-I read an article on what his spiky sig signifies so remembered it

Edited by kav

22 minutes ago, kav said:

your are easy cause I can just reverse google image search-Trump

ps this one I didnt need to search-I read an article on what his spiky sig signifies so remembered it

Very recognizable. Even when they try forging Trump's signature. Looks like it was produced by a seismograph rather than a hand!

Edited by James J Johnson

8 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Very recognizable. Even when they try forging Trump's signature. Looks like it was produced by a seismograph rather than a hand!

definitely a decisive confident signature

6 minutes ago, kav said:

definitely a decisive confident signature

Typically, with signatures like this, the exact number of excessively multiple waves, either sine-waves, as in Jimmie Foxx, or spikes, as in Trump, is overlooked by the forger (as well as the other intricacies common to someone's handwriting).

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Typically, with signatures like this, the exact number of excessively multiple waves, either sine-waves, as in Jimmie Foxx, or spikes, as in Trump, is overlooked by the forger (as well as the other intricacies common to someone's handwriting).

definitely

try this on for size:

Screenshot 2019-02-10 at 10.39.54 AM.png

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:54 PM, James J Johnson said:

Here's my advice for buying a Stan Lee autograph, or just about anyone else.

Avoid PGX certified autographs. From what I've seen, in my opinion, they flip a coin. Heads it's good, and tails it's good. IMO, they either haven't a clue, or don't really care.  ??? 

Avoid buying an item unless the seller stands behind it.

Avoid buying a signed item that would have very negligible value, like low grade bargain box garbage, unless it was signed. This is where forgers profit. Turning slow quarters into fast 20s, turning $100 worth of inventory into $10,000. Tens of thousands of forged thrift shop bought books, records, videos, posters, etc., etc become forged items and are sold each week on ebay. Think of ebay as the wild west when it comes to autographed material.

By observing these three very basic tenets for autograph buyer's survival on ebay, you'll improve your chance of buying a genuine auto by 50%.

And they should know better than to mess with sheriff JJ Johnson... :slapfight:

9 minutes ago, kav said:

definitely

try this on for size:

Screenshot 2019-02-10 at 10.39.54 AM.png

I'd be guessing. Never seen that one before. Looks musical in nature as there's a makeshift 5 line music staff motif worked into it, either by design or accident.

Stevie Wonder?

I'd be guessing. Never seen that one before. Looks musical in nature as there's a makeshift 5 line music staff motif worked into it, either by design or accident.

Stevie Wonder?

Its the zen master baghwan rajneesh

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

He might be a master of Zen, but not of the pen.

well its not supposed to be any actual letters it's an expression of his spirit.

I thought we did these?

no there's still 3 outstanding and youre up!

6 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i already answered the top two !

no you did the first and third no one has gotten 2 yet

Just now, 1950's war comics said:

i already answered the top two !

A word about authentication. True cognitive autograph authentication is very different than recognizing different autographs. One way to authenticate is to use a library of exemplars, the more cpmprehensive that library, the better the chance of a positive outcome. But the true experts hone their level of skills with a certain, finite number of signors, concentrating their study and attention to the details of those and comparisons of the same over a large swath of time. Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and some others, I've spent decades studying their signatures and handwriting. Letters, documents, etc., not just their signatures, but their actual handwriting. About a dozen or so more with the same intense scrutiny. Carrie Fischer? I've seen many, and I know what should be there, but I don't have the same confidence to ID her handwriting like I do Jack and Stan and some others, where exemplars are unnecessary, and I know their hand as well as I do my own. While recognizing signatures can be fun and a challenge, authenticating a well studied signature is as different as night and day.

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

A word about authentication. True cognitive autograph authentication is very different than recognizing different autographs. One way to authenticate is to use a library of exemplars, the more cpmprehensive that library, the better the chance of a positive outcome. But the true experts hone their level of skills with a certain, finite number of signors, concentrating their study and attention to the details of those and comparisons of the same over a large swath of time. Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and some others, I've spent decades studying their signatures and handwriting. Letters, documents, etc., not just their signatures, but their actual handwriting. About a dozen or so more with the same intense scrutiny. Carrie Fischer? I've seen many, and I know what should be there, but I don't have the same confidence to ID her handwriting like I do Jack and Stan and some others, where exemplars are unnecessary, and I know their hand as well as I do my own. While recognizing signatures can be fun and a challenge, authenticating a well studied signature is as different as night and day.

I understand it was just a fun challenge I'll do the reveal:

Spoiler

Monet

George Lucas

Mark Hamill

Anthony Hopkins

Chris Evans

These days, with the lack of handwriting drills, there is a lack of fluidity and legibility to many autographs.  As well as the repetition where the sig starts breaking down after a while.  Levar Burton from TNG has a nice artistic sig.  I have many Trek sigs, on figures, cards and flats, but no top celebs.  This is a good thread, though.

Edited by Spidey 62