• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An eBay change? regarding blocked bidder exemptions
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I have a general block on bidders from outside the US, some things happened years ago that made me decide not to continue taking them. However I always kept my sales here open to everyone and I always put anyone from here who wanted to bid on the blocked bidder exemption list.

I haven't sold all the much on eBay in a while, so it was not much of an issue until recently. Someone told me he couldn't bid on my books, so I put him on the exemption list. 

Then he could see my ID, but my listings showed as zero, unless I gave him a specific link.

So I called eBay and they told me that the Blocked Bidder Exemption list is no longer valid. That I can't just allow specific people to bid, it has to be everyone. I said that was odd, since the site has links to the blocked bidder exemption list, but I was told this was in effect for a while..

So I told the boarder what happened and he said..."now I CAN see listings". So he tried bidding and he could.

I suppose I'm not the only one who restricts bidders on eBay but let's people she is comfortable with bid. If I'm wrong and I'm THE only one;) then ignore this;)

If I'm not the only one...if you know someone who is out of your area on eBay but who you would exempt from your blocks...send them a list of your books WITH LINKS;)

11 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I have a general block on bidders from outside the US, some things happened years ago that made me decide not to continue taking them. However I always kept my sales here open to everyone and I always put anyone from here who wanted to bid on the blocked bidder exemption list.

I haven't sold all the much on eBay in a while, so it was not much of an issue until recently. Someone told me he couldn't bid on my books, so I put him on the exemption list. 

Then he could see my ID, but my listings showed as zero, unless I gave him a specific link.

So I called eBay and they told me that the Blocked Bidder Exemption list is no longer valid. That I can't just allow specific people to bid, it has to be everyone. I said that was odd, since the site has links to the blocked bidder exemption list, but I was told this was in effect for a while..

So I told the boarder what happened and he said..."now I CAN see listings". So he tried bidding and he could.

I suppose I'm not the only one who restricts bidders on eBay but let's people she is comfortable with bid. If I'm wrong and I'm THE only one;) then ignore this;)

If I'm not the only one...if you know someone who is out of your area on eBay but who you would exempt from your blocks...send them a list of your books WITH LINKS;)

If you don't want to sell outside the US, look no further than the Shipping section on your listing page when you create a listing. Immediately to the right of the word "INTERNATIONAL", there's a drop down box you can set to "NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING". That's all you need to do. That one option in that box will eliminate the placement of bids from any ebay members outside of the US.

20 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

If you don't want to sell outside the US, look no further than the Shipping section on your listing page when you create a listing. Immediately to the right of the word "INTERNATIONAL", there's a drop down box you can set to "NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING". That's all you need to do. That one option in that box will eliminate the placement of bids from any ebay members outside of the US.

Maybe I was not clear. I have blocked bidders for years by location. I want to EXEMPT certain people (boarders and friends) from that block and ALLOW them to bid...and that's what I've been able to do with the exemption list. eBay says that does not work anymore, but it kind of still does.

18 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Maybe I was not clear. I have blocked bidders for years by location. I want to EXEMPT certain people (boarders and friends) from that block and ALLOW them to bid...and that's what I've been able to do with the exemption list. eBay says that does not work anymore, but it kind of still does.

It should work. I don't sell on ebay, I only buy, but I've been a member since the 90s. I've introduced many friends and family to ebay, helping them set up sales and that function was always there. Up until at least 6 months ago. I can't imagine why Ebay would eliminate that important exclusion feature. If it works for you intermittently, it could be an ebay issue, cookies, cache, or just a glitch that ebay techs might have to look into for you on their end. These quirks happen from time to time. About 6 months ago, I couldn't get onto my "PURCHASED ITEMS" page. Knowing that Ebay always gives you numerous paths to get to the same place, I took a different route, using a different chain of hyperlinks and that path worked like a charm. Pain in the butt,  not the usual quick access, but got there nonetheless. If the problem persists, and you can't find another path to that function, call ebay. Have their agent run it by their tech support. My problem disappeared as mysteriously as it manifested itself. One day, I took my old path into "PURCHASED ITEMS" and there it was, all straightened out.

Edited by James J Johnson

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Global shipping program... ever since I switched to utilizing the GSP I wish I had done it sooner. 

The alternative was blocking international sales all together. 

Me too. It is so easy. I lost a $275 comic commission to Italy a few months ago and switched to gps shortly after. I now have more international sales and zero hassle.

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

It should work. I don't sell on ebay, I only buy, but I've been a member since the 90s. I've introduced many friends and family to ebay, helping them set up sales and that function was always there. Up until at least 6 months ago. I can't imagine why Ebay would eliminate that important exclusion feature. If it works for you intermittently, it could be an ebay issue, cookies, cache, or just a glitch that ebay techs might have to look into for you on their end. These quirks happen from time to time. About 6 months ago, I couldn't get onto my "PURCHASED ITEMS" page. Knowing that Ebay always gives you numerous paths to get to the same place, I took a different route, using a different chain of hyperlinks and that path worked like a charm. Pain in the butt,  not the usual quick access, but got there nonetheless. If the problem persists, and you can't find another path to that function, call ebay. Have their agent run it by their tech support. My problem disappeared as mysteriously as it manifested itself. One day, I took my old path into "PURCHASED ITEMS" and there it was, all straightened out.

I have no idea why they would opt to get rid of it either. I know it makes no sense, that's why I made some phone calls before posting here.

I called eBay   before I posted this and spoke to 3 people, they are the ones who told me it didn't work anymore, it does work for bidding, not for people seeing your list. I know it's a glitch, they don't seem to know.

I'm a power seller on eBay have been one since the program started, and I've been on eBay for 20 years.  I understand how the program works. This is obviously an eBay glitch. I'd rather not push it, because if they really don't want us to use it, they may remove the program from the links. 

I don't do the Global shipping program because too many people here complain about it. The buyers are charged too much and too many have to pay taxes when they shouldn't. It's not for me. I'm fine with the U.S. and people I know.  If I miss making a few $$ on a sale, it's worth it for me, as I said I don't sell that often anymore.

Edited by skypinkblu

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:
3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

"What is I like oranges, for $300, Alex?"

chumley.jpg

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Global shipping program... ever since I switched to utilizing the GSP I wish I had done it sooner. 

The alternative was blocking international sales all together. 

It's funny...I was part of the GSP since its beta inception back about 10 years ago. 

I kept reading, here and elsewhere, that many international buyers won't deal with the GSP.

I used to sell quite a bit to international customers. Starting about 2013 or so, I noticed I no longer had them.

Last year, I decided, after reading numerous posts by international buyers, to opt out of the GSP.

International customers came back. 

So, I dunno what is best, really. I did have the GSP lose a package in Kentucky, which was annoying.