• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Giant Size X-Men

75 posts in this topic

I'm getting ready to sit down to read Giant-Size X-Men #3. Is anybody else really disappointed that they could not come up with an original cover? (Sure it was redone, but really ... how many times do we have to see the "popping out of the cover" cover?) I don't care if it has been 30 years since the last issue... get a bit more creative, Marvel!

I'm getting ready to sit down to read Giant-Size X-Men #3. Is anybody else really disappointed that they could not come up with an original cover? (Sure it was redone, but really ... how many times do we have to see the "popping out of the cover" cover?) I don't care if it has been 30 years since the last issue... get a bit more creative, Marvel!

Hah! Wait until you actually read the piece of [#@$%!!!]...

I thought the new story was pretty disappointing. I thought Whedon got Wolverine all wrong - he portrayed the character as he might act/speak now, which seemed pretty out of character to me for a story that takes place around the same time as GSXM #1. I had higher hopes for Adams' art as well, which was the main reason I bought the book...

I thought the new story was pretty disappointing. I thought Whedon got Wolverine all wrong - he portrayed the character as he might act/speak now, which seemed pretty out of character to me for a story that takes place around the same time as GSXM #1. I had higher hopes for Adams' art as well, which was the main reason I bought the book...

Yeah, I didn't realize that there was only 5 new pages and 3 reprinted issues. And what was up with the "all-new story" anyway? Was it supposed to be taking place following GSXM #1? I'm rather disappointed that I spend $5 on this thing. frown.gif I'm curious, did GSXM #1 have some issue reprints in it as well? Or was it all new at the time?

I had higher hopes for Adams' art as well, which was the main reason I bought the book...

Adams hasn't done great work since the earliest Continuity stories. In most cases his work looks rushed and sloppy (Valeria). In some cases, it's just plain awful (Mr T). I'd like to see him take on a monthly title and see how his art develops over time. I suspect part of the problem is his lack of regular comic output...

Jim

I had higher hopes for Adams' art as well, which was the main reason I bought the book...

Adams hasn't done great work since the earliest Continuity stories. In most cases his work looks rushed and sloppy (Valeria). In some cases, it's just plain awful (Mr T). I'd like to see him take on a monthly title and see how his art develops over time. I suspect part of the problem is his lack of regular comic output...

Jim

Isn't he slated for a run of All-Star Batman & Robin after Jim Lee's run is complete?

Isn't he slated for a run of All-Star Batman & Robin after Jim Lee's run is complete?

Where did you read that?

Jim

THought I saw it in another thread. I'll see if I can't hunt it down.

Why is the cover to this GSX3 screwed up?

Cyclops is featured on the cover and he isn't even in the issue as part of the team. confused.gif

Wolverine is pictured twice on the cover. confused.gif

gossip.gif Homage to GSXM #1. Cyc similarly appeared twice on that cover.

Thank you Mr. Obvious.

They used characters relative to the current continuity in the background. They used characters used in the interior story in the foreground. Which is why sunfire is pictured, when he wasn't used on the original GSX1.

confused.gif Sorry, I somehow thought you were asking a question about why the GSXM #3 cover looks like it does. My bad.

Zonker, I didn't intend for it to be a question. Sorry that deathlok had to be himself and send flamage your way. flowerred.gif

I was just basically commenting that I'm tired of seeing this type of cover used over and over and over and over and over and ...........

My real question is ... did this new story take place in the continuity just after GSXM #1 did? Because isn't Warpath dead? I mean, I guess it was obvious that Piotr was shocked that he could suddenly speak and understand English, but why would Whedon have written this short piece of [#@$%!!!] 30 years later that supposedly takes place just after the first appearance of Storm, Nightcrawler, and Colossus?

Oh, I'm getting dizzy! foreheadslap.gif

Hobgoblin:

Is anybody else really disappointed that they could not come up with an original cover? (Sure it was redone, but really ... how many times do we have to see the "popping out of the cover" cover?)

Well, it *is* a classic image. And Marvel was probably banking on the familiar image bringing in at least a few more readers who wouldn't have glanced at it otherwise.

delekkerste:

thought the new story was pretty disappointing. I thought Whedon got Wolverine all wrong - he portrayed the character as he might act/speak now, which seemed pretty out of character to me for a story that takes place around the same time as GSXM #1.

Yeah. It read like the modern-day Wolverine training a bunch of new characters. Wolverine acted in a totally different way in the mid-70s.

Hobgoblin:

And what was up with the "all-new story" anyway? Was it supposed to be taking place following GSXM #1?

It takes place *after* Professor X gathers them all, but *before* they actually go to Krakoa.

deathlok:

Why is the cover to this GSX3 screwed up? Cyclops is featured on the cover and he isn't even in the issue as part of the team. Wolverine is pictured twice on the cover.

deathlok:

They used characters relative to the current continuity in the background. They used characters used in the interior story in the foreground. Which is why sunfire is pictured, when he wasn't used on the original GSX1.

Nice of you to answer your own question, 'lok! (Delayed Reaction Syndrome)

deathlok:

Why is the cover to this GSX3 screwed up? Cyclops is featured on the cover and he isn't even in the issue as part of the team. Wolverine is pictured twice on the cover.

deathlok:

Nice of you to answer your own question, 'lok! (Delayed Reaction Syndrome)

I didn't answer my own question. Of course had you bothered to read my question you would have understood that.