• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK PANTHER 2 directed by Ryan Coogler (TBD)
8 8

829 posts in this topic

On 11/9/2022 at 12:35 PM, Straw-Man said:

as for these birds, if you think disney did not get to them for rigged reviews, you probably also think the best boudin comes from vermont.

If you say so. I wouldn't know.

On 11/9/2022 at 12:35 PM, Straw-Man said:

as for these birds, if you think disney did not get to them for rigged reviews, you probably also think the best boudin comes from vermont.

You mean these same birds who strongly disliked Black Widow (which I agree with, a truly sub-par story) and were negatively mixed on Eternals? It just possibly couldn't be because Wakanda Forever might possibly be a good movie. You guys really are intent on seeing the MCU's Phase Four as the worst thing to befall humanity since Olestra.

On 11/2/2022 at 10:43 PM, drotto said:

Popular cultural importance and role model are two completely separate things. Yes, fictional characters can be role models to children, but once someone passes the age of about 12, I doubt most people would list a fictional character as a role model.  Important culturally, possibly,  but not a lifelong role model. Most adults, realize these characters are fictional and as such not something that can be emulated especially when they lead such overly fantastic lives. I think you consistently over estimate the importance of fictional depictions and characters to the real world. In addition, your repeated insinuation, that nothing has been done or represented until Disney Marvel has done it, as shown by your downplaying Blade, or previously movies like Wonder Woman in favor of Captain Marvel, gets tiresome.  

There is clearly a place for diverse representation in entertainment, but real life people are far more important.  Seeing minorities  in politics, running businesses, becoming famous scientists, maybe actors and athletes. These are real role models, and the ones that are essential for the advancement of minorities in the real world, not fictional characters. Popularity in entertainment is fleeting, thus always diminishing its long term impact. Real people doing meaningful things can be transformative.

Hero, role model, most favoritest character ever, whatever...

For decades, the Black Panther has obscurely existed as the main super-hero that those in the African-American community claimed, if they followed superheroes. The Black Panther has always been the one superhero who was the dream role or dream movie of whomever black actor or black filmmaker. Not Blade. Not Falcon. Not John Stewart. Not Cyborg. It's always been Black Panther. So when black filmmaker Ryan Coogler makes a great Black Panther movie featuring an all black cast and that featured story elements based on the black experience, one can understand how the MCU's Black Panther film became an important part of the pop culture identity of the African-American community. And no, I'm not virtue signaling. How many prominent black people have sung the movie's praises, stated how important it is to finally have a Marvel super-hero they can call their own? Rihanna came out of her temporary hiatus to sing the movie's main theme song because she knows the Black Panther's pop cultural mythic importance to the black community. She certainly doesn't need the money.

Yes, real life heroes are important, but so are fictional ones i.e. comic book movie superheroes. And finally the African American community has one they can be proud of and who they can call their own. And the movie also created a fictional mythical world for black audiences to latch onto the same way mainstream audiences have the all white Hogwarts or Middle Earth to latch on to. Sorry, Blade was not it. Sam Wilson was a career sidekick until now. Miles Morales is still a cartoon in mainstream media. The Black Panther is the one and Wakanda is it. Get it?

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 11/9/2022 at 2:20 PM, TupennyConan said:

lollollol 

Yes.

I'm kinda exaggerating, but I believe the Netflix Luke Cage series got less than 1% of the celebration, before during and after, within the black community that Black Panther had. Look, Luke Cage is cool, but Black Panther is the Batman for the black community, and Wakanda is its Hogwarts and Middle Earth. Now, no other super-hero or mythical place compares in pop culture.

On 11/9/2022 at 2:30 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm kinda exaggerating, but I believe the Netflix Luke Cage series got less than 1% of the celebration, before during and after, within the black community that Black Panther had. Look, Luke Cage is cool, but Black Panther is the Batman for the black community, and Wakanda is its Hogwarts and Middle Earth. Now, no other super-hero or mythical place compares in pop culture.

Sure, I agree with that.

I like Cage more, though. At least the comics version. Netflix didn't give us a great Cage.

Edited by TupennyConan

On 11/9/2022 at 12:18 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

You mean these same birds who strongly disliked Black Widow (which I agree with, a truly sub-par story) and were negatively mixed on Eternals? It just possibly couldn't be because Wakanda Forever might possibly be a good movie. You guys really are intent on seeing the MCU's Phase Four as the worst thing to befall humanity since Olestra.

it was sarcasm, sir.

On 11/9/2022 at 11:46 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

Hero, role model, most favoritest character ever, whatever...

For decades, the Black Panther has obscurely existed as the main super-hero that those in the African-American community claimed, if they followed superheroes. The Black Panther has always been the one superhero who was the dream role or dream movie of whomever black actor or black filmmaker. Not Blade. Not Falcon. Not John Stewart. Not Cyborg. It's always been Black Panther. So when black filmmaker Ryan Coogler makes a great Black Panther movie featuring an all black cast and that featured story elements based on the black experience, one can understand how the MCU's Black Panther film became an important part of the pop culture identity of the African-American community. And no, I'm not virtue signaling. How many prominent black people have sung the movie's praises, stated how important it is to finally have a Marvel super-hero they can call their own? Rihanna came out of her temporary hiatus to sing the movie's main theme song because she knows the Black Panther's pop cultural mythic importance to the black community. She certainly doesn't need the money.

Yes, real life heroes are important, but so are fictional ones i.e. comic book movie superheroes. And finally the African American community has one they can be proud of and who they can call their own. And the movie also created a fictional mythical world for black audiences to latch onto the same way mainstream audiences have the all white Hogwarts or Middle Earth to latch on to. Sorry, Blade was not it. Sam Wilson was a career sidekick until now. Miles Morales is still a cartoon in mainstream media. The Black Panther is the one and Wakanda is it. Get it?

I like that comparison - Black Panther does have an entire world, belief system and hero hierarchy all in one. I think with that being said, it would be great for Marvel to do some world-building around Wakanda. That could be pretty cool.