• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Couple Questions

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. New member here. I have a few questions and I hope they are ok to ask. I've never collected comics before but it has been something that has always interested me. I recently had a son and he has a 1 year birthday coming up and I thought it would be a cool idea to get him a comic every year until he's 18. I'm a big Batman fan so I hope he will be too since that is what I'm going to be buying at least starting out. I'm looking to get some of the more important issues with first appearances of characters and such. I was wondering what ones you think would be good ones to look out for. I'm not looking to break the bank but I know some are going to be pricey but since it's a once a year thing I don't mind. That leads to my second question. I want to get graded ones so I can put them on display in his room. I come from the sports card collecting world so I know a lot more about the grading system than I do with comics. When dealing with older comics what grades should I be looking for? Is it ok to pick up books with a low grade and they will still hold value? Thanks again and I look forward to learning more about this hobby.

Congratulations. Looks like our kids are the same age. I wouldn't put anything valuable in his room though, he throws everything on the tile floor, including my phone. 

I would buy a cool book for him but keep a "reader" copy for display or to handle. "Reader" copies are affordable, low grade copies or reprints that he can handle while you keep the good copy safe until he can appreciate it. Also look up the threads here about how displaying comics can damage them by exposing them to sunlight or just artificial light. Again, who cares if you are just displaying a well-loved reader copy? 

I'm partial to Spider-Man but pick books he may like until he gravitates towards a certain character or genre. What action figure does he like at the toy store for instance?

You can download the "Key Collector" app on your mobile device and then find the special books for that character. The price will be on a sliding scale depending on how nice a copy it is. Auctions are your friend, you're going to pay full market value or more if you buy at a flat rate.