• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book taught Americans about the Holocaust

18 posts in this topic

Let me add that Neal Adams should be commended for this. Now wouldn't it be great if they made a movie telling the story of how the comic book contributed in a positive way by educating Americans about the consequences of the ultimate evil in World History?

Wonder what Dr. Wertheim would think?

Edited by bronze johnny

17 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

Thx. I was extremely happy to come across this article for two reasons: 

- It's important that true collectors don't lose sight of the historical role the comic book has in educating people - especially about the Holocaust- the most horrific and heinous period of the 20th Century.

- It's refreshing to know that this hobby is a hell of a lot more than: what grade is the book? How much did you pay? I need the highest graded copy. My comic sells for 50x what I paid for it. Will the movie increase the value of my comic book? Send it in for a press. 

Thank goodness for the rich history of the American Comic Book! A history that grew up with many of us...

john

I used one of them emoji thingies to give you a "Thanks" but now think that I should have done something like a "+100" instead.

There is iron in your words if this hobby is to survive. 

-bc

10 hours ago, bc said:

I used one of them emoji thingies to give you a "Thanks" but now think that I should have done something like a "+100" instead.

There is iron in your words if this hobby is to survive. 

-bc

Thanks bc. This hobby is currently dominated by individuals pursuing their own self-interest and equate comic books to commodities. I encountered one recently- he had happily told me about a 5 figure acquisition and how it would appreciate (once a screenplay is completed) for him to make a huge profit. I congratulated him on his investing in a Silver Age book. He responded by asking me "what do I mean Silver Age book?" An example of someone that has a book but not a clue. 

Thankfully, there are some pursuing an enlightened self-interest and seeing it as a hobby rich in history, art, and storytelling. 

John

4 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

1C373793-7945-42DA-A3F8-5990D2187FDB.jpeg.27b41af5d8e4fc8f8de9b9ab86b04482.jpeg

Thanks for posting that! I thought there were several early GA books that actually had direct references to the camps that weren't specifically mentioned in that article. Think Blue Ribbon Comics 14, Daredevil Comics 1 and one of the early Wonder Woman (maybe #3 or #4?) issues directly referenced concentration camps in pictures and text.

Nice looking copy!

-bc

2 hours ago, bc said:

Thanks for posting that! I thought there were several early GA books that actually had direct references to the camps that weren't specifically mentioned in that article. Think Blue Ribbon Comics 14, Daredevil Comics 1 and one of the early Wonder Woman (maybe #3 or #4?) issues directly referenced concentration camps in pictures and text.

Nice looking copy!

-bc

Boy Comics 24 has a concentration camp story, and the cover to Boy 13 has people facing a firing squad. The victims look haggard, appearing to be in a camp.

On 5/3/2018 at 10:28 PM, AJD said:

I just realised that the article doesn't mention Maus. Seriously? I know it's not in the book, but it's probably the best - and best known - example of the genre.

Good observation. I'm wondering if they didn't considered Maus a comic book?

On 5/3/2018 at 10:28 PM, AJD said:

I just realised that the article doesn't mention Maus. Seriously? I know it's not in the book, but it's probably the best - and best known - example of the genre.

Yes!  I agree I was surprised too.   Maybe they wanted to create a book saying that there are other comics besides Maus, or maybe it was because those were comic books that were readily available as comic books and not just a mini-comic in a magazine like Maus.   

On 04/05/2018 at 3:28 AM, AJD said:

2 hours ago, Phantalien said:

Yes!  I agree I was surprised too.   Maybe they wanted to create a book saying that there are other comics besides Maus, or maybe it was because those were comic books that were readily available as comic books and not just a mini-comic in a magazine like Maus.   

It's too significant an example of the comics medium, applied to, describing experiences of this important topic, for the work to be left out of any such discussion : IMO, of course.