• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU: 1; Marvel Comics: 0...
2 2

49 posts in this topic

Marvel Comics produced stand-alone adaptations of the first three Star Wars movies...and, in between those, published an ongoing Star Wars comic book series with the continuing adventures of those same characters in that same "universe", which ran for nearly 10 years. 

It may not have been a great series, but it was successful precisely because the movies were successful and there was a market for ancillary product.  Why not try to apply that same basic formula to the MCU? 

Speaking of ancillary product...does anyone know if Marvel has released video games set in the MCU?  That seems like another no-brainer...

1 hour ago, jools&jim said:

Marvel Comics produced stand-alone adaptations of the first three Star Wars movies...and, in between those, published an ongoing Star Wars comic book series with the continuing adventures of those same characters in that same "universe", which ran for nearly 10 years. 

It may not have been a great series, but it was successful precisely because the movies were successful and there was a market for ancillary product.  Why not try to apply that same basic formula to the MCU? 

Speaking of ancillary product...does anyone know if Marvel has released video games set in the MCU?  That seems like another no-brainer...

Can't say i've seen any game that directly tied to the MCU. The new Spider-Man game (PS4) coming out in September is considered outside of the comics/movies. 

3 hours ago, jools&jim said:

I played through this a few months back. It seemed pretty much to follow on from The Amazing Spider-Man film, both featuring The Lizard.

o5ubsta6slsepjidfu4s.jpg

Also, this loosely followed some of the details in the film...

167831-x-men-origins-wolverine-uncaged-e

Edited by Ken Aldred

Thanks. But neither of those are technically "MCU" games, right? Because for some reason the X-Men aren't part of the same (main?) movie "universe" as the Avengers, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Guardians, Thanos, etc., and because a redux Spider-Man was only a recent addition to that world?

I don't follow this movie stuff very closely at all, including who owns the rights to which characters, so please forgive me if I'm way off base here...

Edited by jools&jim

5 hours ago, jools&jim said:

I think the problem that comic books spun directly out of the movie universe would be the same as that of the Star Wars comics that were part of the “official cannon”: at some point the comic book storylines outpace the movie story lines. 

The movie writers don’t want to be tied down to making their scripts conform to the comic storylines. They certainly don’t want to feel pressured by fans to do a faithful adaptation of the comic stories. 

So inevitably what would happen - just like with the Star Wars comics - is they would do a hard reboot, dumping everything prior in favor of a new continuity that spins out of the new film. And then reboot again and again every time the comic continuity becomes inconvient. 

Regular comic readers would become disenchanted with the film comics as they deal with enough rebooting in the regular comics as it is - if they jump into the film comics at all. 

And new/casual readers would probably find trying to determine which film comics are still “official continuity” as confusing as trying to wade through 30+ years of continuity in the regular comics. 

I agree, it be nice if there would a nice jumping-on point for new fans of the films. Just not sure how well film-related comics would work. 

I seem to remember that, at least for the Star Wars comics produced by Marvel in the '70s and '80s while the original film franchise was still in progress, the comics writers and artists were under strict orders from Lucasfilm not to produce anything of consequence -- no major character changes (or deaths, obviously), no resolution of the Han-Luke-Leia (kinda creepy) love triangle, no tinkering with backstories, no epic plot twists, etc., so no formal continuity with the film plots, in other words. 

Instead, what you got was a lot of shilly-shallying around the galaxy, weird alien encounters, rescue missions, etc., etc. -- mostly fluff, but sometimes well-written and drawn (Goodwin, Simonson, Williamson, etc.), reasonably entertaining, and all more-or-less consistent with the tone, look, and feel of the Star Wars universe.

So in that case at least, it seems that the opposite of what you're talking about was true: the movie writers simply ignored the comics stories (if they knew about them at all!), and the comics creators found ways not to interfere with or contradict the continuity of the movies.  

And yet for all that creative hamstringing by Lucasfilm, the Marvel Star Wars comics sold for 10 years, and in fact outlasted the original film series by several years. It may not have been a rampaging success story, but it was most certainly a film-related comics series that worked...

Edited by jools&jim

2 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Thanks. But neither of those are technically "MCU" games, right? Because for some reason the X-Men aren't part of the same (main?) movie "universe" as the Avengers, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Guardians, Thanos, etc., and because a redux Spider-Man was only a recent addition to that world?

I don't follow this movie stuff very closely at all, including who owns the rights to which characters, so please forgive me if I'm way off base here...

245399-thor-god-of-thunder-playstation-3

captain+america+super+soldier+(2).jpg

IronMan2BoxArt-56a738035f9b58b7d0e7f447.

I don't buy many of them because they tend to be bad to average.

The Amazing Spider-Man and Wolverine Origins are the only PS3 / X-Box 360 period games I have.