• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MCU: 1; Marvel Comics: 0...
2 2

49 posts in this topic

A few days ago, I was in a comic book store, and overheard the following conversation between a friendly and deeply knowledgeable clerk, and a customer who appeared to be in his mid/late 20s.

========================================================

CLERK:  Can I help you find something?

CUSTOMER:  Uh…yes.  I'm interested in the Marvel Cinematic Universe comics, especially the Infinity War comic book.

CLERK:  Okay.  Do you mean that you liked the movie and want to read more about the characters?  I mean, their origins and history and such?

CUSTOMER:  I guess.  What I really want is the Infinity War comic book…the one that the movie was based on.

CLERK:  Well…that doesn't really exist. There was a Marvel series called "Infinity War" that came out a long time ago, but it's not the same story as what you saw in the film.  The MCU uses familiar characters from the comics to tell more-or-less original stories unique to the movies.  The situations and storylines are inspired by lots of different comic books published by Marvel over the past 80 years or so, but aren't really strict adaptations of any one comic book or series in particular.  

CUSTOMER: Oh…uh, okay.  Thanks.

========================================================

The poor guy seem bewildered.  And I can't blame him.

He clearly wasn't a long-time collector or reader of comics at all.  He simply liked the movies, and made what for him was an entirely reasonable assumption: namely, that comic book movies would naturally be adapted from pre-existing comic books, in the same way that movies like "The Lord of the Rings", etc., are adapted from pre-existing novels.

So while it's encouraging that a superhero movie actually motivated someone to seek out comic books, it would be nice if Marvel had something more to offer these people than trade collections of comics published 25-40+ years ago, most of which will no doubt seem very dated, confusing, and/or irrelevant to a modern 20-something movie fan…

Edited by jools&jim

There will be a Marvel Cinematic Universe Comic eventually... 

Like they had the Ultimate Universe... the MCU Comics book should eventually make its way to comic shops.  I mean, it's only been ten years. 

personally I do not know why Disney does not command it.  Look what they are doing with the the movies and comics for Star Wars... supposedly they are tied together.   Why can't the comics have their own separate universe where they align with the movies? 

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

Would Star Wars + Marvel Superheros in one movie cause riots in the street or is yah a good thing?

And it was always a head scratch that not only have the comics not really resembled the movies, but the characters within did not resemble the movies-  "Hey I just saw the Avengers Age of Ultron and Thor Ragnorok, and I am interested in the Hulk. What is out right now?"....."Oh....well, uh....there is this kid named Amadeus Cho who is now the Hulk, because Bruce Banner is dead".....huh?!?

I feel like the clerk could have been a little clearer.  C'mon, 10 years in and you haven't developed a way to express to new customers that the movies are based on the books but not direct adaptations?  The clerk easily could have explained that the movie was partially inspired by Infinity Gauntlet, but is not a direct book to movie adaptation.

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

Would Star Wars + Marvel Superheros in one movie cause riots in the street or is yah a good thing?

In another thread, a boardie mentioned that it would be interesting to see Marvel / Disney and DC film crossovers, and imagine how confusing it would be if you had Star Wars and the New Gods in the same film? 

Edited by Ken Aldred

I get wanting to read more. But it sounded like the customer just wanted the comic book version of the movie. 

Like didn't you just watch the movie? Did you look at the sweeping cinematic scale and dramatic action and think "I'd like this more if it was shrunk down to 10" x 6.5" with static action and only takes about 12 minutes to consume" 

I was watching one of the Iron Man movies and more than a few times, I was saying to myself, "What??, no didn't happen that way" 
Of course, I was referring to the comic storylines as opposed to the movies. I almost wish they wouldn't even try to base movies off actual comic events because I can't turn that part of my brain off and just enjoy the movie for what it is. They change too much. (it's the same reason why I'm very reluctant to go see Ready Player One) I don't care what anybody says. Tony Stark's father had nothing to do with the super soldier serum :sumo:

The last one I that I watched and truly enjoyed was Guardians of the Galaxy because I didn't have as much skin in that game, memory wise, other than the fact that the Guardians team in the movie was completely different than the comic book team that I know.

Edited by Jerkfro

37 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Store owner sounds like he over thought it.  Just recommend Infinity Wars and Infinity Gauntlet and let the buyer figure out which way he should go from there.

I dunno.  Pushing stuff that came out in the early '90s still seems to me like a p!ss poor way for Marvel to support a gazillion-dollar modern mega-blockbuster at the LCS level. 

Like I said, '90s storylines--produced for '90s comic book fans during the heyday of "crossover" mania--will very likely feel dated, confusing, and/or irrelevant to a modern 20-something fan of the movies…

Edited by jools&jim

57 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

I dunno.  Pushing stuff that came out in the early '90s still seems to me like a p!ss poor way for Marvel to support a gazillion-dollar modern mega-blockbuster at the LCS level. 

Like I said, '90s storylines--produced for '90s comic book fans during the heyday of "crossover" mania--will very likely feel dated, confusing, and/or irrelevant to a modern 20-something fan of the movies…

I don't think so because the Infinity books were actually pretty well put together and stand up pretty well over time.  Now if you were talking about 60s DC books I can agree they do not hold up well with modern 20-somethings but 90s books may have been over produced but that series is pretty good.  I wonder if the guy was just trying to see what would happen next in the Avengers movies.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Store owner sounds like he over thought it.  Just recommend Infinity Wars and Infinity Gauntlet and let the buyer figure out which way he should go from there.

I don't know any of the backstory, so before I watch the movie I will read these two, at least it is a good starting point. 

IG.jpg.3691dacd496045436fa34d7eee6dbfbf.jpgIW.jpg.40879667a55cfd9d80ede3a32381bc68.jpg

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

I get wanting to read more. But it sounded like the customer just wanted the comic book version of the movie. 

Like didn't you just watch the movie? Did you look at the sweeping cinematic scale and dramatic action and think "I'd like this more if it was shrunk down to 10" x 6.5" with static action and only takes about 12 minutes to consume" 

I would assume that having just watched the movie...

Spoiler

He wanted to find out that/if the heroes were going to be resurrected.  He didn't want to reread the movie.  He wanted to read Infinity War Part 2.

22 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I think the whole story if false. After all, we have been told time and time again that the movies don't bring in new comic readers.

Exactly!  That was what was so remarkable about it. 

And so what do we do with this potential new reader?  We point him in the direction of expensive trade collections of stuff that was published before he was born. 

I'm sure he'll thrill to the machinations of Dr. Doom and Kang the Conqueror in "Infinity War", give a big ol' (shrug) to the Magus, and be elevated to new aesthetic heights by the luminously serviceable artwork of...Ron Lim.  :screwy:

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Agreed. The response of "Well, no such book really exists" basically leaves the customer without a book and the dealer without a sale. Seems like a no-brainer to say "Well, you know, it's not a direct adaptation, but there are several story elements from Infinity Gauntlet. That might be a good place to start," and then hook the guy up. Any other response is baffling.

46 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Agreed. The response of "Well, no such book really exists" basically leaves the customer without a book and the dealer without a sale. Seems like a no-brainer to say "Well, you know, it's not a direct adaptation, but there are several story elements from Infinity Gauntlet. That might be a good place to start," and then hook the guy up. Any other response is baffling.

I think it actually did go that way in the end (what I wrote out was just the beginning of the conversation).  As I was leaving the clerk was showing him the display of Thanos-related trades. 

But...that's still not what he specifically asked for. 

I know nothing about moderns. Does Marvel have a separate MCU line of comics, which reference and expand/explore the continuity of the films?

Edited by jools&jim

29 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

I think it actually did go that way in the end (what I wrote out was just the beginning of the conversation).  As I was leaving the clerk was showing him the display of Thanos-related trades. 

But...that's still not what he specifically asked for. 

I know nothing about moderns. Does Marvel have a separate MCU line of comics, which reference and expand/explore the continuity of the films?

Oh, good! I'd hate to think that he could have whiffed that sale when it was all teed up for him!

As for recent Marvels, I'm definitely not the guy to ask. Aside from Tom King's Vision, I haven't read a regular Marvel book in years.

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I don't think so because the Infinity books were actually pretty well put together and stand up pretty well over time.  Now if you were talking about 60s DC books I can agree they do not hold up well with modern 20-somethings but 90s books may have been over produced but that series is pretty good.  I wonder if the guy was just trying to see what would happen next in the Avengers movies.

The infinity books do not hold up well, especially War and Quest.  Gauntlet is decent.