• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirby 3x up?

6 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

Hey all,

I was curious about this piece. It says it measures 16 x 22.75.. is that a typo?. Or is this some kind of massive board that was worked on for this story?

Anyone who can explain/shed some light that would be great!

Thx

RickyB

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=756172

This may not be much help, but the board size is possible. I have an old convention sketch from John Byrne and Joe Rubinstein, circa 1980, which is at least 15" x 20". I framed it and don't know the actual board size, but there is enough room outside the image to support a board that big.

There are a few Marvel SA covers with larger image areas (15.5" x 22")..for example, I just recall how extra-big the TOS #84 cover looked in hand.  
TOS #84 (1966)

Early JIM panel pages typically have twice-up image areas of 18-19" in length, but there is 3-4 inches of margin (top and bottom) so conceivably Kirby could have utilized more of the board.  Perhaps the art extends beyond the guidelines and counted in the 22.75" length.  Or maybe the seller is math-challenged as the listing does state:

"We sold two early J.I.M pages by Kirby, in auction, collectively for $56K, consider this a bargain!"  Um... I think $56k / 2 = $28k, well below the $35k asking price LOL!  Still, an excellent Kirby page with Thor in all panels. 

27 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

There are a few Marvel SA covers with larger image areas (15.5" x 22")..for example, I just recall how extra-big the TOS #84 cover looked in hand.  
TOS #84 (1966)

Early JIM panel pages typically have twice-up image areas of 18-19" in length, but there is 3-4 inches of margin (top and bottom) so conceivably Kirby could have utilized more of the board.  Perhaps the art extends beyond the guidelines and counted in the 22.75" length.  Or maybe the seller is math-challenged as the listing does state:

"We sold two early J.I.M pages by Kirby, in auction, collectively for $56K, consider this a bargain!"  Um... I think $56k / 2 = $28k, well below the $35k asking price LOL!  Still, an excellent Kirby page with Thor in all panels. 

Thanks Dino. The person being math challenged did cross my mind. What really confused me was the width of the page. 16 inches? Twice up pages are only 12.5 inches wide. That's another 4 inches going wide. The cover example might be the closest example.

35 minutes ago, robert frey said:

I've seen that piece in person- very, very nice. Great Stone inks on that one.

Hey Robert,

Did the piece look larger than 2up? Like much bigger? The scan really sucks!