• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics as Gifts

9 posts in this topic

I was just listening to the Comics Zone on Metropolis' website, the one with Harlan Ellison. He described how his wife got him a copy of LEADING COMICS #1 in pristine condition for his birthday. That sounds like a pretty great gift to me! Has anyone else here ever received a really cool comic book as a gift, either for a Holiday or for their birthday?

The closest thing I ever got was a hundred dollar gift certificate to Comic Investments( a local comic shop) for Christmas from my parents when I was about 13 years old. I remember buying BATMAN #15, CRIME SUSPENSE #23 and HAUNT OF FEAR #24 with the certificate. Also, Feiffer's GREAT COMICBOOK HEROES on my first Communion day. cloud9.gif

my wife bought me an r crumb comic and a copy of ross's mythology

nothing super expensive

Your wife buys you R. Crumb? Talk about tolerant. I think my sweetheart would like to take a blowtorch to my copy of "My Troubles with Women."

My parents used to buy me comics as a post-traumatic pacifier every time I got allergy shots as a little kid, which was like once every two weeks for about a year. That [embarrasing lack of self control] was all the rage back then (the shots, not comics). 20 shots (10 in each arm) per session. I cried every time like a...well, like a little kid.

brand name golden age super hero books like Batman and Superman in the $50-$100 range were really good sellers at my friend's shop during the holidays. (this was when late 40s/early 50s non-keys cost about that much in VG to Fine) wives would come in and figure that was a cool gift for their husbands.

My husband and I get comics for each other. He likes the Golden and Silver Age, and I like the Copper Age, so it works out. Except I spend more on his lol27_laughing.gif

No really, he was into comics first and we found that it is something we can share and enjoy.

Alex (female) cloud9.gif