• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hey Cal, where are you ?
3 3

274 posts in this topic

Just now, James J Johnson said:

A non-color breaking bend = CGC 4.0 on an otherwise CGC 9.2 book? Yet there are 4.0s that look as though used to sop up a spill?

lol

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a 4.0, but full length bends get hammered, too.

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

lol

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a 4.0, but full length bends get hammered, too.

Though I don't remember which book or where I read it, I do remember that the article was about a CGC 4.0 being pressed to a CGC 9.2, that much stuck in my mind. Whatever it was, it definitely was a 4.0. I didn't actually see the book, the picture and issue number wasn't in the piece that I read, or I just plain missed it.

Cal may make little snips at me but he has never ever been mean spirited.

17 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The number 4.5 sticks in my mind, but someone who remembers might be along. Did a quick Google search, and couldn't find it. Someone in Golden would definitely know.

Could have been 4.5. End result definitely was 9.2 though.

10 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

the 4.0 to 9.0 example is an extreme on (Boy 11? wasn't it) where the staple was re-attached, probably minor dry cleaned and then pressed.....

That had to be it. It was a Golden age book, non-DC, non-Marvel.. But I didn't read it on this forum. I think it was mentioned in someone's blog that I was following at one time. But I do remember it stepping its way up incrementally. Like a 4.0 to an 8.0. Then from 8.0 to 9.0. Then finally progressing one more press/resubmission to 9.2.

Edited by James J Johnson

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

That had to be it. It was a Golden age book, non-DC, non-Marvel.. But I didn't read it on this forum. I think it was mentioned in someone's blog that I was following at one time. But I do remember it stepping its way up incrementally. Like a 4.0 to an 8.0. Then from 8.0 to 9.0. Then finally progressing one more press/resubmission to 9.2.

That's how my X-Men #100 went....from 6.5 to 8.5. Then, from 8.5 to 9.2. How much was due to grade range, and how much was due to actual improvement? Well, I thought after the second sub (an SS sub) that it would be a 9.0, but it got 9.2, so it's probably a 9.1, which doesn't exist. 

It was a great book to work on. Not a lot of value, but still...nice to see such potential.\

Wait, this is a Cal thread! ;)

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

But with the same logic, you can assume that TTA 101 is a better investment that Hulk 102 because it predates it, and similarly, TTA 101s in the 7.5 to 9.6 range sell for an average of 1/6th the price of Hulk 102, same as IMSM 1 routinely sells for the same % of the price for IM 1 and about 1/2 to 1/3 on average the price for Sub-Mariner 1. Clearly, IM 1 is the prime choice for speculation, followed by Sub 1, and then IMSM finishing a far distant third. I can't imagine it ever pulling any closer than it is now, in fact, over the past 15 years, the gap has widened considerably and still doing so. It's a novelty book as far as collectors speaking with their dollars. They buy the IM 1, then maybe the Sub 1 if into Submariner, and then the rare few will even consider that one, but when they do, i't's usually after they already have their IM 1-10 and whatever TOS issues they have on their wants. Definitely a novelty book and I don't see anything to support that changing in the future.

There are plenty of examples where logic doesn't dictate the market. Inertia does.

You might be right. I don't care either way.

I dont see IMSM ever taking off because its not a first appearance and not a continuing series.  It's a nothing burger.

1 minute ago, Jerkfro said:

Just like Provo Privy.

Exactly....lol, except here, you don't actually have to die first....(well, that is debatable I guess)