• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Burntboy Collection

149 posts in this topic

The owner of the Larson copies got honored with a dinner. All you can come up with is a barbecue that Harry has to host.

You're right, it's a stupid idea.

Don't worry....you weren't going to be invited. insane.gif (And this from the guy who still thinks Mad magazine song parodies are funny!)

B&B sells for $165. A $300 diff just for page quality. I would think the $450 buyer must feel like a chump right now. If I was the buyer @ 450, the only way the Ebay copy would go for less is if someone outbid me, because you better believe I would have had a $450 bid on it. Buy both, flip out the lesser copy on C-link.

Did you have a good look at both books. Maybe Burntboy's book was a stellar example. Maybe the book was undergraded. Maybe knowing the providence and knowing that it has been untouched warrants a premium.

Buy the book not the label.

Glad Harry got what he did but paying 2.7x for ow copy versus cr/ow is nuts. Paying 50% more then western penn and pac coast copy is nuts. maybe if you KNEW it was gonna come back as 9.4 on resubmit it would've made sense. other than that there's little economic justification, imho.

B&B sells for $165. A $300 diff just for page quality. I would think the $450 buyer must feel like a chump right now. If I was the buyer @ 450, the only way the Ebay copy would go for less is if someone outbid me, because you better believe I would have had a $450 bid on it. Buy both, flip out the lesser copy on C-link.

Did you have a good look at both books.

No, and neither did anybody else, since I doubt no one has had both of those books in front of them at the same time.

Maybe Burntboy's book was a stellar example. Maybe the book was undergraded. Maybe knowing the providence and knowing that it has been untouched warrants a premium.

Maybe the Ebay copy is better. Maybe Burnt's book was overgraded. Maybe the Ebay copy is also from an original owner collection. What is your point??. The only fact is the buyer of Burnt's book paid too much.

893blahblah.gif Easier said than done. What do you do when you can't see the book up close and personal? That is why I said if I was the buyer @ 450, I definitely would have been the buyer of the Ebay copy @ 450 or below.

Did you have a good look at both books.

No, and neither did anybody else, since I doubt no one has had both of those books in front of them at the same time.

Maybe Burntboy's book was a stellar example. Maybe the book was undergraded. Maybe knowing the providence and knowing that it has been untouched warrants a premium.

Maybe the Ebay copy is better. Maybe Burnt's book was overgraded. Maybe the Ebay copy is also from an original owner collection. What is your point??. The only fact is the buyer of Burnt's book paid too much.

893blahblah.gif Easier said than done. What do you do when you can't see the book up close and personal? That is why I said if I was the buyer @ 450, I definitely would have been the buyer of the Ebay copy @ 450 or below.

Gentlemen (Tom and Paper), one sale does not a reasonable comparison make.

perhaps the real story here is that the seller of the E-bay B&B 53 just didn't realize the books full value by selling in an auction without a reserve.

the Western Penn and Pac Coast copies were sold A YEAR AGO for approx $300 on average. in all likelihood the buyer of my book was presuming that my copy might be the last to surface for awhile, and another 9.2 copy coming up for auction a week or so after my book, wasn't about to happen. so he jumped on the price in order to secure the book.

i'm going to tell you that whoever he was, I'm betting he's very happy with the Quality of my book. these babies were graded TUFF. i would love to see the three books side by side and feel confident that i wouldn't be embarrassed in the least.

bottom line is if somebody wants something badly, that infrequently comes up for sale, they will pay what it takes to secure it. i feel for the seller of the ebay copy, but it seems that more and more "Cream to OW" is starting to turn off the HG customers...................all IMHO.................... smile.gif

but it seems that more and more "Cream to OW" is starting to turn off the HG customers...................all IMHO....................

As we say in the business field, it's a "non-starter" (i.e. I'm not interested).

Now I do agree that there can be some serious money made, by buying, very nice Cr/Ow books and resubmitting hoping for two potential upgrades (i.e. the grade and page quality). That's hitting the jackpot.

but it seems that more and more "Cream to OW" is starting to turn off the HG customers...................all IMHO....................

As we say in the business field, it's a "non-starter" (i.e. I'm not interested).

Now I do agree that there can be some serious money made, by buying, very nice Cr/Ow books and resubmitting hoping for two potential upgrades (i.e. the grade and page quality). That's hitting the jackpot.

It's a non-starter for me only if there is an alternative available. But I will acquire C-OW books if I doubt I'll be able to find an equally nice copy with better pages in the future.

I still haven't gotten my COA for my burntboy batman annual......anyone else gotten one?

I've received one out of three. I e-mailed Doug today asking about the other two. No word back yet.