• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

misattributed John Buscema piece in ComicLink June preview
1 1

10 posts in this topic

FYI, the ComicLink June preview has a cover prelim that is inocrrectly attributed to John Buscema (Marvel Treasury Edition #28 Superman vs Spiderman).  I own an actual Buscema prelim for this cover, compare images below.  This same piece sold on ebay years ago and was discussed here, I believe the consigner purchased it then and believes it to be a Buscema.  does anyone recognize the artist of the first piece?

not-buscema.thumb.jpg.100e1ba55d7720c255c0fc706e9b5d8b.jpg

buscema_spidey-supes3.thumb.jpg.8d2747c7f2bafe53bac71f044217368b.jpg

Some random thoughts:  Surprised someone would think that was John Buscema.  And doesn't look like any JB prelim I've ever seen of this.  It doesn't look like any Neal Adams, Marie Severin or Gil Kane prelims I've ever seen either.  And why would someone write "This is Spider-Man"?  I wonder if it's an editor's mock-up. 

4 hours ago, MIL0S said:

FYI, the ComicLink June preview has a cover prelim that is inocrrectly attributed to John Buscema (Marvel Treasury Edition #28 Superman vs Spiderman).  I own an actual Buscema prelim for this cover, compare images below.  This same piece sold on ebay years ago and was discussed here, I believe the consigner purchased it then and believes it to be a Buscema.  does anyone recognize the artist of the first piece?

not-buscema.thumb.jpg.100e1ba55d7720c255c0fc706e9b5d8b.jpg

buscema_spidey-supes3.thumb.jpg.8d2747c7f2bafe53bac71f044217368b.jpg

What year is this from?  Wonder if it's from that period of time when Ed Hannigan did just a ton of cover designs for Marvel.  I'm not saying I can positively identify it as Hannigan, but it certainly could be based on the drawing style and the timing.

2 hours ago, boomtown said:

This was published during the period that Frank Miller was doing a bunch of Marvel Covers. That Spider-Man pose just screams Miller DD. Just saying.

I was thinking the same thing!  VERY Frank Miller look, but I thought I was thinking crazy thoughts!

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:48 AM, MIL0S said:

this was published in 1981.  Funny, if it was listed as a Miller instead of Buscema I'm sure it would fetch a lot more, though I prefer the Buscema. 

Yeah. That's ironic.

I contacted ComicLink and all they did was change listing to say "attributed to John Buscema" and add a note that says "The provenance of this piece goes back to John Buscema, but we can not say with certainty that it is by his hand." I asked what the "provenance" consists of besides the consignors word but haven't heard back. I think the description is still misleading when the piece is obviously not by Buscema.