• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goodbye Masterworks?

24 posts in this topic

I just picked up the 40 Years of ASM on CD-ROM. The box of discs with 500 issues fit onto my bookcase in the same amount of space that 2 Masterworks would occupy... and the set cost less than the list price of ONE Masterworks edition.

So, I'm putting my Masterworks buying on hold... especially now that the FF set is coming out soon.

I'm also thinking of selling off my Masterworks books (except for the editions containing issues 1-10)

Does anyone else see these discs as replacements for the Masterworks series? Granted, reading on a computer screen isn't as nice as holding a book, but the price and storage space differential is exponential.

Thoughts?

I just picked up the 40 Years of ASM on CD-ROM. The box of discs with 500 issues fit onto my bookcase in the same amount of space that 2 Masterworks would occupy... and the set cost less than the list price of ONE Masterworks edition.

So, I'm putting my Masterworks buying on hold... especially now that the FF set is coming out soon.

I'm also thinking of selling off my Masterworks books (except for the editions containing issues 1-10)

Does anyone else see these discs as replacements for the Masterworks series? Granted, reading on a computer screen isn't as nice as holding a book, but the price and storage space differential is exponential.

Thoughts?

I find myself spending too much time on the computer as it is, so perhaps I might be one of those people who would be more inclined to read it from a book. On the flipside, I've taken masterworks with me on vacations, business trips, and I can see a major advantage to having them on a CD because I usually take my laptop with me everywhere I go, and that would definitely beat lugging those hardbound masterworks around with me.

I guess I'd still like to have the option of purchasing either, and hopefully Marvel see's the value of continuing to do so -- and it goes without saying that I'd really like to get my hands on a complete Captain America Comics hardbound collection if that ever happens.

While I do own several Masterworks volumes, I greatly prefer the Essentials series. IMO, the Masterworks re-coloring is very distracting. I think the bright, glossy pages pull you out of the silver age reading experience as well. For a lot less money, the Essentials give you more stories and a very acceptable rendition of the line art.

I love the ASM CD-ROM set for when I'm in front of the computer, and will buy the FF version as soon as it is available.

My favorite reprints for early Marvel silver age are still Marvel Tales and Collector's Items Classics. Sitting down with a nice copy is almost as enjoyable as reading the real thing.

My favorite reprints for early Marvel silver age are still Marvel Tales and Collector's Items Classics. Sitting down with a nice copy is almost as enjoyable as reading the real thing.

Agreed...the format of these was the best way to read early Marvel in my opinion...

Jim

The CDs don't include things like Annuals. But no, they won't supplant reprint books as the way to present old material, at least until computers are as cheap, portable, and reliable as books. If they did, then we would be looking at saying goodbye to monthly books, too, as electronic subscription is a big money saver. But I don't think reading on a screen will ever be any kind of threat to real print, at least for this type of publication.

Agreed...the format of these was the best way to read early Marvel in my opinion...

Jim

Here, here. Just got a batch of Collectors Item Classics. thumbsup2.gif

While I do own several Masterworks volumes, I greatly prefer the Essentials series. IMO, the Masterworks re-coloring is very distracting. I think the bright, glossy pages pull you out of the silver age reading experience as well. For a lot less money, the Essentials give you more stories and a very acceptable rendition of the line art.

I'm with you on this one. The Essential books are fantastic. I love reading all the old stories for very little money. It's great to read stories like Tomb of Dracula, Frankenstein Monster, Defenders, etc. without having to buy the old issues or reprint books.

I've scanned about 3000 of my own books over the years for archival purposes and I hardly ever look at them..and it took me months of work.

Maybe if the foldable, flexible hand-held ultra-slim LCD screen makes it to the consumer level...but otherwise I don't see it happen

I prefer the essential series aswell the punisher and Howard the duck ones were great. I also liked the Tomb of dracula one. I haven't seen a Ghost rider one But I hope they have it. The essential volumes are cheaper than the masterworks with more stories to read

When is the FF version due out??????

Now. I believe Tales of Wonder has it in stock. Best Buy (where I got the ASM $39.99) does not have the FF yet.

&headdisplay=[headdisplay]&subcatname=Marvel%20Comics&sku=MAR054407&cart=111920727440797893&page=1&category=Advance%20Orders&headerpic=4Z1.jpg]http://www.talesofwonder.com/subcat2Deta...aderpic=4Z1.jpg

I've scanned a number of my books and turned them into PDF's. I make a static webpage with the thumbnail image of each cover. Click on a cover and the PDF of that book opens in full view mode.

I wanted to make a chronological order of Marvel's early SuperHero stuff. But it has been very time consuming.

I start off with the first 2 issues of Fantastic Four and then Antman's first appearance in TTA #27 then as the months go by FF 3 and 4 with Hulk #1.

I wanted this format because I wasn't around when these were hitting the newstand.

This helps me get a feel for the flow of Marvel and you start to realize why certain early crossovers were important. Not to mention how Thor makes about 8 appearance before Spidey's second app.

I can get about 25 books on one CD and this will only improve once I get a DVD writer.

If I have a Marvel Tales or various reprints I scan them and then use a real cover.

I guess I do all of this because I'm a geek, but after staring at the screen for awhile, not to mention browsing these boards, I do relax and open a Masterworks.

I'll never want to replace the physical books. I only wish that first volume of JIM THOR contained the backup non-Thor stories.

Thoughts?

You young whippersnappers and yer newfangled funnybook CDs! Tain't no way I'm readin' no Silver Age comics on dangnabbed compooter.

Gimme Masterworks!

You young whippersnappers and yer newfangled funnybook CDs! Tain't no way I'm readin' no Silver Age comics on dangnabbed compooter.

Gimme Masterworks!

I agree. There's something about poring through a deluxe hardback edition of some of your favourite comic series, with the artwork immaculately reproduced. Can't get that from a computer screen.

Gimme Masterworks!

I agree. There's something about poring through a deluxe hardback edition of some of your favourite comic series, with the artwork immaculately reproduced. Can't get that from a computer screen.

I can understand wanting to archive them, I just know I'd never sit at the computer and read comics. I'd rather buy a Masterworks, or better yet, a stack of low grade readers or the squarebounds mentioned above (Marvel Tales, Marvel Collectors Item Classics, etc), and sit on the couch on a Sunday afternoon and read them, complete with the old cheesy ads, Stans Bullpen hyperbole, and of course, the letters sections. Do the CDs have that? confused-smiley-013.gif

I kind of down the middle on this.I recently picked up the Marvel Collectors edition volume 1 with the first ten issues of each of the key characters and while it was interesting,I wsn't thrilled.

I also picked up DVDs of Origin and The Ultimates that show the artwork with actors speaking and some kool special effects sound.

As an extra ,Hulk 181 and Avengers 1 were done in the same process and were pretty good.

Kinda like an updated version of the 1966 Marvel cartoons. At about half the price of a TPB,I'll buy more.

BTW-Samuel Jackson does the voice overs for Nick Fury.

I enjoy both the Essentials and the Masterpieces/Archives series.