• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TMNT No. 1, First Print

11 posts in this topic

I think this book is in pretty nice shape but it does have some typical flaws. Those finger smudges are very common because of the black cover; it's best to wear latex gloves when handling books like this one. And because of the value, this may be a decent candidate for pressing---that would certainly fix the corner bend and likely bump the grade a notch or two. I hope this helps, and Happy Memorial Day!   :wishluck:

I agree that it should be slabbed and it is a mid grade, 6.0ish, book. However, I don't like the browning on the spine. Also, it appears the page quality is darker near the top and whitens up near the bottom half. How was it stored ? Was it bagged and boarded, if so, was it sealed at the top ? 

Thanks, everyone!  I really appreciate the feedback.  I bought it in the late 80's boarded and bagged with the flap taped, which is how it stayed for the last 30 or so years, until I opened it yesterday to move it to a new bag with a new board.  I recently reacquired what remains of my comic collection from childhood and am trying to decide how best to go about preservation and what makes sense from the standpoint of the value of the books.  The TMNT No. 1 is far and away the most valuable.  The other stuff not so much, such as TMNT No. 2 (first print), first print Dark Knights, DD #158, etc.

I think I may send in the TMNT Nos. 1 and 2 for grading (maybe pressing).

Happy Memorial Day!

After pressing I think this is a VF to 8.5 - wouldnt be surprised if it got a 9.0

Looks nicer than this imho (...again, after pressing etc) https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/a/121734-13658.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515#

Edited by ivegotneatstuff

13 minutes ago, ivegotneatstuff said:

After pressing I think this is a VF to 8.5

7.5 after a press is a more realistic expectation. A press will help the whole in general, maybe from a 6.0/6.5 to the 7.0/7.5 territory, but that bottom right bc flaked crease is not going to be helped and IMO keep it out of 8.0 or better consideration.  It's a beauty, nonetheless, and a 7.5 is still an awesome grade for this rarity if the presser is skillful enough to do it proud.

I honestly can't see a press helping the grade more than .5, most of the flaws are color breaking and that is not going to be fixed by pressing. Myself I would be far too afraid to pop a staple on a book like this to bother pressing for that .5 you might get, if it pops your down a grade.

Have a pic of the inner back and front cover/page, could get a better idea on the page quality form that as well.

Here are a few more pics.  The set I originally posted were taken in a room where the lighting is a little weird and has a yellowish tinge.  I see in those pics where the area near some of the spine appears yellow/brown.  I checked the book again and could swear I don't see it in different light, but maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.  One note about the interior--it's a first print, so the paper used is cheap, common newsprint.

Thanks again for all of the input!  This is exactly what I needed!

IMG_0508.jpeg

IMG_0509.jpeg

IMG_0510.jpeg

IMG_0511.jpeg