• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mylites 2 and Toploaders
3 3

26 posts in this topic

Hello, all!

I'm starting to put together a group of comics that I would like to have in toploaders. I have the comics currently stored inside Standard Mylites 2 with Standard Full Backs. They are mostly Bronze and Modern Age comics. My question is, what size toploader would I need to be able to fit this comic and board combo in? If I have to remove the board from the bag, and just slide the comic with the Mylite in the toploader, that's fine by me. Thanks for any and all help. 

Edited by Rhig

15 hours ago, Rhig said:

Hello, all!

I'm starting to put together a group of comics that I would like to have in toploaders. I have the comics currently stored inside Standard Mylites 2 with Standard Full Backs. They are mostly Bronze and Modern Age comics. My question is, what size toploader would I need to be able to fit this comic and board combo in? If I have to remove the board from the bag, and just slide the comic with the Mylite in the toploader, that's fine by me. Thanks for any and all help. 

I would try Magazine size top loaders they are bigger than modern top loaders you shouldn't have a problem. Hope this helps. 

6 hours ago, Eddie Rodriguez said:

I would try Magazine size top loaders they are bigger than modern top loaders you shouldn't have a problem. Hope this helps. 

I was thinking that size myself, but I thought that they might be a bit too large. As I said a great portion of my comics are Copper, Bronze and Modern. I was thinking perhaps Silver Age toploaders, but wasn't sure which brands are good for what I'm looking to do. Thank you a lot for the suggestion, Eddie. 

Moderns and CA comics in standard 725M2 bag fit perfectly into Golden TL size as well. Are you putting BAs in standard too? 

If you step up to 775M2s than as Eddie alluded to you Mag TLs would be your only option. Either way whatever TL or brand you look at just make sure the inner dimensions of the TL are slightly more i.e. 725M2's are 7 1/4" , a typical Golden TL would accommodate 7 11/16"

Once last consideration is whether or not you want to use HBs or FBs since depending on the gauge of the TL, thickness of the comics ,etc. you would not want to smoosh a comic in there. Most likely not an issue with mounting CA or Modern comics, but definitely applicable for early BA and especially DCs.

49 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I use Magazine toploaders for all my books.

IMG_20170904_141045.thumb.JPG.2e028b318966f472b2d4f0a97f3b48d2.JPG

Cool thing about Mag TLs is you are future proofing your entire collection. Everything will line up perfectly and you can go bigger on the boards too with piece of mind. 

1 hour ago, DC|Marvel said:

Moderns and CA comics in standard 725M2 bag fit perfectly into Golden TL size as well. Are you putting BAs in standard too? 

If you step up to 775M2s than as Eddie alluded to you Mag TLs would be your only option. Either way whatever TL or brand you look at just make sure the inner dimensions of the TL are slightly more i.e. 725M2's are 7 1/4" , a typical Golden TL would accommodate 7 11/16"

Once last consideration is whether or not you want to use HBs or FBs since depending on the gauge of the TL, thickness of the comics ,etc. you would not want to smoosh a comic in there. Most likely not an issue with mounting CA or Modern comics, but definitely applicable for early BA and especially DCs.

This has definitely answered everything I was thinking of. I recently bought 725M2's and 700FB's so I could start to re-bag and board everything I have in my collection. I just got tired of the regular bag and boards that you can basically get for free at your local comic shop. They just look awful after a while, and since I've invested a lot of time and $$ into this, I think the collection deserves and upgrade so to speak.

I saw a video where a guy took the 725M2's and then just placed the comic inside a TL, sans the 700FB. That actually looked pretty good to me, but I never heard what TL size he was using. I must admit seeing the back of the comic was quite nice, but I would prefer placing both the 725M2's and the 700FB's in a TL. The VERY few Silver Age comics that I own, I figure I can just go up one size from the  725M2's and 700FB's for the re-bagging of them. 95% of the comics I own are from 1970-2018, and your suggestion of using the Golden TL for the vast majority of my collection seems to be the way to go. I'm glad that I didn't buy any of the Silver Age TL's, as it seems to me that it would have been a waste of money. 

I'm brand new to this CGC community, and I have to thank everyone for ALL the help that was provided so quickly and intelligently. I hope I can return the favor to anyone needing help!

I think your needs would be met by using the golden age sized top loaders over the magazine sized.

The golden age ones fit inside a magazine box.

Here is a pic of some of my Planet Comics in golden age top loaders in my spinner rack :cloud9:

Planet Spinner'.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

38 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I think your needs would be met by using the golden age sized top loaders over the magazine sized.

Here is a pic of some of my Planet Comics in golden age top loaders in my spinner rack :cloud9:

Planet Spinner'.jpg

@ Pontoon, @oakman29

I took the advice of that "Visual Guide to Mylar sizes" thread and went the combo route (Mylite2 + Archive Combo).  This post has now got me thinking, is there any added benefit to potentially sliding the combo into a top loader (ie Mylife2 + Archive + Top loader)?  Or does that strike you as overkill?  The extra rigidity provided by the top loader certainly seems ideal but i'm not sure if all of that, plus a full back board would get squished in a top loader.

2 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

@ Pontoon, @oakman29

I took the advice of that "Visual Guide to Mylar sizes" thread and went the combo route (Mylite2 + Archive Combo).  This post has now got me thinking, is there any added benefit to potentially sliding the combo into a top loader (ie Mylife2 + Archive + Top loader)?  Or does that strike you as overkill?  The extra rigidity provided by the top loader certainly seems ideal but i'm not sure if all of that, plus a full back board would get squished in a top loader.

depends what you are trying to do.

I put books into top loaders when I am displaying them in a way that could possibly get damaged.

The picture I posted is an example: I put my Planets into top loaders so that I could put them into my spinner rack to prevent them from getting damaged. I also use top loaders to display comics that I put flat on the table at comic shows I attend as a vendor. This helps preserve the books from people that place items on the books, lean on the books, etc.

011_zps3a24e63f.jpg

if the books are just going to sit in your boxes top loaders are over kill.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

depends what you are trying to do.

I put books into top loaders when I am displaying them in a way that could possibly get damaged.

The picture I posted is an example: I put my Planets into top loaders so that I could put them into my spinner rack to prevent them from getting damaged. I also use top loaders to display comics that I put flat on the table at comic shows I attend as a vendor. This helps preserve the books from people that place items on the books, lean on the books, etc.

011_zps3a24e63f.jpg

if the books are just going to sit in your boxes top loaders are over kill.

The books are in a bookshelf/cabinet interspersed with my regularly bagged/boarded books (so really no different than if they were in a box, the bookshelf just presents nicer).  However, the archived mylar bags are wider than a regular bag so it's not flush with the rest of the books.  ie, the spine of the book isn't flush with the other books on the shelf.  My concern is that the pressure of the surrounding books might "press" everything but the spine.  I suppose if that were a serious concern, it would mean that i've packed too many books on the shelf.  But I guess I thought the toploader would provide additional rigidity/protection so that the same amount of pressure is applied to every square inch of the book instead of more applied to one half versus the other.  (not sure if that description makes sense.)

21 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

The books are in a bookshelf/cabinet interspersed with my regularly bagged/boarded books (so really no different than if they were in a box, the bookshelf just presents nicer).  However, the archived mylar bags are wider than a regular bag so it's not flush with the rest of the books.  ie, the spine of the book isn't flush with the other books on the shelf.  My concern is that the pressure of the surrounding books might "press" everything but the spine.  I suppose if that were a serious concern, it would mean that i've packed too many books on the shelf.  But I guess I thought the toploader would provide additional rigidity/protection so that the same amount of pressure is applied to every square inch of the book instead of more applied to one half versus the other.  (not sure if that description makes sense.)

well if the cost is of no real concern then the top loaders add some structure and will keep the books in great shape on your shelf.

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

@ Pontoon, @oakman29

That's the formula I use. Mylar , full back , and magazine top loader. 

4 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

Planet Spinner'.jpg

That is impressive. 

In light of this thread, there is one  particular configuration I have not tried that has made me very curious now.

Comic in M2 bag in top loader with closure clip. When you seal off that top/fourth side it truly has a slab like effect making the TL extremely rigid and stiff. Would be just interested to see how this feels, viewing the back cover of the comic etc. I will do this with pics and post it in my journal. I recently was clearing out storage and completely forgot about a near full run of New Mutants raw I had stashed away so looking to come up with a reasonable formula from a cost basis perspective. 

Another configuration I wanted to try was two full back boards with M2 bag and comic as well. Cheers to OP and everyone and thanks for the pics.