• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dr. Seuss sketch on ComicLink

14 posts in this topic

The ComicLink summer feature preview includes a Dr. Suess sketch with a certificate of authenticity from Reel Legends. is that a reputable company?  I am no Dr. Suess expert and am not saying this piece is not authentic but this immediately made me of all of the forged sketches flooding ebay in recent years (Gallery on Baum, "NYC street fair" finds, bad Wattersons, Bob Kanes, etc. etc.) 

I just did a quick Google search for them, and the only thing coming up as a legit company under that name is for Fishing equipment and clothing.

I'd be suspicious of any "company" with no web presence at all at this point and time. Even if it's just s screen name used on comic boards or facebook profile for a comic geek. Plus there have been plenty of "memorabilia" sellers over the years. Probably more than comic art forgers at this point. Under names like "Reel Memories" and like that, peddling fake autographs on a variety of photos, sprts equipment and like that. I bet it comes with a certificate of authenticity. That way it MUST be real! :nyah:

...and no, I didn't look it up to see what it looks like. Just a general thought about the name.

Edited by ESeffinga

9 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Looks legit :eyeroll: The "company" is located in a multifamily house.

ha, good catch, I didn't check the address.  The piece looks dubious and it surprised me that ComicLink is offering it since they sell big buck legit pieces. 

I noticed an update on the Comiclink listing for the "Dr. Seuss" sketch.  They have added this disclaimer: "COA from Reel Legends included. COMICLINK DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE AUTHENTICITY OF THIS PIECE. BID AT YOUR OWN RISK. NO RETURNS WILL BE ACCEPTED."  

This is very disappointing and lame that they are still offering this piece with a disclaimer that basically screams fake. I expect to wade through garbage like this on ebay but not on a reputable site that sells six figure pieces.  As always caveat emptor... 

Also, in their last auction ComicLink sold a preliminary cover (Marvel Treasury #28) that was CLEARLY not by John Buscema with an erroneous description. Initially the listing description said the piece was by Buscema and after I contacted them and provided images for comparison for an actual Buscema prelim for that very issue the best they could do was change the description to say "attributed to John Buscema" which was ridiculous to anyone familiar with Buscema's work.  (https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/433816-misattributed-john-buscema-piece-in-comiclink-june-preview/?tab=comments#comment-10258369)

On 8/1/2018 at 11:19 AM, MIL0S said:

I noticed an update on the Comiclink listing for the "Dr. Seuss" sketch.  They have added this disclaimer: "COA from Reel Legends included. COMICLINK DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE AUTHENTICITY OF THIS PIECE. BID AT YOUR OWN RISK. NO RETURNS WILL BE ACCEPTED."  

Really??? What kind of a legimate auction house does this? Why wouldn't they pull it? Or, better yet, offer it at all?

3 hours ago, Oddball said:

Well, we can always contact them at their business yahoo email address.

Does this mean that ComicLink will not guarantee any art they auction or just ones with that disclaimer? 

This should have never been accepted. I've enjoyed dealing with the guys at ComicLink and using their services but its puzzling why they would take this in. And for what? $510 final with $51 to them.

RAD8DCF32018517_131541.jpg

The COA is essentially worthless.

Whats the general policy for other auction houses (Heritage) Do they really guarantee authenticity? 

They post tons of sketches (likely ripped from sketchbooks) that could be called into question (not that I am).  If I bought a Mazzucchelli Batman loose sketch at auction for $500, will the house reimburse me when Spencer Beck (Mazz's agent) confirms that it's a fake?