• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lake Effect Comic book Show - Cleveland, Sunday, 24 June 2018
2 2

48 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, bc said:

I think that was the dealer who had the entire center of the first room if you came in from the front by the lobby. They had some great stuff as well!

-bc

Could have been the gentlemen who used to own Northcoast Nostalgia. Can't remember his name, but he is know nationally for his collection.

1 hour ago, bc said:

I think that was the dealer who had the entire center of the first room if you came in from the front by the lobby. They had some great stuff as well!

-bc

Was it Greg?  I think he had the whole right side of a room but I don’t think Greg gets a lot of old book.  I bought a few from John Haines, a dozen from our own Rick but ended up spending a bulk of my fillers with a collector set up in the back.  

Ive never seen so much activity for old Golden Age books then at this Con.  It almost seemed like everyone with Golden Age horror books was making deals for them within a hour of the opening.  Hot, hot hot!

6 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Was it Greg?  I think he had the whole right side of a room but I don’t think Greg gets a lot of old book.  I bought a few from John Haines, a dozen from our own Rick but ended up spending a bulk of my fillers with a collector set up in the back.  

Ive never seen so much activity for old Golden Age books then at this Con.  It almost seemed like everyone with Golden Age horror books was making deals for them within a hour of the opening.  Hot, hot hot!

I posted my two meager books in the CG This week in your collection thread  -what ya get man?

-bc

Very nice haul man! That ToS 27 is tough in decent grade and yours looks pretty nice!

So you getting into the GA now? Careful, that's a very slippery slope!

-bc

I hope a wonderful show and time. Talked to a lot of dealers I know. Met a lot more. @TerrysComics it was awesome meeting you and talking with you. And thank you for my Tip Top (favorite purchase) :banana:

I got some super awesome books from many great dealers. And want everyone to know what a great show John put together.  Below are pics of my purchases. Some of the books are upgrades. Some are just awesome covers. Couple new books. 

20180624_221611.jpg

20180624_221642.jpg

20180624_221709.jpg

20180624_221734.jpg

20180624_221756.jpg

20180624_221811.jpg

20180624_221823.jpg

16 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Nice meeting you - get anything good.

Good meeting you too!  It's nice to be able to chat in person after conversing online.  As soon as I got in I went to @TerrysComics.  I talked to him the night before and he said he brought a few Timely books with him.  I got a sweet Marvel Mystery 30 from him (I'm going to post it in CG), thanks again Terry!  It looked like you walked away with some nice stuff!

I was blown away with this show.  John never fails to impress.  Most every dealer brought the heat in my opinion.  This a definite must go show for that old school, small show feel.  So many great books and it was one heck of a fun time hanging out!

9 hours ago, wolverine180 said:

I hope a wonderful show and time. Talked to a lot of dealers I know. Met a lot more. @TerrysComics it was awesome meeting you and talking with you. And thank you for my Tip Top (favorite purchase) :banana:

I got some super awesome books from many great dealers. And want everyone to know what a great show John put together.  Below are pics of my purchases. Some of the books are upgrades. Some are just awesome covers. Couple new books. 

20180624_221611.jpg

20180624_221642.jpg

20180624_221709.jpg

20180624_221734.jpg

20180624_221756.jpg

20180624_221811.jpg

20180624_221823.jpg

Grabbed the IH 181 from Patrick i see. He and I were so close on price but I just couldn't pull the trigger - nice copy

10 hours ago, bc said:

Very nice haul man! That ToS 27 is tough in decent grade and yours looks pretty nice!

-bc

I don't know - I feel out of my league when it comes to those older Silver-Age / Golden Age books.  I got caught up in the rush so I guess now is as good time as any to learn a bit about that end of the shark tank.

9 hours ago, wolverine180 said:

A lot of those look really high grade. Especially that B&B Titans!

8 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Grabbed the IH 181 from Patrick i see. He and I were so close on price but I just couldn't pull the trigger - nice copy

You didnt happen to be the gentlemen that was beside me waiting to look at this as I was trying to make up my mind were you? I looked at this and the 180 and passed. Came back like 10 minutes later and pulled the trigger

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

A lot of those look really high grade. Especially that B&B Titans!

I was super excited about the b&b. It is nice. Very minimum wear on spine. I have been searching for a nice copy of this for a while, never seem to find anything over a fn 6.0ish unless you pay the prices on feebay. 

1 minute ago, wolverine180 said:

You didnt happen to be the gentlemen that was beside me waiting to look at this as I was trying to make up my mind were you? I looked at this and the 180 and passed. Came back like 10 minutes later and pulled the trigger

Yep - that was me.  Now that I look at similar copies in slabs I should have just pulled the trigger and grabbed it at full asking price.  Nice grab!

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Yep - that was me.  Now that I look at similar copies in slabs I should have just pulled the trigger and grabbed it at full asking price.  Nice grab!

Thank you. At least I have a face to match to you now :bigsmile: I am sure we will see each other at more conventions. As for the book. I was kicking myself immediately on initially passing. I figured that you were going to scoop up.  On a side note. I must complement you, you let me conduct my inspection of book and discuss with Patrick and waited patiently for your turn. Thank you for that. Its good to see others have nice table edicate. 

41 minutes ago, wolverine180 said:

Thank you. At least I have a face to match to you now :bigsmile: I am sure we will see each other at more conventions. As for the book. I was kicking myself immediately on initially passing. I figured that you were going to scoop up.  On a side note. I must complement you, you let me conduct my inspection of book and discuss with Patrick and waited patiently for your turn. Thank you for that. Its good to see others have nice table edicate. 

Wow, he usually just snatches the book out of my hand and offers 50% asking.

:jokealert:

12 hours ago, bc said:

-bc

Looking over your haul from the Con I do have to wonder how you priced some of those books.  The Marvel Mystery didn't have a similar copy sold in a few years so you can pretty much throw out all previous data.  I'm use to dealing with books with 20 - 50 copies sold over the last 12 months.