• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pushing that bagged and boarded comic back into the box

28 posts in this topic

does it make anyone else fret, worry and cringe? I usually take the book (regular book) spacer I have in back of comic box and make a bigger slot for comic book and place it in then put regular book spacer in back. or something like that.

anybody else know what I'm trying to say because I feel I'm failing at it?

Edited by NoMan

Nah, makes sense. I have my boxes overstuffed so squeezing any book back in can and is a pain. A buddy showed me his trick. Same as you, it involves taking stuff out. Step 1, take the front books out. Step 2, put the book back in its place. Step 3, put the short box vertically; the books will compress themselves leaving a larger slot to replace the front books you took out. Works quite well actually.

Edited by Scrooge

15 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Welcome to the convention world.  Stuffing, jamming, thumbing,  bending.  And people wonder why I'm frowning at customers.

I am not sure why more people don't respect something that is not theirs.  

The best responses are bending it,  looking at the price sticker and wondering why I'm grabbing it out of their hands.  

In some cases I've had to ask the person if they were having a bad day since their frustrations were clearly being taken out on a defensive comic book.

I had a lady pick her toddler out of the baby carriage, put the baby on the table on top of my comics that were laid flat on display and she reached into a pack and pulled out a diaper. YES she was going to change her babies diaper right there on my comics! Really?!?

2 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I had a lady pick her toddler out of the baby carriage, put the baby on the table on top of my comics that were laid flat on display and she reached into a pack and pulled out a diaper. YES she was going to change her babies diaper right there on my comics! Really?!?

A new top loader??

If I am anywhere near a concession stand I get the "lunch counter" crowd.  Any open space on a table turns into a dining area.

For others it turns into "their" work area.  Some ask,  some do not.  When confronted I usually get that they were getting ready to look in my boxes.  No you weren't.

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

The load they were going to leave wasn't plastic

technically, a bottom loader, no?

5 hours ago, NoMan said:

does it make anyone else fret, worry and cringe? I usually take the book (regular book) spacer I have in back of comic box and make a bigger slot for comic book and place it in then put regular book spacer in back. or something like that.

anybody else know what I'm trying to say because I feel I'm failing at it?

Yes and here's my solution which helps if you have long boxes.  Removing and reinserting is one of the main ways the comic and or the comics in front/behind of the one you're inserting mysteriously acquire additional spine bends or blunted corners.

Rule #1: always maintain at least a 3-finger (index, middle, & ring or about 1.5-2") width gap in your longboxes.  Loose enough to easily insert new comics but full enough that the comics won't sag when at rest.

Rule #2: always use a flat spacer or cardboard at the very front and back of the long box to prevent the uneven wall of the long boxes from adding new spine bends to the very first or last comics.

Rule #3: The shoehorn approach. If you failed to obey rule #1 then take a an empty polybag (mylar will have too much friction) with a backboard in side and use it basically as a comic-shoehorn.  When inserting the comic into a packed longbox, first  insert the polybagged board into the slot you wish to insert the comic.  Then slide the bagged boarded comic into the space in front of the polybagged board comic-shoehorn. 

Rule #4: always buy more boxes when you reach 50% capacity of your last long box you cheapskate.

11 minutes ago, justafan said:

Yes and here's my solution which helps if you have long boxes.  Removing and reinserting is one of the main ways the comic and or the comics in front/behind of the one you're inserting mysteriously acquire additional spine bends or blunted corners.

Rule #1: always maintain at least a 3-finger (index, middle, & ring or about 1.5-2") width gap in your longboxes.  Loose enough to easily insert new comics but full enough that the comics won't sag when at rest.

Rule #2: always use a flat spacer or cardboard at the very front and back of the long box to prevent the uneven wall of the long boxes from adding new spine bends to the very first or last comics.

Rule #3: The shoehorn approach. If you failed to obey rule #1 then take a an empty polybag (mylar will have too much friction) with a backboard in side and use it basically as a comic-shoehorn.  When inserting the comic into a packed longbox, first  insert the polybagged board into the slot you wish to insert the comic.  Then slide the bagged boarded comic into the space in front of the polybagged board comic-shoehorn. 

Rule #4: always buy more boxes when you reach 50% capacity of your last long box you cheapskate.

:roflmao: I've been called worse. Thanks, tho.

But now I've got all kinda space in the new box. Fill it up w/regular books I guess

5 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

These are the walking dead.  people completely oblivious to others or the world around them.  

I'm very OCD, and worrying about bending or creasing my books is bad enough.

This is on an entirely different level. :facepalm:

Nightmare fuel.

I'd have put a comic box on the baby. See how she likes it.

49 minutes ago, kav said:

These are the walking dead.  people completely oblivious to others or the world around them.  

Hrmmm... my name is Karl. It is time for some extremely accurate headshots! YEAH!

35 minutes ago, wombat said:

The first time I cringe is when I know its time for a new box. 

This is also why I absolutely hate cons where the boxes are so packed it's hard to pull a book out, let alone put it back in. 

why cringe at new box time? cause now you have the problem of too much space as opposed to too little space?

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

why cringe at new box time? cause now you have the problem of too much space as opposed to too little space?

I mean I cringe putting the comic in and it's too tight.