• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need info

19 posts in this topic

I have a number of questions for you:  1) Are you providing clear, accurate photos of the books with the primary focus being on the front and back cover?  2)  Are you grading the books yourself or are they certified?  3) Are you providing a written description of the flaws associated with each book, including paper quality?  4) Are you pricing the books based on the grade and basing the price on the results from past auctions?  5)  Do you feel that your grading is accurate, and do you often grade comics or books just for the fun of it?  6)  Are you listing the books in the proper category and putting key words in the title to attract more buyers? Thanks for any feedback---I hope this gives you some ideas...  (thumbsu

based on the information provided and the amount of effort it looks like you're willing to put into solving this situation, I'd say you should lower the price dramatically.

i have never graded comic books before, but i have read how to, and my comic books are immaculate, i have looked at all of them, the pages are perfect, no marks, no scratches, no damages at all and the covers are perfect condition... the books are in absolutely mint condition, and yes the photos are clear, and correct category? their all dc comics. and i listed them with everything there is to know about them and still nothing

2 minutes ago, raw22393 said:

and little effort? it was a basic question, and the prices aint that high

Well I would say that when you're asking the question you asked, anyone trying to help would need to know some basics about what you're actually trying to do to actually provide you with any help beyond 'lower your prices'.  These issues should be fairly easy to intuit, but yet you've for some reason chosen to not even provide the most obvious information. 

But for the purpose of this exercise and assuming you are possibly some type of youth with zero business and limited shopping experience hoping to learn, I will pose some questions to you for which the answer will probably lead to more thoughtful and specific responses for your benefit.

1.  How/where are you trying to sell?  Ebay? your own website?  A store?  A flea market? Craigslist?

2.  What is your aim in selling? Are you in a business? Trying to start a business?  Found some books in the basement?  Just want to get rid of books and get some cash quickly, trying to maximize profit?

3.  How are you deciding your pricing?  You claim they 'aint that high', but that's extremely subjective.

You're asking for FREE HELP on how to MAKE MONEY, I'd say make it as easy for people to help as possible, by thinking through what info might be helpful to those trying to help you.  Or keep doing it your way, which seems to be working.

Or if you just want vague ideas to answer your vague question - Sell them on ebay.  sell them on Craigslist.  have a yard sale and sell them.  Whatever price you're selling at, cut it by 60%.

Was that more helpful?

12 minutes ago, raw22393 said:

and little effort? it was a basic question, and the prices aint that high

Hello raw. If you post a link to where they are being sold (ebay?) we'll be able to advise you better. Without knowing what you are selling, where and for what prices, it's difficult to offer any advice. Cut and paste a link to your next post if you can. Good luck :wishluck:

1 hour ago, raw22393 said:

i have never graded comic books before, but i have read how to, and my comic books are immaculate, i have looked at all of them, the pages are perfect, no marks, no scratches, no damages at all and the covers are perfect condition... the books are in absolutely mint condition, and yes the photos are clear, and correct category? their all dc comics. and i listed them with everything there is to know about them and still nothing

There is one other factor, but it's a pretty significant one---how common are these books? It's very difficult to sell something that everyone already has a nice copy of...

2 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:
1 hour ago, raw22393 said:

There is one other factor, but it's a pretty significant one---how common are these books? It's very difficult to sell something that everyone already has a nice copy of...

also mentioned in there is 'listing them with everything there is to know about them'.  Sometimes people are turned off by a wall of text.

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Hello raw. If you post a link to where they are being sold (ebay?) we'll be able to advise you better. Without knowing what you are selling, where and for what prices, it's difficult to offer any advice. Cut and paste a link to your next post if you can. Good luck :wishluck:

19 comics for sale, blackest night black lantern corps vol 1 and 2 ,green lantern rise of the third army,green lantern new guardians beyond hope,green lantern new guardians the ring bearer, green lantern war of the green lanterns ,green lantern brightest day, green lantern new guardians love and death, blackest night, batman the court of owls vol 1 and 2, batman the dark knight cycle of violence, batman the dark knight knight terrors ,the joker death of the family, batman eternal ,the black mirror, batman hush, batman earth one, the new 52 futures end

im selling them

8 minutes ago, raw22393 said:
1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

19 comics for sale, blackest night black lantern corps vol 1 and 2 ,green lantern rise of the third army,green lantern new guardians beyond hope,green lantern new guardians the ring bearer, green lantern war of the green lanterns ,green lantern brightest day, green lantern new guardians love and death, blackest night, batman the court of owls vol 1 and 2, batman the dark knight cycle of violence, batman the dark knight knight terrors ,the joker death of the family, batman eternal ,the black mirror, batman hush, batman earth one, the new 52 futures end

im selling them

I can't imagine why you're having so much trouble selling.  You clearly have a lot of business savvy, pay attention to detail, can answer simple questions and follow directions, while cleverly honoring the requests of those with whom you transact with.  My guess is that you also have great math and accounting skills.  Frankly I'm stumped.

15 minutes ago, raw22393 said:

im selling them

Ok, that's a start. I looked some of these up on ebay and they're fairly freely available, but do sell. To work out why yours aren't selling, I'd need to see an example of one of your listings. A link, or an eBay number would help. Try that, and I promise I'll give an honest view.  Selling stuff that isnt rare on ebay can be hard even for experienced sellers. Give me something to look at raw :)

18 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Ok, that's a start. I looked some of these up on ebay and they're fairly freely available, but do sell. To work out why yours aren't selling, I'd need to see an example of one of your listings. A link, or an eBay number would help. Try that, and I promise I'll give an honest view.  Selling stuff that isnt rare on ebay can be hard even for experienced sellers. Give me something to look at raw :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/143418832498112/?ref=search

then search group for raw wood

which will then show my post

Edited by raw22393

23 minutes ago, raw22393 said:
19 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

ball is in your court  @Get Marwood & I Marwood, how far are you willing to go to help an internet stranger who has no interest in making it easy for you (I do mean this as a playful dig, you seem like a good guy who wants to help) to help? 

Will you join some random UK facebook comic group?  Will you run a search for 'raw wood'? 

He could have mentioned he was in the UK initially but didn't.

He could have mentioned he was selling on Facebook but didn't, and that you'd have to join a group.

He could have taken maybe two or three screen shots and posted them here (instead of making you join his group) but didn't, even though he thinks he's savvy enough to attempt to sell tpb's/comics on the internet AND find this forum.

He could have mentioned how he does pricing or selling methodologies to get some advice but didn't.

I feel like I'm in the world's nerdiest good cop/bad cop scenario. 

*Is there any chance he's just trying to get random comic fans to join the group?

Edited by revat

34 minutes ago, raw22393 said:

Drat. I'm not on facebonk so I can't see your stuff raw, sorry. Maybe someone who is will see this post and chip in. Don't be disheartened if they don't, as the place is like a graveyard lately and I could post 10 Amazing Fantasy 15's on the deck of the Titanic and no one would bat an eyelid.

Maybe look your books up on ebay and see how copies that have sold have been listed / priced there?

Good luck, and hope you get a bite soon :wishluck:

20 minutes ago, revat said:

Marwood, how far are you willing to go to help an internet stranger who has no interest in making it easy for you (I do mean this as a playful dig, you seem like a good guy who wants to help) to help? 

See above! :)

14 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:
56 minutes ago, raw22393 said:

Drat. I'm not on facebonk so I can't see your stuff raw, sorry. Maybe someone who is will see this post and chip in. Don't be disheartened if they don't, as the place is like a graveyard lately and I could post 10 Amazing Fantasy 15's on the deck of the Titanic and no one would bat an eyelid.

Maybe look your books up on ebay and see how copies that have sold have been listed / priced there?

Good luck, and hope you get a bite soon :wishluck:

35 minutes ago, revat said:

Marwood, how far are you willing to go to help an internet stranger who has no interest in making it easy for you (I do mean this as a playful dig, you seem like a good guy who wants to help) to help? 

See above! :)

You're a good man Charlie Brown.

I'll take off my condescending bad cop hat for a minute and provide some actual advice:

1.  A UK facebook group is relatively limited in terms of scope, and in general a facebook group would consist of people who are pretty into comics, and skew somewhat younger (40 and under).  Most people who are into comics in that age range will have a lot of those Batman/DC books already, as they are fairly common.  Also, the UK is a smaller market in general compared to North America, or the US specifically.  BUT you do (for now) have decent access to Europe.  Maybe join some kind of Euro FB group if you insist on using FB ( don't know how Brexit will affect shipping or customs)?

2.  Consider selling on instagram too, if you're doing social media sales.

3.  Marwoods idea of using ebay sales as a price guide is good, very good.  But also consider that most of those sales happen in the US.

4.  In the event you're trying to sell all of them in one lot or bigger lots (we don't know because you haven't told us), know that most likely only a dealer would buy the whole lot (or big lots), and those dealers would expect to get at least 50% profit, or probably more, which means you'd have to sell for less than 50% of the expected sales price of any individual book.

5.  Try to think through the economics of stuff when evaluating financial data, fees, translation, shipping, insurance, custom fees

Condescending hat back on:

1.  Ask better questions, to help those who might help you

2.  Do what you can to respect the time of people who might help you (and everyone, really).

3.  Take a basic business class, the fact that you didn't think it relevant to mention earlier you were UK and selling on FB means there's a lot you don't get.

4.  Just take some screenshots of your FB ads and post them here.  Ideally that would have been the first thing you did.

I think the reason they are not selling is that they are very common. For example: of the entire list you posted the only ones I want I already have. I suspect many others also already have them.