• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Vancouver October 12-14, 2018
1 1

117 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

In YVR area:

1. Golden Age Collectables

2. Big Pete's Toys

3. Taz Comics

4. Imp Hobbies but mostly model kits

5. Hourglass Comics w/ some gaming

6. Chris Wise's warehouse but mainly sportscards, rookie cards

7. Comic Scene: small, tight shop way out in suburbs

8. The Comicshop

9. Comic store in Delta but never been there

10. Comic Land should have closed 18 months ago. Not open during daytime.

Comic/gaming card store on Victoria Drive closed after 18 months. Central City Comix closed a couple of months ago for 'personal reasons' after 15 years in suburbs.

11. Four Aces Comics recently changes hands after over 22 years in business. Visited once as way out in suburbs.

12. 8th Dimension Comics. Changed ownership last year. Visited once since.

How many of them have decent back issue selections?

11 hours ago, kimik said:

How many of them have decent back issue selections?

Perhaps 7 shops, if that is defined as still having overstock from 25-30 years ago boom times. Visited my 3rd LCS. No FEV flyers there yet either.

#13. Constant Collectibles mostly Pop Toys, graphic novels way out in suburbs of Vancouver, BC.

22 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Perhaps 7 shops, if that is defined as still having overstock from 25-30 years ago boom times. Visited my 3rd LCS. No FEV flyers there yet either.

#13. Constant Collectibles mostly Pop Toys, graphic novels way out in suburbs of Vancouver, BC.

No, I mean GA/SA/BA back issues as well as the CA and MA you see everywhere. The last time I was able to hit Golden Age between meetings downtown a year and a bit ago they had next to nothing for older stuff in the store.

13 minutes ago, kimik said:

No, I mean GA/SA/BA back issues as well as the CA and MA you see everywhere. The last time I was able to hit Golden Age downtown a year and a bit ago, they had next to nothing for older stuff in the store.

GA Collectables has there more diverse mixed GA, mags, and SA filed in mag boxes BEHIND the glass counter so you have to ask to see them or have a want-list. There are about 3 comic shops left with decent SA, BA, CA selection if you include their consignment section which is no discount.

1 hour ago, kimik said:

No, I mean GA/SA/BA back issues as well as the CA and MA you see everywhere. The last time I was able to hit Golden Age between meetings downtown a year and a bit ago they had next to nothing for older stuff in the store.

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

GA Collectables has there more diverse mixed GA, mags, and SA filed in mag boxes BEHIND the glass counter so you have to ask to see them or have a want-list. There are about 3 comic shops left with decent SA, BA, CA selection if you include their consignment section which is no discount.

Yes, if the 3 comic shops are what I think you are thinking. I had been to nearly all stores over GVR region here with two stores I have not visited. The Detla comic store is new to me, and Four Aces store the same thing new to me. I am surprised that ComicLand store still stands when it should had closed. 

Few stores here have little GA in stock, only GA collectibles store has ... you could say, the most stock, in their counter in back of store. Most stores I had visited from time to time, usually have from BA to new in range. Once in a while... would have some SA books pop up for sale. I haven’t brought much SA from stores for a long time. Nor with GA books. 

3 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

GA Collectables had nothing of interest when I asked them to pull stuff out. The books were either overgraded or overpriced (or both). The selection of keys/high demand books was very limited that visit as well. Maybe they have added stock since then.

2 hours ago, kimik said:

GA Collectables had nothing of interest when I asked them to pull stuff out. The books were either overgraded or overpriced (or both). The selection of keys/high demand books was very limited that visit as well. Maybe they have added stock since then.

Maybe... maybe not. It is a hit and miss sometimes. Of course, my last purchases with the GA/SA section at this store were over 25-30 years ago. I’m biased when it comes with the local comic book stores around me here. 

Back to the main topic ... I wonder if FEV will yield some good deals  in the GA/SA/BA section in the show? Last year I only found two on my want list. This year, I doubt that...

2 hours ago, kimik said:

GA Collectables had nothing of interest when I asked them to pull stuff out. The books were either overgraded or overpriced (or both). The selection of keys/high demand books was very limited that visit.

Most of the keys are sent for pressing and Cgc or Voldemort slabbing by the proprietor once purchased. Not quite sure why GA Collectables has a bundle of lower grade slabbed early ASM in Cgc 3.0 or 2.5 in stock, as barely worth slabbing(?). Sloppy seconds left after the Gang of 4 (greggy, Thanos88, Fan Boy, aardvark88) scoops (: out the semi-keys.

A day early:

Please welcome Pop Sensation and Creator Extraordinaire Lights to FAN EXPO Vancouver! She will be on hand Saturday afternoon to sign copies of her graphic novel Skin and Earth and Metropolis Comics will have issues on hand!  

E57B5626-C324-43A6-ABAB-7137B2D50708.jpeg

On 9/30/2018 at 2:26 PM, aardvark88 said:
On 9/30/2018 at 11:22 AM, kimik said:

GA Collectables had nothing of interest when I asked them to pull stuff out. The books were either overgraded or overpriced (or both). The selection of keys/high demand books was very limited that visit.

Most of the keys are sent for pressing and Cgc or Voldemort slabbing by the proprietor once purchased. Not quite sure why GA Collectables has a bundle of lower grade slabbed early ASM in Cgc 3.0 or 2.5 in stock, as barely worth slabbing(?). Sloppy seconds left after the Gang of 4 (greggy, Thanos88, Fan Boy, aardvark88) scoops (: out the semi-keys.

It's most likely because if the owner has any book of real value, it would NOT be for sale as he tends to keep those kinds of books or anything even closely approaching it in either his personal collection or in his NOT YET FOR SALE inventory stock. :gossip:

And who can blame him, especially when he doesn't have a real need to sell them right now and these kinds of books also tend to consistently go up in value over time.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/17/2018 at 4:40 PM, Fan Boy said:
On 9/6/2018 at 1:10 PM, Kevin Boyd said:

Vancouver is not on CGC's schedule. 

You sure? Was hoping CGC would be in there.  Guess I need go to ECCC to get my books submitted. :p

On 9/18/2018 at 8:05 AM, Kevin Boyd said:

I'm just going by their calendar. 

Really, would it not make more sense for you to simply check your own Dealer list to see whether CGC has booked a table for this convention.

Anyways, I went over to the FEV website and pulled up the list of Retailers that will be there.  Looks like the "other" grading company will be there, but no CGC this time.  Also looks like the biggest LCS in the city (i.e. GA Collectables) will also not be setting up at the con on this go round.

Less reason to fork over big dollars then to attend another comic con filled mostly with non-comic book related booths.  :frown:

Vancouver Comic Con was at Heritage Hall a few weeks back.

Fan Expo Vancouver has never promised or promoted itself to be just a comic con. So you get a mixture of pop culture vendors, not just comics.

I said CGC was not coming, I was not incorrect. 

Edited by Kevin Boyd

Pom Klementieff has had to cancel, she sends her regrets. I think they are doing some additional shooting for Avengers 4.

____

We're bringing some Legends of Tomorrow to FAN EXPO Vancouver! Please welcome Brandon Routh (The Atom) & Caity Lotz (White Canary) to the show!

42996075_1858558744257627_9092984577869217792_n.jpg

Edited by Kevin Boyd

COMIC GUEST SEATING

Fan Expo Vancouver is coming up quickly on October 12-14.

Here's the comics pro guest seating:

By Surname:

P35 PETER BAGGE
P15 MATT BATT BANNING
P12 IAN BOOTHBY 
P20 RON CHAN
P24 MATTHEW CLARK
P36 JASON COPLAND
P31 JOHN DELANEY
P14 FRANCINE DELGADO
P43/P44 CAMILLA D'ERRICO
P01 DAVE DORMAN