• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EOSV 2 CGC 9.8 - Question about inner well problem or damage after grade?

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I've had this for a while and didn't actually notice the problems until I went to sell it.  I honestly didn't notice any of this as it's not super obvious straight on and I kept it in a mylar and just tucked it in a box. If you look at the pictures with the most glare you can see some waviness on the cover.  Is this from the inner well? Moisture damage?  I don't think it was damaged in the box since none of my other books it was stored with show any similar signs.  Should I get this re-cased? Am I hosed?  Returning is out of the question as I've had this for a long while, and I honestly don't expect the dealer even realized.

20180624_205439.thumb.jpg.c4eb9c41b4c2b8505b6b267feb810e52.jpg20180624_205518.thumb.jpg.c0af03fd1dc355ddd437a619d4bacab3.jpg20180624_205257.thumb.jpg.a7f75a9228ec4277e22ea75c137ffbc4.jpg

To me it looks completely fine.  However, I really enjoy the new cases so it wouldn't hurt to send it in for a re-holder (might also make your book more appealing).  If you can post better pics of what you're talking about that may reveals something more to us, though (but from what I see I don't see anything wrong).

Good luck, either way! :) 

From what I've seen, and my experiences are admittedly limited, the older cases seem to suffer greater risk of humidity. I've seen labels with significant waviness/rippling that you can tell is clearly due to humidity. I think its because the older shells are not as tight and the inner sleeve and label just sort of sit in there, where with the new case design the label is pressed tight between the hard plastic shell. Whether the book itself is wavy or the inner sleeve is hard to say. It may be the appearance of waves caused by the sleeve warping a bit in places over time, and not being tight enough inside the hard case. It may be the comic itself, as many comics over the past 10 years suffer natural waviness due to the poor paper quality combined with too much ink on the page. 

I would consider a re-slabbing in the new case to see if that takes care of the problem. 

Although I will say this, humidity waves are usually vertical, that meaning, you see the waves looking down at the top of the book. These appear to be more horizontal in nature. I wonder if there isn't some pressure inside the well that is misplaced? It almost looks like the waves you would see on the recalled cases from a few years ago.