• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 129 goes from Blue 9.0 to Restored 8.5?
2 2

47 posts in this topic

A few years back, this happened on a JIM 83. I followed the events closely because it was originally my book, in a Universal Label,  which I traded + cash to a Boardie for an upgrade. He immediately cracked it open and sent it to CGC on a Walkthrough, no pressing as I don't think CCS existed yet. He got a Trimmed Purple and ranted on the Boards. After multiple resubs, at least 3, It eventually got overturned back to a Universal. Apparently, the book was sent in during con season and all the key players were out-of-office. My opinion was they caved to the Board reaction. (shrug) Harshen came on the Boards and clearly stated that unless a book is resubmitted in the slab, and opened by CGC personnel, no compensation would be given. In the the JIM 83 case, the owner had clear pictures of it in the Universal slab and my corroboration of the story. Here, there is not even a picture of the 9.0 slab, just a label with the cert number hidden. I just don't see how CGC can validate this story. Regarding a raw resub having 50/50 odds, I don't think so. It's similar to a sports challenge where the call on the field stands unless there is visual evidence to the contrary. 

6 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Dear faster friends: I appreciate your opinion and support for our fellow comic book enthusiast, but I'm curious as to what you're basing these odds on. Have you had this same situation happen twice and were able to get them to reverse their decision on at least one occasion? If I'm following the story correctly so far: This would mean that a one-time blue label book in 9.0 with OW/W pages was cracked out of the holder, shipped raw to CCS, given a pressing, then sent to CGC and given an 8.5, an upgrade in page quality, and a purple label...but that's not all. When resubmitted for further review, the decision is miraculously reversed and the book in question is given back the blue label. I suppose that while they're at it, they may as well restore the 9.0 grade and the Off-White to White pages and just forget the whole debacle. If you (or anyone else) are able to pull this off on a semi-consistent basis, I am, and always will be, suitably impressed...(worship)  

It's been proven time and time again that CGC cannot reliably detect trimming. This particular copy has already been given a blue label and a purple label on separate occasions. One of those assessments must be incorrect. What do you think are the odds?

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Regarding a raw resub having 50/50 odds, I don't think so. It's similar to a sports challenge where the call on the field stands unless there is visual evidence to the contrary.

That's a terrible analogy. If they receive it (raw) again, there is no call on the field. It's a brand new play.

CGC has seen the book twice. They offered both possible opinions. One time they were right and the other time they were wrong. Which is which? (shrug)

6 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

That's a terrible analogy. If they receive it (raw) again, there is no call on the field. It's a brand new play.

CGC has seen the book twice. They offered both possible opinions. One time they were right and the other time they were wrong. Which is which? (shrug)

The image of the 9.0 label he showed us is of a previous generation. I don't know why but he hid the cert number so we can't tell when it was originally graded. Assuming it was graded by a different team, the current team has Haspel and Matt Nelson. The best in the business for resto detection. I just don't think they will see it differently upon getting the book again. Sure, there's a chance, but I don't think 50/50.

29 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I guess we'll have to wait and see...

5 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Are you sure about this? So far, all we've heard is a very interesting story. This whole thing could be a complete fabrication for all we know…(shrug)

That’s precisely why I wouldn’t expect CGC to offer any compsensation. It would be too easy for someone to just make up a story. 

NOTE - I am not suggesting the OP made anything up.