• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SD Comic-Con Panel Discussion On Noteworthy Community Issues - Input Sought

120 posts in this topic

I agree with you 100%.

And do you not agree that Chris Matthews, Tim Russert or John McLaughlin, for example, very much articulate their own personal opinions during their interviews, or at the very least present the opposing position of their guests in order to stimulate the discussion?

And if you do agree, then what basis do you or anyone else have, none of whom know me at all either, that I would not run the panel discussion in a professional and successful manner?

I'm sure you'll do a fine job and it should be interesting, wish I could be there...good luck! thumbsup2.gif

Which Is Better: The Old Godzilla or the New Godzilla?

No contest. Old Godzilla! poke2.gif

Boy, are you ever wrong! makepoint.gif

poke2.gif

(actually,.....you're right!)

If someone can bring a tape recorder to the panel discussion and let us use it, I will gladly pay to have it transcribed for everyone to read.

Mark,

If you have a laptop with a microphone, you can use software like this: LINK to record the panel.

Alternatively, you could hire a local court reporter to record the panel stenographically. Legalink has court reporters all over the country, and if you're going to pay to have the panel transcribed from a recording, the cost of having a court reporter there for an hour and a half probably wouldn't be much more than the cost of transcribing a tape. www.legalink.com

Hello. This is being held at a GIANT CONVENTION CENTER. They have people who will set up videotaping and audiotaping of your panel, and probably provide transcription services. Doesn't ANYBODY on this board ever set up conferences? foreheadslap.gif

Contact 619-525-5110 - ask for anyone in Event Management

Hello.

Hello.

This is being held at a GIANT CONVENTION CENTER. They have people who will set up videotaping and audiotaping of your panel, and probably provide transcription services. Doesn't ANYBODY on this board ever set up conferences? foreheadslap.gif

No.

Hello.

Hello.

This is being held at a GIANT CONVENTION CENTER. They have people who will set up videotaping and audiotaping of your panel, and probably provide transcription services. Doesn't ANYBODY on this board ever set up conferences? foreheadslap.gif

No.

Well, I knew YOU haven't, but you surely have minions who have. grin.gif

You must have Scott confused with a PARTNER. poke2.gif

mad.gif Senior associates have minions. They are called "mid-level associates," "junior associates," and "paralegals." makepoint.gif

Of course, word on the street is that I may soon be a managing copy partner boy boss so 893censored-thumb.gif you anyway. yay.gif

mad.gif Senior associates have minions. They are called "mid-level associates," "junior associates," and "paralegals." makepoint.gif

Of course, word on the street is that I may soon be a managing copy partner boy boss so 893censored-thumb.gif you anyway. yay.gif

So in short, you're an aspiring minion... poke2.gifsmirk.gif

Jim

So in short, you're an aspiring minion... poke2.gifsmirk.gif

Jim

People who work for the gubmint probably shouldn't be poking fun at the careers of those who don't. poke2.gif

I'm interpreting this as meaning either:

1. you're going to be up this year 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

2. you're making a move where you'll be made up 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif or

3. you're going to go work for Mark 27_laughing.gif

893whatthe.gif

I could use the help!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I would be a counterproductive addition to the firm. We'd do nothing but sit around talking about comics and pressing all day. poke2.gif

Subtraction by addition. Now thats a concept that hasn't been fully exploited yet. Kind of like losing money on every sale but making it up with volume.

So,what happened at the panel?

The relevant portions of my SD Comic-Con report posted in the General Section that pertain to the panel discussion:

With respect to the panel discussion I coordinated, it went exactly as I promised it would (so to all you cynics who had nothing better to do than criticize what you had no clue about), and I thought it turned out very well. As a reminder the panelists were myself, Jon Berk (collector), Maggie Thompson (CBG Editor), Mark Wilson (PGCMint), Tom Gordon (Gemstone) and Daniel Patterson (PGX). I would estimate about 50 people attended and audience participation was high. We could have easily focused entirely on the topics of restoration and/or pressing, and no doubt I will arrange for panels simply on those topics in the future, but this first panel was to have a broader range and that it did. The questions that were sent out to the panelists in advance of the event were exactly as follows (and most of them were asked/discussed/covered during the course of 90 minutes):

Q. How has the comic book collecting and investment hobby/market changed in the last two decades? How have your own views changed over the years? What is so compelling about comic books that continue to bring in young people that other collectible hobbies seem to lack? What do you envision for the future of our hobby?

Q. What changes, if any, have to be made to the standards within our hobby such as grading? How reliable nowadays is the Overstreet Price Guide on the true market? What role does it play? Has that role changed?

Q. What impact has the introduction of independent grading services such as CGC and PGX brought to the comic book community? What roles do such companies play within our community? Has it engendered greater trust? To what extent do they serve the interests of the community or merely act as profitable business models? Or can they be both? [We can also discuss how detailed should the grading labels be, how new pedigrees are designated, what evidence is necessary to determine a pedigree has been submitted, how to minimize resubmissions or grading variances, what standards should be followed and should those standards be disclosed?]

Q. Does restoration deserve the stigma that has clearly attached? Why is it that restoration is viewed so different for comics versus other collectibles? Is there be a distinction between restoration and conservation? Should restored Golden Age books be viewed differently than Silver Age books? What do you foresee as the future market for restored comics?

Q. Several years ago an organization called the American Association of Comic Book Collectors was created, and it attempted to promote ethical standards for the community. With the introduction of e-bay, and better restoration detection techniques, as just two examples, the term caveat emptor is very much alive and well for comic book buyers. What ethical standards exist within our buying/selling community, and where could we be stronger? What can be done to protect buyers more?

Q. Do you consider pressing to be a form of restoration? To what extent can pressing be detected? Regardless of whether pressing is considered restoration, should it be disclosed to potential buyers? What is your opinion of CGC's parent company starting a pressing service down the hallway from those who will be grading the same books?

I actually think it worked out well that Steve B bowed out of the panel and Daniel Patterson took his place. Not many people have seen or heard Daniel, and in fact he noted that it was the first time he really ever appeared for public speaking. His comments were interesting and it was nice to see him make a public presence.

Both myself and Jon Berk audiotaped the panel but quite honestly I have not yet listened to the tapes to see how they came out. I know I messed up and neglected to turn the tape over and definitely missed probably at least 15 minutes. However, Jon said he believes he covered the entire panel. I know the few seconds I listened to on my tape came out clear, but that was me talking only and obviously the tape recorder was right in front of me. Hopefully the Q & As from the audience are discernable for transcription. Also, if the tapes come out clear enough the recording will probably be made available online through RealPlayer. I'll keep everyone posted.

Substantively the discussion was good. Obviously the electricity surrounded the last two controversial topics. I was pleased to see that although there were certainly a variety of different opinions on both restoration and pressing, the vast majority of those in attendance believed that pressing should be disclosed by a seller if known, regardless of the characterization of what it might or might not be, and then let the marketplace decide how it feels about the price.

I welcome any additional comments/suggestions/constructive criticism regarding the panel, its members or the content. I do hope to hold similar panels at other conventions. popcorn.gif