• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Graded books

27 posts in this topic

Hello folks! How do folks feel about purchasing books graded by other companies? I’m thinking in terms of buying a book, cracking the slab and then submitting to cgc. 

I imagine all companies grade slightly different to an extend or at least not as strict or well versed. Worth it if the book is a high grade from another company or just buy cgc for the guarantee of the grade. Thanks!

10 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

Hello folks! How do folks feel about purchasing books graded by other companies? I’m thinking in terms of buying a book, cracking the slab and then submitting to cgc. 

I imagine all companies grade slightly different to an extend or at least not as strict or well versed. Worth it if the book is a high grade from another company or just buy cgc for the guarantee of the grade. Thanks!

If you know how to grade, it shouldn't be an issue to buy any other company's slabs to crack and sub to CGC. 

If you treat them like raw books, you should be fine. The caveat, of course, is that you can't crack the books out to inspect them. But, mostly you'll see what the problems are from outside the case.

If you're just going to submit it to CGC anyway, then why not just buy one already graded by CGC?

If it's to crack and store raw, then that's reasonable and something I've done before.

Some cgc books tend to be a little more pricey than other companies so looking for a particular book at a cost I can afford. 

I’m not well versed to grade on my own. From the looks of it there’s definitely some spine stress and a few ticks (some color breaking not all though), along with a small stain on the front and back corner respectively.

18 minutes ago, rogue14 said:

Grades and company aside, there's a lot of nice slabbed books in the marketplace. Even if your goal is to eventually have only CGC graded books in your collection, you shouldn't rule out buying a book not slabbed by the CGC and then at some future time, submitting it to the CGC, just for collection continuity and because books graded by the CGC have a larger buyer pool, higher marketability, thus higher resale value in general. I'm a believer of buying the book, not the label. Though I agree with CGC grades far more than I tend to do with books slabbed by other companies, my belief that the CGC makes the most accurate calls and most consistently But there's always the chance of coming across a gem not slabbed by the hobby leader. So yes. Buy the pieces you find the most attractive, the most historic and meaningful to you, and if not slabbed by the CGC, that can always and should be remedied later on.

when you get into bronze and especially silver/golden age books, you should consider that other companies generally don't have the quality of restoration checking that CGC has, and the inconsistency in grades could be worth hundreds of dollars.   Especially if you yourself don't have those skills to see for yourself.  Of course those same inconsistencies could lead to potential profit too.....

Can't find the book already graded by cgc? I'd factor in a minimum of $100 for what your thinking about doing.so if the book is available and graded by cgc but at a higher price? Might be worth the hassle to buy already graded by cgc.

2 hours ago, rogue14 said:

Some cgc books tend to be a little more pricey than other companies so looking for a particular book at a cost I can afford.

It's not going to be cheaper to buy non-cgc, crack, send to cgc, than just buying cgc in the first place unless it's a big spread

Edited by SteppinRazor

14 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

It's not going to be cheaper to buy non-cgc, crack, send to cgc, than just buying cgc in the first place unless it's a big spread

It’s a pretty significant difference in cost. 

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If you know how to grade, it shouldn't be an issue to buy any other company's slabs to crack and sub to CGC. 

If you treat them like raw books, you should be fine. The caveat, of course, is that you can't crack the books out to inspect them. But, mostly you'll see what the problems are from outside the case.

I can rarely see what the problems are from outside the outer well.  It is only with that gone that the problems manifest.

2 hours ago, MadGenius said:

If you're just going to submit it to CGC anyway, then why not just buy one already graded by CGC?

If it's to crack and store raw, then that's reasonable and something I've done before.

Yeah - really.  If you're just looking for the number, buy the CGC grade.  They encapsulate a lot of 9.0s as 9.4s.

Edited by lizards2

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I can rarely see what the problems are from outside the outer well.  It is only with that gone that the problems manifest.

That's cuz you're old.

Maybe.  Remember, I don't believe in any grading company's grade.  You are never sure of the actual grade, unless you can grade, and you crack it out of whatever case it is in.

9 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Maybe.  Remember, I don't believe in any grading company's grade.  You are never sure of the actual grade, unless you can grade, and you crack it out of whatever case it is in.

Well...I was joking, but what is "the actual grade"...? I don't believe in such a thing. I don't think you do, either.

Lots of...younger...people get all up in arms about grade changes on resubmission, because they believed the book was THAT original grade.

I spent a LOT of time over at the CBCS board trying to educate people that grading is subjective, because so many people there thought they were actually being scammed because a book changed grade upon resubmission. They weren't, obviously. But they got so wrapped up in the number on the label, it caused very negative reactions in a lot of people, reactions that were not only not correct, they were totally unnecessary.

I hope it made a difference, and I think it did, because people who are spastics about the number on the grade suffer a lot when they don't understand that a book can be a 9.4 on one day, a 9.6 on another, and a 9.2 on another, and none of those grades is wrong.

When people understand that...things go a lot better for their mental health.

Thanks folks! I might just snag it and hope for the best, or just leave it in the case it’s in for now. Can’t pass up the opportunity for a hulk 181 slab.

Edited by rogue14
Verbiage

I saw some scans of that you posted prior to my signing back in, front cover looks like it is wrinkled from moisture damaged. I'm no expert on such matters, but I think those would press out, others more well versed in such matters may have been able to have said,. As it stands, I'd say it was in the region of a 5.0/5.5, but I did only catch the briefest of glimpses.

Edited by Gnasher

31 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I saw some scans of that you posted prior to my signing back in, front cover looks like it is wrinkled from moisture damaged. I'm no expert on such matters, but I think those would press out, others more well versed in such matters may have been able to have said,. As it stands, I'd say it was in the region of a 5.0/5.5, but I did only catch the briefest of glimpses.

I’ll repost the pictures. Apologies if this is not the right place to post pictures.

I can definitely see some tick marks on the front spine and the stain on the back. Maybe a crease on the back bottom corner too. Hard to tell as mentioned while in the case.

E0518BBE-3652-4284-86E0-75598C2F5A72.jpeg

4926C582-FF08-4268-81FE-326C4A85D7FD.jpeg