• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

selling to mycomicshop.com
1 1

43 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, nocutename said:

Here's my experience trading with MCS.  They are the only dealer that I know of that will buy a large range of comics.  They take books that I could not sell on a forum or ebay for that matter.   I have sold individual comics to them as well as a full runs.  Almost every time, the total amount I receive is just slightly more that the submitted amount.  I don't get caught up in what they downgraded or upgraded, I just focus on I want x amount for this lot.  I love selling books to MCS and when I did, more often than not, I took the credit to order more.  Everything was processed fairly quickly.  What sucks now is the shipping expense doesn't make sense unless I have an expensive book to put into the lot. 

My current experience with a popular semi-local dealer that is known to purchase large collections was a complete waste of time.  I was willing to sell him two highly sought after runs along with two other runs.  He would not give me an idea of what price point he would be willing to pay even though I gave him a grade range via email.  Nor was he willing to take the other two runs which really wasn't a lot of books either.  I like that dealer and have purchased from him in the past when I was actively collecting but I probably would never purchase from him again. 

On the flip side my LCS guy no longer offers to price a collection.  What happens is people use him to price collections, then sell on ebay.

14 hours ago, kav said:

On the flip side my LCS guy no longer offers to price a collection.  What happens is people use him to price collections, then sell on ebay.

Yes that is true.  Mine was a bit different as it was basically two runs and two partial runs.  I know what they are worth and I told him I would rather sell them locally then on ebay.  So, that eliminated the, "I am just pricing them out via his estimate".   I don't like selling anything on ebay over $100.  Why?  Because I have been shaken down by a buyer for partial refund once because honestly they wanted the item cheaper.  I should have blocked them after the second email.  I gave them the refund which was at the price point they wanted to originally spend.  But the notion that I can sell it and paypal or ebay has the right to rip the money out of my account, isn't a risk I am willing to take for higher price pointed items.  Those, I tried in the past to sell locally.

Sometimes, it isn't worth the hassle to squeeze out every dollar, if it is going to be a fight at the end.   I haven't sold anything from my collection in a few years aside from a trade with MCS.  I figured going through a comic dealer would work out.  This particular dealer is known to purchase all types of collections.  I wasn't selling my full collection just little to lighten the load.  Again, the runs are in demand, Harley Quinn and Gotham City Sirens.  The dealer just wanted to cherry pick those without purchasing the other two which was only about 50 more comics.  So for me, that isn't right. 

My collection isn't full of high priced items.  I don't like to purchase them as they aren't as liquid for me.  Plus, when I was collecting, I enjoyed reading and selling to get newer runs.  That was mainly why I stayed interested in the hobby.

On 7/3/2018 at 11:16 PM, AllStar-Comics said:

Its not taking  about less money   Its being told unread 9.6/9.8 books are VF  Advertising a buy price but then downgrading almost everything sent it is what bothers me. What is the probability that you sent in 40 copies of the same comics that were new/bagged/boarded from day 1 and and 40 get downgraded to VF  I could see a handful at worst had some printing defect or maybe got dinged in bulk shipping.

Not singling you out, but wanted to use this as a jumping off point as I've seen this type of description a couple of times now: "New/bagged/boarded from Day 1" doesn't mean that a book is automatically 9.6/9.8. Tons of books arrive from Diamond in VF shape right out of the box. Buying a book fresh off the stand, or even right out of the case, doesn't mean that a book is automatically NM+ or better. Should those conditions improve your chances of owning a 9.6/9.8 book? Sure! But it's definitely no guarantee. So, someone buys a book "fresh off the stands", automatically bags and boards it, then doesn't look at it again until they send it away, it's entirely possible that they missed something when they initially purchased it, and it's been a VF book all along. 

Now, as for my personal experience with MCS, I've sold to them a few times, and generally found our grading came pretty close to agreeing. But then again, I don't really send them anything higher than a VF anyway, because I can sell a NM or better on my own. Selling to MCS is convenient for "dumping" a bunch of stock when I pick up a collection that I don't want to take the time to piece out. In the instances where our grading has disagreed, it wasn't worth fighting over, and entirely possible that I missed something on my side. But again, I wouldn't know about submitting the nosebleed grades to them, because those are books I'd keep and sell on my own. Just my two cents.

Edited by F For Fake