• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original 100 Acre Wood map sells for $570K

12 posts in this topic

The original map of Winnie-the-Pooh’s Hundred Acre Wood by artist E.H. Shepard was bought for a record-breaking 430,000 pounds ($570,137) on Tuesday, auctioneers Sotheby’s said.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-pooh-map/poohs-original-hundred-acre-wood-map-sells-for-auction-record-idUSKBN1K020W?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5b44f67d04d301409481ebdb&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Original art by Shepard is quite rare.   Small drawings of Pooh and others have easily gone mid-5 figures.  Add in the iconic image to a classic's children book and the price doesn't surprise me.   

Congrats to seller and new owner!

Part of me is disappointed knowing that the Walt Disney Co. didn't buy it up to showcase somewhere like the Walt Disney Museum in the Presidio.  Another part of me hopes the buyer allows it to be showcased alongside the actual toys in the NYC Museum.

That said, I wonder how much the actual toys are insured for.  If the map alone is valued at 500k+, then the original Pooh bear must surely be worth at least a few million right?  Or at this point is its value the same as the Mona Lisa and it's simply "priceless".

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, malvin said:

That's a great line :P

Malvin

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:09 PM, alxjhnsn said:

I love that map, but selling the house to get it would leave me without a wall on which to hang it. :)

That's the new Gift of the Magi.

14 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

That said, I wonder how much the actual toys are insured for.  If the map alone is valued at 500k+, then the original Pooh bear must surely be worth at least a few million right?

This sounds like the Winnie-the-Pooh equivalent of "well, since the ASM #328 cover went for $657K and the DKR #3 splash went for $448K, then ___ must surely be worth..." 

6 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

This sounds like the Winnie-the-Pooh equivalent of "well, since the ASM #328 cover went for $657K and the DKR #3 splash went for $448K, then ___ must surely be worth..." 

Are they really so different though?  The map is based on the characters.  Without the original Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, etc plush toys, the map would not exist.  They are the foundation for all the adventures of the 100 acre woods and precede the map and even the book.  Therefore, I would expect that any increase in value of the map would result in a higher value for the plush toys.

I think a more appropriate analogy would be the valuation of a book vs the original cover.  For example, if ASM300 continues to rise over time, then I would expect the original art cover for the book should increase as well.  (I'm still completely new to the world of original art, so i don't know if that's how the market actually works, it's just how I perceive it to be.  So if I'm wrong on that, feel free to correct me on it.)

5 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Are they really so different though?  The map is based on the characters.  Without the original Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, etc plush toys, the map would not exist.  They are the foundation for all the adventures of the 100 acre woods and precede the map and even the book.  Therefore, I would expect that any increase in value of the map would result in a higher value for the plush toys.

I think a more appropriate analogy would be the valuation of a book vs the original cover.  For example, if ASM300 continues to rise over time, then I would expect the original art cover for the book should increase as well.  (I'm still completely new to the world of original art, so i don't know if that's how the market actually works, it's just how I perceive it to be.  So if I'm wrong on that, feel free to correct me on it.)

But, the original Pooh was just a teddy bear bought from Harrod's that A.A. Milne's son named Winnie.  It doesn't look like the Winnie-the-Pooh that we know, and nor did any bit of it other than its adopted name (which was really from his son) spring from the mind or hand of A.A. Milne.  It's an interesting curiosity, the teddy the bear that inspired Winnie-the-Pooh, but, no one would spend millions of dollars on it IMO. 2c 

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

But, the original Pooh was just a teddy bear bought from Harrod's that A.A. Milne's son named Winnie.  It doesn't look like the Winnie-the-Pooh that we know, and nor did any bit of it other than its adopted name (which was really from his son) spring from the mind or hand of A.A. Milne.  It's an interesting curiosity, the teddy the bear that inspired Winnie-the-Pooh, but, no one would spend millions of dollars on it IMO. 2c 

was that the original Pooh? I thought it was a real bear that was a mascot for a Canadian Military unit that he later saw in a zoo?  heh, if I am right (this is based on a Canadian Heritage moment commercial, something only fellow Canadians would know) I wonder how much that stuffed bear is worth? :P

Malvin

11 minutes ago, malvin said:

was that the original Pooh? I thought it was a real bear that was a mascot for a Canadian Military unit that he later saw in a zoo?  heh, if I am right (this is based on a Canadian Heritage moment commercial, something only fellow Canadians would know) I wonder how much that stuffed bear is worth? :P

Malvin

If so, it is not worth nearly as much as if it never touched paw in the Great White North!