• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restored comics anyone?

130 posts in this topic

Speaking of, I've also noticed that purple label books tend to look nicer than their apparent grade. I saw a slabbed 8.0 with slight resto that looked like a 9.2.

The difference between amateur and professional restoration is not the quality of the work but the materials used to restore the comic.

I have to find fault with this as the "quality of the work" must be partially determined by the ingredients. Any restoration that uses sub-archival ingredients is NOT quality work. Plain and simple. Skill of application has no relevance to intelligent assessment of the materials to be used. A skillfull Magic Marker retoucher is still gonna find their retouch on the other side of the page.

Your point is very valid. In the art world restoration (that which can't be removed) is frowned on and severely impacts the price of the art piece, where as cleaning and rematting (removal of the art paper from its' original backing material) and colour touching using a crayon like material (which can be removed) is seen as preservation and ultimately can add enormous value to a work.

I honestly believe that a cover should be able to be cleaned and pressed without receiving a qualified grade as you are not making any structural change to the book itself. I would not hesitate to purchase a currently qualified book if that was the only thing that had been done.

I honestly believe that a cover should be able to be cleaned and pressed without receiving a qualified grade as you are not making any structural change to the book itself. I would not hesitate to purchase a currently qualified book if that was the only thing that had been done.

I have to say, such books are on my MOST WANTED list!

Off the topic I know, but I just noticed your profile collecting habits. How many Jumbo's and Jungles do you have?

About 40 or so in the Fine to Very Fine range. Actually I have stopped collecting them in favor of pre-code horror. Must change my description! grin.gif

restored comic books are like "fallen women"...once broken they can never regain their innocence! The whole concept of a comic book's value being directly proportional to the amount of damage done to it over time is in direct conflict with the artificial dressing-up of the damaged book to APPEAR in better condition than it truly is.

The pure luck or careful handling of a comic for years and years gives it its increased value compared to beat-up copies. I'm always amazed at the circumstance by which certain collections and sertain comics managed to remain in minty condition (like the Mile Highs) for 60 years! They are far rarer and in greater demand than your usual dinged copies. Thats the ballgame in a nutshell. Thats how comics collecting is played, now and forever.

If you want to buy a restored 9.4 or whatever for a fraction of the unrestored 9.4 price tag, you havent gotten a good deal on a 9.4! You've got a hand-painted thing of questionable value which may fill a whole in your collection but thats it. And, good luck trying to find the next guy to take it off your hands. You may find him, but its a far cry from "liquidity"

Maybe, tho in many many years, the demand will be such that restored books will be accepted as they are in movie posters etc...but I'm not holding MY breath or putting my money into them! Im talking about the massive overhaul jobs: color touch, pieces added, glueing and reinforcing. That FF#3 had a lot of work dude!

That was my point. Restoring books should lower the value as they have been structurally altered or enhanced. My only other comment was that I believe cleaning and pressing is PRESERVATION and should not receive a qualified grade. If it is good enough for the art world then it should be good enough for us (aren't comics an art form).

Restored books definetly have their place, especially in cases like the 2 books you mentioned, where the alternative is a significantly lesser looking copy. IMO, this is especially true with books that only have a dot or 2 of color touch, or trimming.

Trimming and slight color touch are not so bad. But when you have a books like James's FF #3 that has had significant resto work done with pieces added etc, it has become an entirely different book. It is no longer the same FF #3 bought off the shelf (and was probably a VG at best) but is now a frankenstien book made to LOOK like a high grade copy.

I'm always amazed at the circumstance by which certain collections and sertain comics managed to remain in minty condition (like the Mile Highs) for 60 years! They are far rarer and in greater demand than your usual dinged copies. Thats how comics collecting is played, now and forever.

I replaced the old paragraph with this one because my former old paragraph made little sense even to me. So let me just say I tend to disagree rather vehemenntly.

Someone - even a long term POV Hater - help me out here! blush.giffrown.gifmad.gifshocked.gifconfused.gif

Trimming and slight color touch are not so bad.

I think you know my stance on restoration - it is usually not a bad thing and often a good thing - but I have to say that trimming is VERY bad and should never be acceptable. It equates to total, irrevocable and intentional destruction (unless you want to include the trimmings with the book). ::shudder::

::someone please help me - I am overheating and near death - only an unrestored Action 1 in any grade (but no britle pages) will succor me! PM me for my address! In a pinch any late 30's/early 40's Timely/DC superhero #1 will do. Or lacking a superhero a Detective 1 is just fine.

Someone - even a long term POV Hater - help me out here!

Sorry...but you're on your own because I'm a duck lover! Stop roasting them! mad.gifwink.gif

I shall stir fry in future.

Dammit, you're going to clog all your arteries with all that fat in your system! Who's going to look after your undervalued pre-code horror then? crazy.gifsmirk.gif

Dammit, you're going to clog all your arteries with all that fat in your system! Who's going to look after your undervalued pre-code horror then?

Seriously? I always pull the skin and the fat from the duck before I eat it. Tastes every bit as good but a lot less cloggers!

I always pull the skin and the fat from the duck before I eat it.

But that's still like eating "light" lard! Less fat is still fat!

P.S. I don't like duck but peking duck rocks! smile.gif